things you will never live down

Angel21228

Forum Probie
Falling on A**

I was walking quickly to the Ambulance to get inside with my ALS who had a 5yo that was Unconscious! I went to walk around the side of the Ambulance and hit ice, and fell to my A**!! I didn't think anyone saw it, but my driver did. Lets just say I haven't lived it down yet!!! :rolleyes:

feldy

Forum Captain
unloaded the pt on the stretcher from the back of the unit...the catch bar was apparently stuck and didnt catch the hook...stretcher dropped right on to the back bumper (i luckily forgot to put the bumper up).

luckily for me...only my partner saw and the pt was so intoxicated that he started laughing hysterically for a good 5 mins. At least he was already on a backboard.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
(My partner did this not me) So were on a private shift and had switched our radio over to the fire side to eaves drop on what calls our friends were getting. So we go in, get our patient and load em up. After I back my partner up, I hop in the back - lean through the little cab window and tell my partner who just grabbed the mic to put us transporting "Careful! You're on fire (radio channel)." She freaked the **** out!!! She actually thought she was on fire (the stuff those guys in yellow turnouts play with). After calming down and laughing so hard she cried - she told me what the hell had just happened.

mct601

RN/NRP
Paramedic student... first assignment... of first ER rotation... and first med admin

Despite being a seasoned basic.

Needle into needleless port.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I was a emt student.. Call came in as a anal bleed (as usual right at dinner time) We made contact blah blah blah.. Guy hadn't taken a poop in 3-5 days and stuck his finger up there to try to loosen one out.. Gross yeah blah blah.... So we ask if he was still bleeding and he said it stooped before we go there it. So we load him on the stretcher and get him to the rig. As a great emt student I go and start getting v/s for the crew. I take the pulse ox and put on his finger and the whole screw starts laughing and they take it off and use a disposable one. It then hits me why they were laughing... Lets just say I rode with the crew during medic school and I still got made fun of for it.

EMTswag

Forum Crew Member
took a job 15-20 minutes away for a neuro transfer with the lights all in secondary... i was a rather confused driver the whole way there

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
unloaded the pt on the stretcher from the back of the unit...the catch bar was apparently stuck and didnt catch the hook...stretcher dropped right on to the back bumper (i luckily forgot to put the bumper up).

luckily for me...only my partner saw and the pt was so intoxicated that he started laughing hysterically for a good 5 mins. At least he was already on a backboard.

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP....I've done that as well, luckily my patient wasn't ETOH but still found it amusing :blush:

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
I did the whole "ER" style straddle-the-patient-on-the-cot ride in on a cardiac arrest once.

I'm short. I couldn't deliver good compressions from the side.

Oh well. I still get crap for that one.

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member
My first full blown structure fire was a doozy. We had a ladder going up to a hole near the peak of the roof on the side of the house. Chief wanted a fog nozzle on there to vent the smoke. One of the guys from some BFE department handed me the 2 1/2 and told me the combo was on fog. My rookie *** didn't bother to check. I climbed up there, opened up the nozzle, and ended up riding the hose down to the ground. I fell about ten feet, and landed on an AC unit. I couldn't see since water shot my mask up over my eyes, and next thing I know there's an entire crew around me with freaked out looks asking me if I was ok. I told them I was fine...just embarrassed. Let me tell you, that fire gear has a lot of good padding...and the helmet works! :D

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Ran a call with a 21 y/o female high on drugs. We transported her to the ER. Enroute, I called the hospital on HEAR. Since I didn't feel like holding down the PTT button, I simply flipped it over to VOX.

Unit 55 is enroute to your facility with a 21 y/o female who, yes, you are pretty, who has taken, no, I don't want to see your t*ts, who took, I told you I don't want to see your t*ts. Would you please put your shirt back on, oh sh*t!

The last two words were when I realized I was on VOX and I reached over and switched it back over to normal mode. The ER never replied, I didn't bother to get back on the air, and when we arrived, the entire ER staff was at the door waiting!

If that wasn't so bad, other crews in the county heard it as well and I'm quite sure there were other ERs who monitored HEAR heard it as well.

I never used VOX after that, no matter how lazy I was.

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
Hey, at least they heard you turning her down. Could've been worse. A medic in my region once looked at a patient's boyfriend and told him "Man, your girl has a nice rack."

Didn't go so well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We had a pt from the ski hill all bundled up an backboarded and my partner wanted a 12-lead. So I made the offhand comment that it was like unwrapping a christmas present, just layer after layer. It took me a second to realize but she was a great sport about it and I was new. "Boy, as cute as you are I don't think you'll find the presents you're unwrapping all that interesting...they're tiny!"

needless to say I hear present jokes all the time. I'll never make that mistake again though, that could have gone very wrong.

SSwain

Forum Captain
As a ride along...
My second contact BP cuff backwards. My preceptor just smiled and said "Try that one inside out..."

My 3rd contact was something that I thought nobody saw. Pt was found unconscious behind the wheel of his car. PD was on scene first, we pull up and my driver and medic get out. I was riding in the back, so I egress thru the rear doors. In the process, I tripped on the little gurney hook in the middle of the floor.
Lucky for me, I had a good grip on the handle of rear door...
To me it felt like a scene from a movie where the hero is haging on and swinging wildly behind a moving truck.
In reality, I was less than graceful on my exit. At least I didn't fall head first onto the street, thanks to the grip I had.

When I said I didn't think anybody saw it, I didn't realize that my preceptor had opened the side hatch to get the bag and Lifepak...and had a view thru the interior of the rig.

I am sure there will be more in the future.

Heylove

Forum Probie
I'll bump ya one on the ripped pants category. I responded to a call, where as with yours, it was a very heavy person FDGB. As I squatted to help my two female partners lift this patient, my pants split...more like exploded. It was almost like the inseam through the crotch was velcro all the way down to the knees on both sides and up the zipper seam in the front and the ...midline... seam in the back. The only thing holding the lower pants up was the outside seam.

Embarrasing...right? Well.....to add to the humiliation....I am a Marvel Comic nerd......and....(are you ready?)......I was wearing my brand new Spiderman boxers.....and it was extremely apparent, from any angle. So.....now..my team at random times will just call out and say, "Hey Spidey, how's it going?".

OMG, you guys are hilarious! As a brand-spankin' new EMT student, now I know to *always* wear pretty (and comic-free) undies while working!

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
Switching up the arm leads in a 12 lead......lets just say you get fun rhythms

If that's the most embarrassing thing you've done, I'd say you're in pretty good shape! Personally, I've done that a handful of times :blush:...

Luckily, my monitor is pretty good about letting me know! And if for some reason it doesn't, global electronegativity in lead I is a pretty good indicator as well!

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
If that's the most embarrassing thing you've done, I'd say you're in pretty good shape! Personally, I've done that a handful of times :blush:...

Luckily, my monitor is pretty good about letting me know! And if for some reason it doesn't, global electronegativity in lead I is a pretty good indicator as well!

Well I was with a new medic and I was still an EMT...Lets just say we transported a patient with a STEMI to a Balloon station emergency traffic....called in the STEMI alert and everything. The doctor noticed our mistake.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
Well I was with a new medic and I was still an EMT...Lets just say we transported a patient with a STEMI to a Balloon station emergency traffic....called in the STEMI alert and everything. The doctor noticed our mistake.

oh boy! that's a little more embarrassing!

doesn't sound like it was your fault... simple mistake on your part! live and learn.

MedicPam

Forum Probie
OMG, you guys are hilarious! As a brand-spankin' new EMT student, now I know to *always* wear pretty (and comic-free) undies while working!

That was great...but I think I will try to remember to specifically wear funny undies from now on...we're going shopping!

So anyone who knows me is very well aware that I am the farthest thing from graceful... many years ago while in EMT-B training, during skills day I was tasked with completing full spinal precautions on another student. I did so, and very nicely, I might add...so nicely that when I stood up and STEPPED ACROSS him, I caught the heel of my boot on the strap across his hips, and ended up transferring all my weight right onto his groin! Having done such a great job, my poor friend couldn't roll over into the fetal position and cry it off :blink: He will never forgive me...this story always seems to come out when he wants to me why he doesn't have kids - I think 15 years is time to give it a rest though. Hehe. I AM STILL SORRY, RYAN!

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Partner was unloading the pt. from the back of the rig when the excess NC 02 tubing got caught around the gurney catch. I thought we were going to pull the pt's face off. Luckily it was quickly caught, but I felt so bad. Was really embarrassing since the pt's family was riding with us! :wacko: