What do you carry? - The mega thread

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I really want to see a post on this thread by that guy who drives his own ambulance and admits to being 'a bit of a whacker'

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I think we have finally found some worthy competition for Jon to determine who is the biggest whacker...:p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I should mention it is a pocket paramedic. They are making everything amller these days.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think we have finally found some worthy competition for Jon to determine who is the biggest whacker...:p
Hey!

I'm slowly loosing weight... soon enough, someone else will be a "bigger" whacker than me!

:)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey!

I'm slowly loosing weight... soon enough, someone else will be a "bigger" whacker than me!

:)

slowly is right. jeez, if you take anymore time the earth is going to til off it axis and we're all in deep poop.

(sorry. i dont even know you on a personal level. i just feel so right...)

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I really want to see a post on this thread by that guy who drives his own ambulance and admits to being 'a bit of a whacker'

here here to that

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
duty belt

Can someone turn off the whacker alert alarm, please? :p Thanks.:rolleyes:

Guri

Attachments

• S2020077_.jpg
    S2020077_.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Can someone turn off the whacker alert alarm, please? :p Thanks.:rolleyes:

Guri

uuummm, is that your gear? if so, a pr24? maglite? two cellies and an frs radio(btw, please dont tell me your service uses family radios?)

the duty belt itself aside(lots of agencies either mandate or reccomend), you need to ask yourself "do i really need this" and thin that down.

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
KEVD18:

When I provide services to public beaches we use VHF radios (sometimes only one radio in order to call outside agencies -LE, EMS, fire, CG -really bad budgets in Argentina).

When I provide services privately I use GMRS radios (which are part of my own equipment). I would love to have VHF ones but I'm saving to buy an AED soon so... 6 GMRS radios cost almost the same as 1 VHF radio. Amazingly they have great range (up to 25 miles in non-urban areas) plus 22 channels each with 121 privacy codes. -More than what I often need here in Patagonia. (I'm planning to start providing my services no longer as "freelance" but as a private company hopefuly next Southern summer, and then I'll buy more advanced communications equipment).

Two phones... Yeah, sometimes I leave one at my POV if I can park it near my tower/stand/chair. One is a personal one, the second one is for work. Also, in some places in Patagonia not all cell phone companies have service. Meaning, it's not uncommon here to have at least two cell phones (each with a different service) -just in case. Oil companies workers usually carry a minimum of 3. A satelite phone would be nice, but way too expensive for me.

PR 24 "tonfa". Always at my POV. Here in Argentina protests, demonstrations and disturbs are routine. Many end up in road blocks. Diplomacy is always my chosen method to get through on my way to work but... Also, though as a professional lifeguard I carry my 28" rescue buoy (which is great for self defense and restriction) all the time while on the job, if I am called to an incident away from the beach / waterfront and/or there is a fight I carry the PR 24. (It is made in Argentina, not like the one from Monadnock but happily since I don't use it too often no need to spend $60+ on a tonfa baton, right?). I also carry it in those few occasions I have to do some long distance foot-patrol or bike patrol and sometimes when I get called from unguarded areas.

Thanks for your concern about the weight of the belt, but most of my time while on duty I wear red shorts, a whistle, pocket mask, Nitrile gloves and carry my patrol rescue can. However, I do often work in partially isolated and isolated areas (sometimes by myself) with no inmediate (over an hour or two) backup from any agency (LE, EMS, fire, CG) and if I have to respond to an incident that implies more than just a towing rescue out of a rip current or out of a twister at the river, then I carry more advanced stuff which is always at my tower/stand/chair (trauma jump bag, duty belt, etc.).

What always stay in my POV is my SCUBA diving gear (no point in loading/unloading that every day). Plus I use a different type of fins for rescue.

Obviously it would be different at a major public lifeguard service in CA, FL or HI but that's not my case. When in the US, my visa only allows me to work for private employers and I work at a summer camp as a river lifeguard (and last year) at a surf camp as an ocean lifeguard.

Argentina and USA have two extremely opposite EMS situations. Though it would be great to count on the resources standards of the US, the experience here helped me to get experience with a different perspective. Leading with Argentina's reality is a pain in the a$$ most of the time, but at the same time I consider myself lucky to get the best out of two worlds.

I haven't been back to Israel since I left at age 10 (so I can't say "...the best of three worlds" but for what I've seen and been told by friends EMS there is a mix of American and European standards with a bit of Israeli components).

OK, I better admit it, there's no excuse, I could qualify as a whacker but only because Batman is never around. LOL

Saludos,

Guri

Last edited by a moderator:

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
All our operational staff works in flight suits, no space really for anything besides in the pockets. If you have to, you can wear a separate belt, but uncomfortable and bulky.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
on belt: pager, leatherman, radio
in pockets: trauma shears, pen light, pen, gloves, ACLS field guide, phone, knife, pocket notebook, stethoscope.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Belt:
Pager
Occasionally my cell phone
Most of the time just my pager

Pockets:
Gloves
Field guide
Trauma Shears
Pen light
Little notebook

EMT815

Forum Probie
Belt:
-Pager
-Sometimes Cell phone
-Radio if I grab it

Pockets:
-Pens and lots of them
-Pen light
-Trauma shears
-Vitals pad
-Gloves
-Stethoscope
-Keys, wallet, etc
...And all that other stuff that seems to end up in your pockets at the end of a shift

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
On Belt: Mini Mag Lite
In Pockets:
Throw Up Bags
Red Bads
Tape 1" & 2"
Shears
Pen light
Roller Gauze
5x7's
And I've used it all, makes me feel better ha.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
On my belt:
I have a pouch for Trauma Shears, Gloves, Pen Light, Forceps.
Mobile Phone
Radio (if issued for the shift)

In my pocket:
More gloves (can never have enough gloves)
Pen
Notebook

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
On Belt: Mini Mag Lite
In Pockets:
Throw Up Bags
Red Bads (im guessing that means bags)
Tape 1" & 2"
Shears
Pen light
Roller Gauze
5x7's
And I've used it all, makes me feel better ha.

i keep all that bold stuff in the first in bag. less to carry around, just as accessible.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I sometimes keep a red bag in my coat pocket... because at 3am, it is great for a drunk college student

I'll stuff 4x4's and a cold pack in my thigh pockets when I'm walking around the convention center for the Auto Show and don't want to have to lug the BLS bag around... if it is BS, I can treat it... if it is bad... I'll survive until the medic gets there with the gear.

But every day?

mikie

Forum Lurker
Duty uniform: pager, knife.

I often wear my bunker pants on many calls (depending on the weather too). It only has two rear pockets. I have extra gloves and a pen in there. And I just did this tonight, on the suspenders, I put a glove holder (black Velcro thing) and going to carry non-latex gloves in it. The rigs have nonlatex but not as easy to get to (in a cabinet). I figured if on scene and the pt is allergic, I can switch quickly.