What do you carry? - The mega thread

philfry

Forum Ride Along
Cell. Radio when on duty. Stupid ID Badge that is required. Maybe a pair of gloves in a pocket and shears (every time I forget them someone asks for them... usually at the ER). Hate having tons of stuff in my pockets or on my duty belt. I never leave the truck without a bag from the unit on scenes... should have everything I need there.

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Black boots, blue ****ies, gray polo shirt and a generic little ID tag. To answer the question I keep nothing on my belt.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Black boots, blue ****ies, gray polo shirt and a generic little ID tag. To answer the question I keep nothing on my belt.

not even a radio or cell phone??=D

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

couldnt you have just started with "i keep nothing on my belt" and be done with it??? did that little rundown of your uniform do something for you?

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Bryan, my cell phone is in my pocket and our company uses the nextel network to contact us. I did have the batman belt at one time however.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
my belt holds.....my pants up.:p

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well on my belt I carry:
  • Trauma Scissors
  • Glove Pouch
  • Cell Phone
  • Radio (sometimes)
  • Pager (sometimes)
  • Pocket Mask (if doing standby F/A and walking around)
And then my Penlight in my shirt pocket and a pen and little note book for notes. (meds, vitals, etc)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As expected, the amount of crap I carry has decreased, but I have found new tools that I will never give up. Possibly the most versatile and important thing I carry, I was taught by a preceptor (and now my permanent partner), and that is Index Cards. Just 10 or 20 with a small binder clip always live in my right shirt pocket. As long as I always put them back, they are a quick place to write down call info (and refer back to), take down patient info on emergencies, make (and keep) my own cheat-sheets, hold doors open, and share information with my partner.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Yeah im here, i will admit to what i carry.
iPhone (cell, pda, music, web, email, this site..)
Pager
Leatherman, Always at the ready, but in a secured holster.
Glove pouch. Nitrile. I am latex sens.
Shears
Wallet
Badge (required, Fugly)
Misc personal stuff (gum, ect)
Radio
3 Ink Pens, 3 colors. black blue red.
Penlight
littman.
Keys
Flip guide.
More Gloves. (never can find ones that fit on the rig)
4x4's
tape, 2 rolls.
Ham radio if I am on standby. (passes the time, SO is a ham as well)
misc bandaids
O2 Key/ mini regulator.
hand sanitizer.
small notebook, Doodles, Refrences ect.
Other stuff gets shoved in as needed.
If its a bad night, Maglight, 4D 3w LED
Glucose Gel.
Thats all i can think of. I went for things that have more than one use, rather than lots of extra things.

If i have a bad area to work in that night, the following is added
BPV,
stun pen,
and my usual RUN LIKE HELL card
(got mugged on shift once.)

How in hell do you walk with all that stuff strapped on yourself? My cojones would be on the ground! :unsure:

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
Nothing but my BlackBerry. I hate, with a burning passion, carrying things on my belt or in my pockets. So, I invested in an attache case ( and just for the record it is not a man purse.:glare:) I keep everything I could possibly need while pulling a 12, 24, or 48 hour shift. But for posting purposes, here is a quick synopsis of what I carry:

• Clipboard
  • County Map Book
  • Protocols
  • Various Textbooks
  • A plethora of pens
  • 4-5 Tarascon pocket guides
  • ALS flip guides
  • The all important PSP (spend close to $300 dollars just to play Lunar Lander and Missile Command;). Go figure.)
  • Wallet
  • PDA (still has all my med programs on it.)
  • Various hygienic amenities
  • and last but not least my bills!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
We have to carry fanny packs :(

Seriously? That sucks. Do you work for an ambulance company?

I always carry:
- 2 pens
- notebook with plethora of useful info and phone #s taped to the covers
- radio
- required glove/CPR mask pouch

When I'm not out in the field for SAR stuff I also carry:
- shears
- pager
- cell phone
- ID & key card for HQ
- a few bandaids when we work events because I will inevitably be asked for them about 800 times.

However on SAR missions and trainings we are all required to carry a pack with personal supplies - minimum enough food/water for ourselves and a victim for 48 hrs. I could probably live out of that thing for 2 months easy, and I'm a minimalist compared to everyone else on the team.

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
EMT in a crisis response unit for a fire department. So EMT is a small part of what I do BHS is a majority. It looks like I will be on with medical responders unit soon with the local sheriffs office. Then I am sure since EMT will be my main job I will have all kinds of stuff.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
What about your road safety fob??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I HATE that stupid :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: system...

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Now that I have a permanant station and truck, what I carry has decreased.

I carry my AMR Road Safety fob on my shoulder, 2 pens, trauma shears, a little girly-man wallet in my back pocket and a pack of gum. Everything else stays at the station and I grab as needed (flashlight if its dark, raincoat if its raining, etc) I also keep my cell phone on the truck visor. If we go in somewhere, I carry the portable.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
just one more of amr's facist employee control reforms

theres a system installed on every amr truck(or at least that was the original plan). before you start the engine, you have to wave this little transmitter infrom of the sensor. this way, they know whos driving. there are sensors in the truck that measure acceleration, braking and turning to evaluate driving that causes excessive wear and tear. there are two buttons in the rear of the vehicle, one inside and one outside. within a few seconds of shifting into reverse, one of these buttons needs to be pressed thus insuring that you have a back up spotter. anytime a violation of the parameters of the system is recorded, you can get gigged by the company.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy :censored::censored::censored::censored:! I'm glad I don't work for them. I can see why a program like this would be put in place, but that sounds pretty excessive.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
just one more of amr's facist employee control reforms

theres a system installed on every amr truck(or at least that was the original plan). before you start the engine, you have to wave this little transmitter infrom of the sensor. this way, they know whos driving. there are sensors in the truck that measure acceleration, braking and turning to evaluate driving that causes excessive wear and tear. there are two buttons in the rear of the vehicle, one inside and one outside. within a few seconds of shifting into reverse, one of these buttons needs to be pressed thus insuring that you have a back up spotter. anytime a violation of the parameters of the system is recorded, you can get gigged by the company.

I was thinking about working for them after school, but now I wonder. I don't want a checklist before I can drive-off or crank-up.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
It also measures speed... we can't go over 76 with l&s, 74 w/out... about 15 miles of heavily travelled interstate is in my zone.. we get flipped off very often because we can't go as fast as the flow of traffic