The Winter 18/19 Unicorn Hunt!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
As we arc into the season of pumpkin spice lattes, extravagant materialism and celebrations of hard work, I find myself at something of a personal and professional crossroads. I've got a considerable bit of fancy book learning and the mechanism and desire to use it, and both my wife and I have decent jobs here in Houston, but we're also tired of being hundreds of miles away from family and we're tired of swamp (although it's not as terrible as it sounds). Our lease is up in January, school commitments are nearly over, and I've got a powerful wandering streak that hungers for cold air, forested rocky mountains, and the opportunity to do more than ride the truck while still riding the truck.

Professionally, I'm pretty close to the apex of a realistic suburban/urban 911 agency's field path pre-supervisor, I've got a great schedule, and I enjoy what I do, but I know I need to use my book learning to keep it from stagnating. To this end, I've got to do something extra- be it teaching, moonlighting in some capacity, or shaking it for dollar bills and cheeseburgers at a truck stop. However, I've also got a talent and liking for IFT work (especially the CCT aspect) and I'm pretty good as an FTO/instructor/whatnot, which are roles effectively closed off to me at present due to my shift assignment and disdain for stand-up 24 hour shifts.

So, with that in mind, I'm officially starting the Fall/Winter 2018/19 Unicorn Hunt Job and Movement Search!

Pay is somewhat important, in that it has to pay the bills and costs of living, but the actual wage/hours are definitely open to local factors and such. In general terms, I reckon it's got to be at least $50k a year without literally living at work.

Medicine and protocols are important, but not dealbreakers. I'm looking for at least a level of autonomy that lets me do the right thing for patients that need it. Functionally, I reckon the floor here is something like Central CA (Kern or Fresno?), with things like RSI or whatnot being helpful. Not LA County, for many reasons. Equipment isn't terribly important, although I prefer Stryker over Ferno and would like a place amicable to 21st century tools like VL, powerload, etc.

I am not particularly into flight.

Don't mind working with fire at all, but would need to be at least a professional equal to them, and would strongly prefer roles where we are the lead medical. Preference to 911-performing places, but open to IFT operations if the conditions are right.

Job really needs to have the opportunity for meaningful learning, advancement and change. Ideally, looking for an FTO or supervisory role immediately, or in the short term, and looking for the ability to help make a positive impact on the organization. It is actually OK if that organization is currently distressed or in need or whatnot; I'm actually looking for a role where I can really help beyond the truck. I'm....not super-interested in jobs that take years to 'prove yourself' or that require aimless progressions like 'station captain' or 'honor guard' or whatnot, I'm looking more for roles where I can help to make things better. The size of the organization isn't of massive importance; I can work with pretty much anything. Also, not a firefighter, so if you know of a place that requires you to be an actual real-life firefighter to be a paramedic, probably not super-high on my list.

Area is of moderate importance; I am not opposed to going rural or frontier, but for family reasons, I prefer the Western USA or Union country. Very, very little interest in the Deep South. Texas gets some preference, as does Colorado. Needs to have some sort of professional opportunity for my wife too; she is an experienced medical-office administrator currently in quality control, a phlebotomist, and an EMT. Placed you can wear jeans, cowboy boots and drive a Focus are of preference.

Certifications/Training/Education:
NR-Paramedic x 9 years (911/IFT/68W), mostly 911, reckon I can do alright with pretty much anything. Some supervisory and FTO experience.
Active TX paramedic, inactive CO/OK/NM (can reactivate at any time)
Mongo is of above-average strength and intelligence and can lift things up AND put them down.
UMBC CCEMTP
Usual card courses, not an instructor anymore, but can get.
TX EMS instructor
AAS-Paramedic, bachelor's degrees in education and healthcare management, about to have a master's in healthcare administration.

So, let the hunt begin! If you've got any advice, leads, tips, or a desire to see where this misplaced CalTexOkian is looking, please join in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

First on the radar is Clear Creek County, Colorado:

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=1a810ad228537c21

This is interesting for a few reasons. It looks like you're more than just a field medic- it looks like you're expected to perform as an FTO, in assistant-administrative roles, and as a field medic. This is very interesting to me, but I'd like to know more.

The Wiki makes it sound like a fairly isolated mountain area you go through to get to Denver- what's out there?

@Tigger and other Coloradoans, what's this place like?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I would say Gunnison Colorado. I wish I could go back. But starting pay is only 40k base. But they do CCT ift. Wilderness 911. And they are affiliated with the hospital so you help out with the sick patients in the hospital as well.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I would say Gunnison Colorado. I wish I could go back. But starting pay is only 40k base. But they do CCT ift. Wilderness 911. And they are affiliated with the hospital so you help out with the sick patients in the hospital as well.

This does interest me, especially if they can be convinced to pay more.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I loved it there . Wish I never had to leave. They have two postings for a medic.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
SUPERVISING EMS OFFICER - CAPTAIN (FIELD SUPERVISOR & NREMT PARAMEDIC in Vermont

As you know, most large EMS organizations want you to be a staffer before you become a boss. the exception is many will hire a director or agency head from the outside.

Some smaller organizations will hire the right supervisor from the outside (and my former coworker was hired as a managing EMS officer at the Vermont agency).

Larger organizations (in theory) have more opportunities, provided you are willing to put the time in; smaller organizations will hire you into those positions, provided you have the experience doing the job or are exactly the candidate they are looking for.

good luck. I have done the search before, and found myself disappointed in the choices I made (for various reasons). There aren't many unicorn EMS agencies, as they all have drawbacks, and requires some sacrifices.

Last edited:

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
We will be hiring 2-4 a year for the next few years I'm sure. Yes you go to school again but you are well paid to go to school, bennies and retirement in the IAFF without actually being a FF. There is also the opportunity for all kinds of teaching here, Paramedic Training, King County EMS and several EMT programs in the area.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you want the ability to RSI but are not interested in flight then you should avoid CA. RSI is not in the state scope for paramedics and the only prehospital service that can do RSI are HEMS.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

We will be hiring 2-4 a year for the next few years I'm sure. Yes you go to school again but you are well paid to go to school, bennies and retirement in the IAFF without actually being a FF. There is also the opportunity for all kinds of teaching here, Paramedic Training, King County EMS and several EMT programs in the area.

No-go for King County Medic One, I just have no interest in going into a pure field-medic role and I can teach here in Texas just as easily. Heck, I'm an in-charge at a place that's more advanced than M1....it would literally be a downgrade.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If you want the ability to RSI but are not interested in flight then you should avoid CA. RSI is not in the state scope for paramedics and the only prehospital service that can do RSI are HEMS.
Our ground unit does the occasional RSI. I hardly doubt his unicorn would be found at our agency though. GL @RocketMedic.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=4b018a723a36c1b1

This is interesting. I'm in no way qualified...but this could be something. If only I had the required experience!

Hall and its breathren are interesting in that they might be willing to give a man a chance, so I'm not discounting anything. With that being said, I've also got preferences. I could certainly see myself as an educator @ Hall or something like it.

Last edited:

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Van Horn is a little berg. Lots of traffic passes by, but that's about it. The Pilot truck stop and McDonald's are probably the busiest spots in town. That being said, you might make some inquires, because I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be tons of applicants. The Rio Grade Valley might have some opportunities also. McAllen and Edinburg have lots of hospitals and South Texas Community College has some med classes. UT Pan American, in Edinburg is supposed to get, or has an actual Med school. Good luck whichever way you go.

Lo2w

Forum Captain

Made it out that way on vacation last week. Loved the area.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Bennington is on my short list of places id want to move to if i really had my druthers. Ive been looking into moving up that way, Vermont, Maine area. I have a house in upstate NY but medic jobs in that area are sparse, still pretty volunteer. I need to be near some body of water if i cant be near the Atlantic

I really want a place that i can still use my rescue skills too

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

A friend asked me why I'm still wanting to be on the truck as opposed to pure hospital admin, but honestly, after doing this full-time since 2012, I really only feel like I just recently got good at it. I don't want to let that go yet.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a Lt. spot open. Our protocols aren't amazing, but this isn't a mother may I system and I do have wiggle room if it is the patients best interest. Fire is separate. Variable quality on medical stuff, some medics hidden in their midst, but overall good hands to have around and definitely good at what they do with FD things. Pay should definitely be what you want based on your experience, 4 on/off schedule. That being said, pay here is not as good as other placea on average unless you put in a lot of time. Our supervisors don't really do much with clinical stuff and I'd argue that I might have more up to date knowledge than some. I'm sure that could be changed, but as the normal day to day....No RSI or even sedative facilitated intubation, it is pretty much cardiac arrest only. We do have VL on sup trucks. Ferno power load stretchers being phased in which I love.

Plenty of things I don't like that burns people out, but I've also struck a balance here where I haven't gotten to that point.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

We have a Lt. spot open. Our protocols aren't amazing, but this isn't a mother may I system and I do have wiggle room if it is the patients best interest. Fire is separate. Variable quality on medical stuff, some medics hidden in their midst, but overall good hands to have around and definitely good at what they do with FD things. Pay should definitely be what you want based on your experience, 4 on/off schedule. That being said, pay here is not as good as other placea on average unless you put in a lot of time. Our supervisors don't really do much with clinical stuff and I'd argue that I might have more up to date knowledge than some. I'm sure that could be changed, but as the normal day to day....No RSI or even sedative facilitated intubation, it is pretty much cardiac arrest only. We do have VL on sup trucks. Ferno power load stretchers being phased in which I love.

Plenty of things I don't like that burns people out, but I've also struck a balance here where I haven't gotten to that point.
Where is this?