Walmart Raises Minimum Wage to $10 - Why Not EMS?

Angel

Paramedic
*rolls eyes* even more reason for him not to comment, but I digress.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
?
He wasn't always that.
But I'll let him speak for himself.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
*rolls eyes* even more reason for him not to comment, but I digress.
Yea no. We actually value diverse opinions here.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It is not a personal valuation, it is a professional one. And no matter which way I express it you seem to miss the point and cannot examine this objectively. You asked how I felt and I replied as everyone's answer will always be the same. However, when you ask what we deserve...that is an entirely different story.

As for myself, I have a very interesting story and will one day put the book out. I have been a paramedic since 1993 and I still maintain the license. I still think and speak like a paramedic. However, I was never satisfied with where I was so I did something about it.

As a medic I thought my wages were too low, so I became a flight medic. As a flight medic I thought the wages were too low so I went to the arctic and worked austere/remote medicine. After a while there I thought my wages were too low so I went overseas. While overseas I thought my wages were too low so I simply started my own company. As a business owner I think my wages are too low so I started a second company. I am now in negotiations to purchase a 3rd company.

I have not forgotten where I came from. I always have been passionate about EMS but I am also a realist. Tens of thousands of medics sitting on their arses complaining about how unfair it is and how we deserve to be paid more is pointless. It achieves nothing. There is no value in how one feels...the value is in what can you give me that I cannot get from another 1000 people on any given day? It is when we lie to ourselves and over value ourselves...only we are too blind to see we are not as special as we think we are.

We do good work. We help people. But so do a ton of other professions in various ways. Our education for entry level is ridiculously low and easy. We actually have too many medics. Thin the ranks, make supply low but high quality...then see what the pay becomes from the demand. But to get there it is going to take a lot of measures most people are not willing to sign off on because for the majority it will mean not having a career from lack of qualification/ability. Additionally the IAFF will protest and lobby against any such measures as well.

In short (or very long so far), yes the wages being paid are absolutely fair for the work performed and education/skills required.

Angel

Paramedic
So are you in the US or not? If you aren't I actually don't care about your feelings on the matter as it in no way affects you.
What is not appropriate is for someone not even in the same COUNTRY saying what wage is and isn't appropriate for ME.

We can't relate and will never agree, you are more out of touch than I previously thought so far those reasons I can't be bothered to listen (read) whatever else you have to say on the issue.
But thanks anyway.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in the country as that is stated in my profile. Where I currently reside has no bearing on the conversation as the facts are still the facts.

Out of touch? Too funny...

What would qualify me to be "in touch"?

I own and operate three hospitals and a medevac service. I spent a solid 15 years on the ambulance or in the air before starting my company, taught 100s of CPR classes, lectured at two area colleges and trained 100s of fledgling paramedics in addition to precepting them when I was on duty. I have worked 3rd service, Private and Fire. I think I am fairly well rounded and more in touch to have this kind of discussion.

Please enlighten me...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently.

And PM for what...?

I just like how my current location dictates whether or not I can comment on wages. I have not figured that one out yet.

And I am so out of touch...with everything I have going on, I still take time to visit EMS sites and contribute when and where possible. Unreachable...that is me!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I make a living wage for a fair schedule at a workplace I enjoy. The last service I graced with my presence failed to provide what I wanted, so I left.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is not a personal valuation, it is a professional one. And no matter which way I express it you seem to miss the point and cannot examine this objectively. You asked how I felt and I replied as everyone's answer will always be the same. However, when you ask what we deserve...that is an entirely different story.

As for myself, I have a very interesting story and will one day put the book out. I have been a paramedic since 1993 and I still maintain the license. I still think and speak like a paramedic. However, I was never satisfied with where I was so I did something about it.

As a medic I thought my wages were too low, so I became a flight medic. As a flight medic I thought the wages were too low so I went to the arctic and worked austere/remote medicine. After a while there I thought my wages were too low so I went overseas. While overseas I thought my wages were too low so I simply started my own company. As a business owner I think my wages are too low so I started a second company. I am now in negotiations to purchase a 3rd company.

I have not forgotten where I came from. I always have been passionate about EMS but I am also a realist. Tens of thousands of medics sitting on their arses complaining about how unfair it is and how we deserve to be paid more is pointless. It achieves nothing. There is no value in how one feels...the value is in what can you give me that I cannot get from another 1000 people on any given day? It is when we lie to ourselves and over value ourselves...only we are too blind to see we are not as special as we think we are.

We do good work. We help people. But so do a ton of other professions in various ways. Our education for entry level is ridiculously low and easy. We actually have too many medics. Thin the ranks, make supply low but high quality...then see what the pay becomes from the demand. But to get there it is going to take a lot of measures most people are not willing to sign off on because for the majority it will mean not having a career from lack of qualification/ability. Additionally the IAFF will protest and lobby against any such measures as well.

In short (or very long so far), yes the wages being paid are absolutely fair for the work performed and education/skills required.
I appreciate the entire post, but the bolded part is key.

The side that thinks that EMS isn't making enough money does nothing to get them to that point, unless you consider whining to be action. Complaining about how other careers make more money with ostensibly less risk is not helping. It's just annoying. Talking about how it's not worth getting a degree when employers don't require it just makes the collective community sound like a bunch fools. How do you think nursing got to the point where they are today? Or a whole multitude of other professions for that matter...

Meanwhile, those that believe EMS makes an appropriate amount of money given the state of the industry can defend their argument with logic and reason. Coincidentally, these people are often EMS leaders. Coincidence? Recently my boss (who is an incredible leader) and I had a conversation where he flatly told me that my job is comparable to that of a UPS driver so long as my partner is a paramedic driver. In fact, a UPS driver may be better qualified to do my own job. This is why I make 11 dollars an hour. He is absolutely correct. I don't plan to be an EMT for much longer.

But more importantly, I don't plan to be a line paramedic forever either. So many people in EMS are just there. They are not motivated to move themselves forward professionally, and they complain that they aren't paid enough.

Angel

Paramedic
So you're at the new job now? I'm kinda curious where it is...if you found your unicorn (or close to it), that place must be impressive

ETA even ups driving make ~35 and hour so....?
And I suppose maybe you're talking about lazy EMTs, but that's not me, I earned every single of the 4 degrees soon to be 5 I have so I know my worth, I know my value and yes should be paid more. I don't know what self respecting ems professional thinks of the profession they chose with such negativity but for the sake of the rest of us, please leave, do something else. If this isn't it, that's fine, but if you aren't going to make it better personally or professionally then why are you wasting your time? Why are you dragging the rest of us down with you?

Makes no sense to me, but every profession has its low bunch.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Ya know... Between this thread and a few others, and with those unreasonably crabby and irrational posts... I'd almost think it someone's time of the month.

Just saying.

Never noticed such sensitivity before.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd just like to point out that the opinions expressed in this thread...ALL OF THEM...or highly indicative of how and why EMS is in the state that it's in today.

Anyone who wants to point a finger had better be ready to accurately and objectively defend their position...and the defense seems to be pretty onesided at this point...

Angel

Paramedic
Ya know... Between this thread and a few others, and with those unreasonably crabby and irrational posts... I'd almost think it someone's time of the month.

Just saying.

Never noticed such sensitivity before.

Why is that the "go to" for men when describing a female who isn't taking anyone's sh*t?
Yea I'm good, I just don't understand why so many people have their heads up their a**es and am calling them out for it.
When people do nothing but repeat the same song with different music it is annoying and that's usually when I stop because there's no possibility in having a meaningful conversation at that point. So sorry, not PMSing, just fed up with the ignorance.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
When people do nothing but repeat the same song with different music it is annoying and that's usually when I stop because there's no possibility in having a meaningful conversation at that point. So sorry, not PMSing, just fed up with the ignorance.
Yep...just remember, that cuts both ways.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you not see the hypocrisy in your posts versus what everyone else has said about this issue?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep, gonna have a beer when I get off.
Cheers
Was that your way of saying that you're just venting?

Cause that's fine...very therapeutic in fact; I'm a big fan, and in my oh so humble opinion, half the reason for places like this to exist...but I digress.

But venting or being serious, bear in mind that the things that have been said in opposition to your statements are, like it or not, VALID AND REAL. If you (general you) or anyone else doesn't like that, you need to come up with real and legitimate reasons why those things are not valid.

And plays on emotion or on "how things should be" do not cut it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
ETA even ups driving make ~35 and hour so....?
And I suppose maybe you're talking about lazy EMTs, but that's not me, I earned every single of the 4 degrees soon to be 5 I have so I know my worth, I know my value and yes should be paid more. I don't know what self respecting ems professional thinks of the profession they chose with such negativity but for the sake of the rest of us, please leave, do something else. If this isn't it, that's fine, but if you aren't going to make it better personally or professionally then why are you wasting your time? Why are you dragging the rest of us down with you?

Makes no sense to me, but every profession has its low bunch.

Not here they don't, the guy I relieved today headed out to work FedEx and he sure isn't making that much. He is also working much harder than I am today.

You have yet to say why you deserve to be paid more money. "I know my value." Based on what? That's not how the world works. I'm a better EMT than most. I can do other things to help the agency like write grants and things like that. I don't make anymore money for that because if I left, it would not be a huge detriment to my employer.

Saying "I have degrees" is not a reason to be paid more. I don't know what your degrees are, but just possessing them does not entitle you to anything. I have a BA from a top 50 liberal arts college that I paid out the *** to get. That does not mean I deserve anymore money than an EMT that provides the same level of service and usefulness to the service that I do.

I'm not going anywhere. My end goal is to be a successful EMS leader. I don't want to have to push to make changes to improve a service, I want to implement them. You can do that when you're the boss. I am committed to making EMS a profession and diversifying its services. I am not being negative, and I cannot stand when someone makes that comment as if it somehow strengthens their argument. You don't change things by being a cheerleader, and you don't change things by complaining.