Narc keys
Strion flashlight

In my pockets:
Benchmade Knife
Money(rarely)
Pen

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, I just figured something out. If you need something on a call, all you have to do is make sure one of the new guys is responding with you and just stand next to them! So... it's either pack it yourself, or bring along your own fully stocked newbie.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey, I just figured something out. If you need something on a call, all you have to do is make sure one of the new guys is responding with you and just stand next to them! So... it's either pack it yourself, or bring along your own fully stocked newbie.
BossieCow for the win!

princess

Forum Crew Member
This thread is hilarious!! I didn't realize what kind of goofy stuff I carry - NOTHING on my belt until I step out of the truck, then maybe a portable radio

Left upper pocket:
personal cell phone (it vibrates!!)

Left lower pocket:
Burt's Bees lip balm (an absolute must!)
mints
tiny pocket mask (required by management)
pager
tiny little container thingy for meds (migraines-yuck!)

Right lower pocket:
wallet
Stride gum
notepad
pens (2)
trauma shears w/ attached penlight

I also have a little backpack that gets thrown in the truck somewhere. It has things like:
hand lotion (the good smelling antibacterial stuff)
flip book
ugly yellow traffic vest (we call these our "lingerie")
O2 wrench (because SOMEONE always looses them)
thermometer (see above)
dental floss (this is for me, not the patients!)
hair clip
mini pharmacopeia
more stuff that I don't use everyday - but gets used "some" days:p

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
my answers have changed a wee bit since I last posted on here, so i'll update :p
On belt:
-pocket mask and glove holder
-tactical knife (coming soon, hopefully delivered within the next week!)

In pockets:
-more gloves
-notepad
-pens (x2 or 3)
-penlight
-stethoscope (when its not over my shoulders)
-alcohol swabs (for quick cleaning of equipment)

in personal bag:
-wallet
-bottle of water, and granola bars for when there's no time to stop for food :p
-cell phone
-personal stuff
-shift schedule and observer protocol book
-more gloves

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, so we know what everybody carries on their belt now. Now what about the belt itself? What kind of belt do you wear on duty? A simple dress-type belt, a duty belt, a tactical belt, one of those rappelling type belts, what?

I wear a heavy-duty belt from Wal-Mart that's basically a duty belt (about 1.5" wide, black, simple metal buckle). All I carry on it is a SureFire 3P flashlight, and sometimes a cell phone holder.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
only my pants or shrtsand my radio when on a accident scene/major medical call. Other than that theres nothing i hae found I really need hanging on my belt, because if a 962(MVA) kicks out I either jumo in my brush pants or bunker pants, which I keep a light, penlight, shears, knife, rope, webbing, extrication gloves, short prybar/drywall breacher, door/sprinkler wedges and a multi-tool. Any other medical stuuf I carry a small fanny pack in my rescue/engine but hardly use it, because we bring out the trauma box, airway bag ect. So long story short, nothing lol on my belt.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well, i have to add a company issued and mandated text pager now....

as for type of belt, G+G nylon buckleless trouser belt. why? becaue it always fits. i add or lose a few, no prob.

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
Streamlight Stinger in a holster, cell phone in pocket and a whacker pack in the small of my back with: trauma shears, bandage shears, clamp, center punch, pen light, ear plugs, gloves, mouth shield, windproof lighter and cancer sticks. I carry my lockblade clipped into my pocket and a patient notebook in my right cargo pocket. Scope around neck, safety glasses tucked in the neck of my shirt. For MVC calls, leather gloves on a carabiner hooked to belt loop. For ambulance I just wear a leather belt....when Im in BDUs I wear a duty belt over the bdu blouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
I have a strict policy... no weapons period ! EMS has too many unstable (emotionally and psychologically) people. I don't care if their Trooper of the year, etc.. Doubtful, they would be able to control the situation if their involved in it.

I still say, try to avoid danger as much as possible, and leave the bullets and weapons to the professionals on duty.

In my 30 years, I have been in a few bad scenes (held hostage, shot at, etc..) Even through al of this, I do not see me or my partner having a weapon would helped, in fact maybe cause more damage.

This is not our job nor what services we are to provide. If you need to carry a weapon with you, you are not being safe and not enter the perimeter. Period.

R/r 911

This is why God invented Bucha's effects and a little flashlight with 12,000 candlepower. Remember, a safe scene can turn unsafe in the blink of an eye.

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
Radio, pager, cell phone, knife, and key to station. Why overload your belt with the same stuff you carry in your ALS bag? As a general rule I have found the more stuff on an EMT's belt...the newer he is.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I find no reason to carry anything more then:
Wallet, cell phone (personal), radio (when on duty), pager (when on and off duty for the convient "recall" button), pens, keys (station and bus), and pocket knife. I often have a pair of gloves or so stuffed in somewhere, as I seem to accumilate them over shifts, and they end up in my washing machine at home.
Anything else that I would need is never far away-- if I am away from the bus on a call, I always have a jump kit, that has everything I would ever need...

jwalsh

Forum Ride Along
On the duty belt I wear what is required flashlight,glovepouch,radio holster,handcuffs I keep the pager in my pocket to save space on belt

TraumaJunkie

Forum Crew Member
i have my mini mag and my radio. if its a messy call il tuck an extra pair of gloves in my belt. i dont need everything ever made on my belt. thats why we have an ambulance.

medic8613

Forum Crew Member
I sound like an EMS geek, but all except the knives, cell, and ciggaretts are required equipment. I would carry much less, but the chief gets really angry if we are missing equipment. It really sucks having all this crap...seriously. I would love to just be able to have the radio and my cell, but noooooooo.

Belt:
small flashlight/ 3 C cell maglite @ night
leatheman
cell phone
standard issue pager
radio
glove pouch (off duty too)

Pockets (jacket too):
knife
pen
notepad
penlight
trauma shears
ALS quick-flip guide
Protocol quick-flip guide
HAZ-MAT quick-flip guide
stethoscope
ciggarettes
lighter
ID (we don't actually wear our IDs...)
leather duty gloves

Other:
knife (conceled in waist band by my back pocket.) sshhh...im not supposed to conceal knives.
kevlar armor

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I sound like an EMS geek, but all except the knives, cell, and ciggaretts are required equipment. I would carry much less, but the chief gets really angry if we are missing equipment. It really sucks having all this crap...seriously. I would love to just be able to have the radio and my cell, but noooooooo.

Belt:
small flashlight/ 3 C cell maglite @ night
leatheman
cell phone
standard issue pager
radio
glove pouch (off duty too)

Pockets (jacket too):
knife
pen
notepad
penlight
trauma shears
ALS quick-flip guide
Protocol quick-flip guide
HAZ-MAT quick-flip guide
stethoscope
ciggarettes
lighter
ID (we don't actually wear our IDs...)
leather duty gloves

Other:
knife (conceled in waist band by my back pocket.) sshhh...im not supposed to conceal knives.
kevlar armor
wow... all those pocket guides... Chief must think the world is about to end and you won't know what to do! :)

disassociative

Forum Captain
Radio, Pen Light, Shears, Night Stick(for the belligerent j/k), Cell Phone;

I usually keep my shears in my pockets along with a fresh set of gloves and a CPR barrier on my keychain(in case I am caught while off duty with no BVM)

That's about it; nothing really that special.

medic8613

Forum Crew Member
wow... all those pocket guides... Chief must think the world is about to end and you won't know what to do! :)

Chief don't know a thing. He doesn't know intubation from cardioversion, so he knows everyone has a book he can look it up in.