This has probably be done before...

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
so don't hang me Kev.....

Did you start out on a 911 ambulance or a transport ambulance... or something else, I guess.

I was very lucky to find a 911 job fresh out of school. We do our fair share of BLS, interfacility tranfers, but we are mainly a 911 provider.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
I started out with my volley squad. I work for a company that I started out doing BLS tranfsfers and I am currently working an ALS rig for the company.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I started out on a BLS transport ambulance that would post in a 911 coverage area that acted as an extra set of hands/quick response on 911 calls. It was a great mix between action and down time.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Hal9000

Forum Captain
911 and interfacility

Being new here, it's nice to see relaxed, friendly threads, and this is one of them. Glad I don't have to drag up an old thread.

I started out doing 911 and interfacility transports. It's a rewarding job and one I'd like to always learn about and from.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Started out atypically.
Began riding along and getting a sense of the business riding along with a rural fire department, then off to Israel to volunteer (work) for the national ambulance service (an arm of the International Red Cross) on high call volume 911 BLS and ALS, then back home (to the Boston Area) to do mostly BLS transport (dialysis and discharge) for a private. Now part time at the private and volunteering for the campus EMS at my university.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
911 Hospital based service. We had work in the ER between calls for at 16/24 hour shift.

R/r 911

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
911 Hospital based service. We had work in the ER between calls for at 16/24 hour shift.

R/r 911

ditto... and the RNs in the ED would get royally pissed if we didn't immediately start doing what needed doing in the ED after we cleared a run. They didn't care if we were 3 reports behind. I hated it....

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I did a few weeks of interfacility before getting on a 911 shift. The interfacility was a temporary shift only, while I waited through a couple rounds of mini bids.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I started out with and still with the town's ambulance service. By the way here in the Northwest Territories we do not have 911 service. But in the Yukon territory they do have 911 service funny since the NWT both have the same phone company.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
I started out at a 911 service and am still here we do some interfacility transfers to specailists hospitals that are 30min to 4 hrs away.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Started out with a company that does interfacility in an area where the nursing homes don't understand the concept of "non-emergent."

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Started out with a Volunteer Fire Department; that had EMS only . they then went combination, with FT and PT people; and about that time started at a Private Service;
stayed with them for 8 years, and the fire dept for 10 years;

then moved to Utah, now a civilian medic for the Dept of Army on an army base

Jaybro713

Forum Probie
I just started in may and I work for a local on-call department doing 911 only. I enjoy it very much and will eventually move on to other full time jobs once i'm out of school.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Started in a Paid/Call fire department for 3 years prior to the military, then 14 years in Air Force Fire Protection. While in the USAF, I was a member of several volunteer rescue squads and fire departments in my off duty time. Spent my last few years doing other stuff for the Air Force, but still kept my position as a volunteer firefighter. Went right back into ARFF after I retired, then began doing part time work with a critical care transport/convalescent service. I picked up my Intermediate last year, said goodbye to the convalescent service and now work part time with a local county EMS service when I'm not at the firehouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I'm 17. Got my certification ( EMT-B ) at 16, and I've been a medic on a search and rescue team since 14.

Buzz

Forum Captain
Private service... We have a 911 coverage contract with one city around here, axillary support for a few local FDs, and have the transport (emergent and non-emergent) contracts for many of the nursing homes around here as well.

Good mix of everything. I wish we got to do residence calls more often though.