What do you carry? - The mega thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Funny, I find I use my knife all the time. But, if you don't... That's cool too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Funny, I find I use my knife all the time. But, if you don't... That's cool too.

I use my leatherman a lot to be fair. Just not the locker, that's just a carry over from an old job.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

I second this, I carry a knife instead of shears at both my flight job and when I work fire department. Anything I can do with shears I can do with my knife, however some things I cut with my knife I cannot cut with shears. To each his own I guess. I am kinda a minimalist so if I can get away with one two that will do the work of two I am all about it.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I second this, I carry a knife instead of shears at both my flight job and when I work fire department. Anything I can do with shears I can do with my knife, however some things I cut with my knife I cannot cut with shears. To each his own I guess. I am kinda a minimalist so if I can get away with one two that will do the work of two I am all about it.

Really? You feel comfortable cutting away a patient's clothing with a knife rather than using shears? And I haven't yet come across something my shears couldn't get through. Even motorcycle leathers aren't too bad if you're doing it right. They call 'em penny cutters for a reason.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes I have successfully cut patients clothes off if needed with a knife without issues. Sharp edge away from patient and cut. If I happen to need shears they are in the medic unit, or trauma bag. This is a "what do you carry" ie: on your person thread.

Cutting wires in a door jam on a MVC, much easier with a knife, decent size rope, much easier with a knife.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Always have a knife in the pocket or waistband inside the belt, carry over from academy training and an old salty dog staff sgt trainer that pounded it in to us on an hourly basis for 4 months...also carry a coast folding fishing tool, has pliers at a 45 angle with a fine tip and the normal array of cutting tools inside. Run most of the time on a Rescue truck so we have just about every other imaginable tool in one of the compartments from A to Z.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
After seeing people hurt by edged tools and stuff (needles) when the unexpected happens on scene or in transit, and with the likelihood of blood exposure being so high if you nail yourself, I opted for scissors. Although it is a neat feeling and an artistic one when you can slide in the knife or V blade and glide away, one bump and you're worrying about bringing hep B home to your loved ones. If you didn't also put out for eye. Or skewered the pt.

Some autopsies rooms do not stock scalpels for that reason. Nearly anything can be done with scissors or shears, and if you need a really sharp tip, a scissors with a blunted but longer blade will be safer than playing Inigo Montoya.
Inigo-Montoya.jpg
But when it come time to cut structural stuff or heavier cable or line, then yes, get the kife, but I like a SHARP smooth blade not all this toothy serrated stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Flashlights

1. Older MiniMaglights have bulbs with two wires on the end. Impossible to change by touch in the dark.
2. LED's change appearance of tissue and patient colors so they influence assessment but they resist everything else. Cheap ones have bad switches and battery springs. HArd to change batteries in the dark.
3. I carried two lights: a twin-AA battery $4 Everready which I immediately put a krypton bulb into (plus spare batts and bulb), and a 9-LED three AAA batt Skil brand light I got from Kragen Auto for $4. For suburban SAR, a 12 LED headlamp ($6 on sale). I also have a small chemlight and when doing clnical stuff, my otoscope.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
When cutting athletic tape, I've most often used the Cramer Shark. It does work on clothing but you have to keep tension on it so the blade has a chance to do it's job. Very, very fast, and it's designed to be either pushed or pulled. The blade is also recessed so there's essentially no danger of being poked or sliced with it. Trauma shears will also do the job and will cut through more types of garments, so I normally carry that instead of the Shark... if I can even find mine!

mycrofft

I use the two dollar shears , invert them (spade tip up) and cut away, especially if I have to nibble as with tape..

Cheap V blade: ear tag cutter from a farm supply store. Skinny and cheap. Someday I'll get rid of mine, but it's so thin I forget to.

NYC911EMT

Forum Ride Along
my everyday gear...

FLASHLIGHT
RADIO W/SWIVEL HOLDER
PENLIGHT (streamlight stylus)
PEN
SHEARS
KNIFE
SCOPE
SKELL GEL

some people carry more, some ridiculously more

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
1. Older MiniMaglights have bulbs with two wires on the end. Impossible to change by touch in the dark.
2. LED's change appearance of tissue and patient colors so they influence assessment but they resist everything else. Cheap ones have bad switches and battery springs. HArd to change batteries in the dark.

A lot of the LEDs used in lights are 'cool white' tint with lots of blues that tend to wash out colors. They're used because they're brighter, and flashlight marketing is almost all about total lumen output, instead of the many other factors that should go into choosing a quality light.

Neutral or warm tints work better, and best yet for patient assessment in the dark are 'high cri' lights, which, since they're a niche market, can be hard to find.

Candlepower Forums is the place for more than you thought was possible to know about flashlights and other lighting technology. Not to mention responsible for putting a major dent in my wallet over the years.

AVParamedic1

Forum Ride Along
I Carry

-Gloves
-Pen (multi colour
-Pen (Black)
-Note Pad
-Yellow Sticky Notes
- Shears
- Mobile Phone (branch phone)
- Pager
- Radio
- Penlight
- Mini Maglite
- Protective eye wear
- Dual Head Stethoscope (keep my electronic stethoscope in my pants pocket)

hlax2525

Forum Ride Along
On my belt- pager
handheld radio
In pockets-
Pens, pen light, flashlight, gloves, wallet, phone, gum, shears, scope

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
I have:
  • My company pager
  • Cell Phone
  • Leatherman in Nylon Holster
I also carry the following in various pockets:
  • EMT Basic Quick Flip Guide
  • Local county protocols quick flip guide
  • Pens
  • Penlight (which I always end up losing)
  • and Trauma Scissors
What about you?

Trauma Scissors, Flip Book, Pocket Knife, Stehoscope, Ink pen and Cell Phone

sirguinness

Forum Probie
Well here goes...

Belt:
Key Clip
Radio Holster
Leather man

Shirt Pockets:
Notepad
Sharpie
Pens
Company ID
Penlight
EKG Calipers
Alcohol Preps and Bandaids

Pants Pockets:
Cell Phone
Portable SPO2
Rescue Knife
CAT Tourniquet
Lighter
Nail Clips
Utility Knife
Bloodkit for each local hospital(specific tubes)
2ea 16g, 18g, 20g, flushes
Wallet
Exam Gloves
5.11 Gloves

The purpose for so much is some of my partners don't have a clue where things are in the ambulance. That and things tend to walk off of the ambulance.