Vacation Destinations

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Ok so I was going thru my vacation pix and posted some up and I got to thinking I wonder where everyone likes to go.

So everyone post your favorite places to go and even a favorite pix if you want.

Mine are Chattanooga/Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg TN. area.
Niagra Falls and the diving in Cozumel (I was not enthralled by the land although it was pretty but the diving is awesome!!!)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been to a lot of places but Germany, especially the area around Bad Reichenhall in the Bavarian Alps, will always be my favorite. Hands down.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I really like Washington DC. Great place.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My sister lives in Eastern Europe, and I've been lucky enough to visit several times. I really love Bulgaria and Romania. Just an amazing place to visit. It's pretty inexpensive, too.

Here in the states, my wife and I like to ski at Lake Tahoe and we have family in the Midwest, so we get to St Louis a couple of times a year.

heavenly.jpg

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I love going to the Sierras in California! Yosemite is one of them, it is a wonderful place although Yosemite is a bit "touristy" now.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
We like to go just about anywhere, but here are some favorites:

Chattanooga, TN

Townsend, TN (near Gatlinburg, but far enough away from the tourist trap stuff)

Virginia Beach, VA (ok, pretty much any beach as long as it's not horribly crowded)

Branson, MO (we have family there and they live within walking distance of the lake)

Salmon, ID (I'd give my right eye to live there again)

Hohenwald, TN (camping, canoeing, fishing........)

I pretty much like to go anywhere I can hang out with my wife, see some beautiful scenery, hike around, and relax.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Austin, TX specifically 6th Street but all of it in general. My ex went to school there and I was up there every other weekend. We are headed out to Gruene, TX in a few weeks for a weekend with a bunch of friends so Im sure this will be my new favorite place.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
While I agree with USAFMedic that Germany is an awesome destination, if you're talking the States we loved the mountains of northern New Mexico. Specifically the Santa Fe National Forest just south of Taos. Tons of stuff to do amid nature's majesty.

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
My wife and I love going to Atlantic City or Vegas.
She loves the Slot Machines and I love the high-end dinners that she gets comped. :blush:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Majorca, Spain, Tennerife, Canary Is, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, especially Pacific coast, Lisbon, Portugal.....

Summit

Critical Crazy
I live in the best vacation destination.

Otherwise:
Galapagos, Ecuador
Roatan, Honduras
Italy
Greece
Bay Area, California

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I just like to go: somewhere; anywhere, pick a direction and drive.

when we lived in Indiana, we drove 400 miles over a 3 day weekend, north of I 70, without getting on a freeway.
another time we drove 700+ miles: south, into kentucky, tennessee, west virginia, penn, and ohio.

have driven to branson MO.

now that we are back in Utah, we have driven alot both on road and off. mountains, towns, sometimes with a destination, sometimes just wandering.
going to a trauma conference next month in Tucson Az; on the way back going to the Grand Canyon, and the four corners area.

anywhere you live you can sight see, for an hour, 1/2 day, etc. just DO IT

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our nicest vacation stay was just east of Mendocino, CA

http://www.findrentals.com/28318.html
(Hmm image at
http://www.findrentals.com/php/additional.php?pict=0&id=28318
won't insert and display. Oh well)
Not cheap but if you cook your own meals do your own laundry and spend some time just unwinding in the redwood-constructed bathroom with huge picture window which the deer wander by in the early AM's looking out into the sequoias...but, that was nine years abo, might be a strip mall by now.
I think it's for sale.
No vacation this year, I've used up the County's good will in FMLA and bereavement time off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
In the US, I'm a big fan of Santa Fe, Chicago, and NYC. But my favorite is Lake Tahoe. I sometimes think about taking off a winter and seeing if I could get a ski instructor or ski patrol job. Maybe I'll do it someday...

Of places I've been abroad, I'd have to say my favorite so far is Lisbon. But I haven't really been to enough places to judge.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah....as opposed to Wellington which is a hell of a place to fly into:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpurK0gwC08[/YOUTUBE]

Not all of the landings are at Wellington, but it's obvious it's a challenging place.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I like going to play at OK D-Day (4k player paintball game). Once I get another sportbike, I still want to go to some of the more famous tracks to do trackdays at.

I also want to go back to NZ and Australia

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
NYC for culture and nightlife. Outer Banks NC for east coast surfing, or Montauk/Ditch Plains/Moses/Jones Beach West End 2/Long Beach for NY surfing. Vegas - nuff said. AC is ghetto in comparison. Frisco reminded me of a smaller, cleaner Manhattan is some ways. the bums were very entertaining and certainly earned the handouts I gave them. My friend on SDFD wants me to come surf Blacks. I'll do it some day. Northern Va doesn't have jack. Just developments, strip malls, and traffic. I've had several invites for Costa Rica for surfing. An ex girlfriend wanted me to go to Colombia, but I was fearful of being kidnapped for ransom. I've had invites for Rio in Brazil. With my luck, I'll wake up in an ice filled bathtub with a missing kidney. Or I'll roll jiu-jitsu on the beach and get tuned up by some local with ridiculous skills.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I am thinking about planning a trip to Israel to surprise my fiancee with. I think she would enjoy the religious history and I want to visit the Carmel wineries. :lol:

Or I'll roll jiu-jitsu on the beach and get tuned up by some local with ridiculous skills.

I was at a martial arts show/conference (whatever you want to call it) with a friend who is an MMA afficianado and watched this pretty big guy (6'2 or so, well over 250 lbs) make a snide comment to this smaller but still stocky fellow. The comment was something to the effect of "I could with the *expletive deleted* floor with your scrawny *expletive deleted* ***". My friend (who apparently knew them both at least in passing) stepped in and says to the smartmouthed fellow "Uh, 'Bob'....you probably don't want to try to prove that. I'd like you to meet my friend, Royler. As in Gracie." I've never seen anyone back up faster in my life. :lol:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I am thinking about planning a trip to Israel to surprise my fiancee with. I think she would enjoy the religious history and I want to visit the Carmel wineries. :lol:

I was at a martial arts show/conference (whatever you want to call it) with a friend who is an MMA afficianado and watched this pretty big guy (6'2 or so, well over 250 lbs) make a snide comment to this smaller but still stocky fellow. The comment was something to the effect of "I could with the *expletive deleted* floor with your scrawny *expletive deleted* ***". My friend (who apparently knew them both at least in passing) stepped in and says to the smartmouthed fellow "Uh, 'Bob'....you probably don't want to try to prove that. I'd like you to meet my friend, Royler. As in Gracie." I've never seen anyone back up faster in my life. :lol:

Exactly what I mean. I trained back in NY with schools run by Renzo Gracie, Matt Serra, and Marcello Mello. I've had my arse handed to me plenty of times by someone 40-50 lbs lighter. Marcello would tap me with one hand tucked into his gi. I was instructed to always begin sparring on my back to learn to fight from there, and to not be able to use my size and power as much. Opponents with good speed always gave me the most trouble. Size and power, not so much.