What are some things that you have been taught that is total BS?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Such as:

can't get a Radial pulse unless BP is over 80 S, Femoral pulse bp over 70, and carotid pulse with BP over 60 S.

High Flow O2 for everyone
but---
too much O2 can shut off resp drive on COPD patients
(I was taught both of the O2 ones in same EMT-B class)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
-That anything but CPR, defib and epinephrine has proven benefit in cardiac arrest
-That helicopters speed patients to trauma centers or offer any benefit to the average trauma patient
-That non-physiological mechanism of injury (damage to the car, injury to other persons, etc) can help predict severity of injury.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Endotracheal tubes prevent aspiration and are the "gold standard of airway management"

Fluid boluses of 20ml/kg are needed for the hypotensive trauma patient.

Norepinephrine is a pressor of last resort and people who get put on it always die.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
BLS before ALS

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Veneficus

Forum Chief

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Everyone wants to sue you.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Narcan is a benign drug.

CHF is caused by fluid overload.

NPAs are a poor adjunct compared to OPAs

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
Using the largest gauge possible when starting IVs on anybody "just in case"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oxygen is a benign drug that everyone should receive at 15 L/m via NRB mask.

Lights and sirens saves lives.

Seconds always count.

Everything works out if the patient arrives at the hospital "alive."

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The Golden Hour.

You can't diagnose a STEMI in a pt that has a LBBB or paced rhythm

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That diseases always present the textbook way and only one bothers a pt. at a time.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Transporting a suspected CVA to a stroke center is a no-no for BLS

Veneficus

Forum Chief

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I just have to ask...

Who told you that?

I've been told that all the time. BLS can only transport to the closest medical center, even if it's just a bandaid station. Baloney. If my patient has s/s of a stroke, I will go the extra 15 minutes to a stroke center. If a medic can meet up with me in that time fine, but if not I'm not diverting.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I've been told that all the time. BLS can only transport to the closest medical center, even if it's just a bandaid station. Baloney. If my patient has s/s of a stroke, I will go the extra 15 minutes to a stroke center. If a medic can meet up with me in that time fine, but if not I'm not diverting.

That is crazy, what the hell can a medic do for a stroke?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
That is crazy, what the hell can a medic do for a stroke?

Can you please come tell that to everyone here?! One of the dispatchers at an old job even tried to tell a medic that we couldn't transport to a stroke center, we had to go to the 'closest appropriate facility', which in her mind, was the hospital a block away. Nevermind the fact they have no neuro capabilities, and their CT scanner was down!

In this area, people seem to believe 'closest appropriate facility' means closest facility, even if the patient will have to be transferred out immediately for care somewhere else. I've gotten in trouble several times for transporting BLS to a trauma center, cardiac, or another specialized facility without waiting on medics, or diverting to the closest facility to my location.