The Winter 18/19 Unicorn Hunt!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Looks like you have a director spot open too: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr...97&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001

My county is a pretty progressive one, but we don't do RSI either.... there seems to be differing opinions as to whether it's good or bad for the patient, and some of the reports and studies I have read question it's use in EMS.
We have a lot open lately, there have been quite a few supervisor/managerial spots that opened up the past few months along with a **** ton of our regular road crew turnover.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
We have a lot open lately, there have been quite a few supervisor/managerial spots that opened up the past few months along with a **** ton of our regular road crew turnover.
Interesting. Sea change in the organization?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting. Sea change in the organization?
I see change in faces mostly. I see new management changes in ops that so far aren't thrilling as far as my initial impression goes. I don't see changes that are particularly interesting or exciting other than a bunch of new equipment, some of which was likely just because of a legal requirement (power stretchers). To be fair, a lot of stuff in that area has been good changes such as computers (love), radios (didn't care about that), CAD system, supply boxes at some hospitals, and we roll out a new and hopefully significantly better (to be determined) PCR system in a few days. That doesnt really do much for morale or retention long term though. If there are other changes going on I'm too far down the totem pole to be in the loop.

I'm honestly not convinced I see changes that would make me want to make this place a career and I genuinely like working here as a whole. I thought about applying for the Lt. simply for interview practice before my exit plan, but I don't truly want it. I don't think I'd be a good Lt. here. I get along with pretty much everyone great, but I'm not a poster boy for the company way, I'm pretty damn critical about what we do (or don't do). I don't think that would go over well for long.

It's fun as **** working here. I love my coworkers and I have learned a lot here. It's just not my idea of a career. It has potential to be an awesome place to stay. If a lot changed, I would absolutely consider it long term. But in it's current way, no. And turnover reflects that. Y'all have a general sense of how long I've been here. The most current round of new hires are have an employee number higher than mine by hundreds.

But that doesn't mean it isn't changing or won't change in better ways, it is. It's just not my image of a place I would settle in for the long haul at right now.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Ada County Paramedics may have what your looking for and they also have a diverse array of specialty teams.
Aero Methow Valley Rescue Service in Eastern WA in the Twisp area has good specialty teams and a advanced scope or practice because of the rural environment.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Ada county won't pay you want you want. And you have to start at the bottom to go up. And they are set in their ways till a new director comes in.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ada County Paramedics may have what your looking for and they also have a diverse array of specialty teams.
Aero Methow Valley Rescue Service in Eastern WA in the Twisp area has good specialty teams and a advanced scope or practice because of the rural environment.

What do they run in Twisp, 500 calls a year? Beautiful place but I’d be bored out of my mind.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
700 plus for the whole service. 3 hour transport on avg which is from dispatch to dropping a patient at the hospital and back but sometimes longer than 3 hours. Lots of specialty teams and active involvement with SAR, Swat team for the county, and community paramedicine. Their are ways to stay busy I am sure. I looked into it a while back. I heard good things from staff there and friends who knew staff there.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
@RocketMedic

[Poke]
FB_IMG_1538446234578.jpeg

Summit

Critical Crazy
Clear Creek is certainly not remote! It's just one county west of Denver and I70 runs through it (generating a lot of the call volume) and it has 4 14k peaks. There's rivers, mountains, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, breweries, and more. Most of the economy is related to tourism/travel or the molybdenum mine.

You could live in Golden or Lakewood (West Denver) if you want the city (tons of medical offices for your wife).
You could live in Georgetown if you want a mountain town with a lake just 15 minutes from skiing.
You could live in Evergreen if you want more of the mountain suburbs feel while being only 45 minutes from downtown Denver.
You could live in Idaho Springs for a central location and lower cost of living.

Now that said, all your transports are going to be 30+ minutes as the most acute medical facility in the county is an urgent care or a first aid room at a ski area. There is a Level 1 about 30-60 minutes from most places in Clear Creek. On occasion of traffic disasters jams, there's a Level 3 30-60 minutes the other way.

Beware driving East on weekend afternoons/evenings or West on Fri nights or weekend mornings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

This is very interesting. And those mountains are beautiful. I miss terrain.

Summit

Critical Crazy
This is very interesting. And those mountains are beautiful. I miss terrain.
Do you know how to ski decently? You could side gig as an ALS ski patroller which usually results in free season passes for you and your family and some extra cash. SAR usually is looking for volunteers too. I don't know if CCEMS has a paid SAR paramedic program with Alpine Rescue, but some neighboring agencies do that.

Tigger you coming to EMSAC?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do you know how to ski decently? You could side gig as an ALS ski patroller which usually results in free season passes for you and your family and some extra cash. SAR usually is looking for volunteers too. I don't know if CCEMS has a paid SAR paramedic program with Alpine Rescue, but some neighboring agencies do that.

Tigger you coming to EMSAC?
I am indeed!

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I ski like an albino chihuahua hunts. Poorly and without talent. I can toboggan well though.