The Who's Working Out Thread

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wanted to start a thread for a daily, "I worked out," spot to keep motivated, etc.

Today was a small workout with just a small walk and jog (just under a mile) around the neighborhood to warm everything up so I could do some decent stretching because my legs and knees have been a little a bit off after my previous workouts and I've not been sleeping well because of the amount of cardio I've been doing in the evening.

My typical workout has been 25 minutes on the bike and another 25 on the stairmaster/escalator looking thing. Get the heart rate up to between 130 and 145 on the bike, then work it up to 160+ and hold it there for at least 10 minutes on the stair master.

Being 290 is rough, but I've managed to work up to the above from only being able to manage 15 minutes at a lower intensity level.

( I will not be like my patients. I will not be like my patients)

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Good work. Keep it up.

It's hard to stay motivated. I hate hate hate cardio. I do enjoy weight lifting, though. Great stress relief for me.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
This morning's workout:

50 reps each: 185# deadlift, burpees, 95# hang power clean, 24" box jumps, 95# sumo deadlift high pulls, 53# kettlebell swings, 95# push presses, 20# wallball - time was 24:24

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Just wanted to start a thread for a daily, "I worked out," spot to keep motivated, etc.

Today was a small workout with just a small walk and jog (just under a mile) around the neighborhood to warm everything up so I could do some decent stretching because my legs and knees have been a little a bit off after my previous workouts and I've not been sleeping well because of the amount of cardio I've been doing in the evening.

My typical workout has been 25 minutes on the bike and another 25 on the stairmaster/escalator looking thing. Get the heart rate up to between 130 and 145 on the bike, then work it up to 160+ and hold it there for at least 10 minutes on the stair master.

Being 290 is rough, but I've managed to work up to the above from only being able to manage 15 minutes at a lower intensity level.

( I will not be like my patients. I will not be like my patients)

The rower (concept 2 is the most popular) is perfect for poeple well north of 200#. You'll get more of a whole body involvement, with very little joint stress.

You would also do well with barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell complexes.

Keep up the good work! Seeing all of these sick patients scares me half to death ( pardon the pun), seeing their poor quality of life and such. I'm going out like that.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Bro tip! (Taken from youtube's Dom Mazzetti/BroScience)

To sneak in extra work throughout the week, before every shower, do rounds of 10 pushups, 15 squats, as fast as you can. Start with three rounds, and work up to 6-8 rounds, or ten rounds if you couldn't get in a workout that day.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I swam for 20 minutes yesterday. Today after work I am going to take the dog for a walk for 4 miles.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
This morning's workout:

50 reps each: 185# deadlift, burpees, 95# hang power clean, 24" box jumps, 95# sumo deadlift high pulls, 53# kettlebell swings, 95# push presses, 20# wallball - time was 24:24

I like your workout a lot - very practical! Any reason you keep same weight for 50 reps instead of increasing? I thought you build more strength by lifting heavier.

I swam for 20 minutes yesterday. Today after work I am going to take the dog for a walk for 4 miles.

Swimming is the best! I try to swim 1000 meters three times a week. It gets you a full body workout AND some cardio (not as good for cardio as running, but a lot less miserable imo).

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I like your workout a lot - very practical! Any reason you keep same weight for 50 reps instead of increasing? I thought you build more strength by lifting heavier.

This is specifically for conditioning. I keep the reps and weights constant, but try to beat my best time. I do olympic weightliftng and some gymnstics specifically for strength and power ct

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
The rower (concept 2 is the most popular) is perfect for poeple well north of 200#. You'll get more of a whole body involvement, with very little joint stress.

You would also do well with barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell complexes.

Keep up the good work! Seeing all of these sick patients scares me half to death ( pardon the pun), seeing their poor quality of life and such. I'm going out like that.

thanks. I've been looking at the rower and I will eventually use it, but I've been taking things slow and one thing at a time for safety.

I decide to start with cardio because I had a "moment of clarity" on just how lacking my cardiovascular capacity was, so I've been doing that (and stretching) exclusively, and will for the next 5 or 6 weeks. From there I will begin adding in weight training if my cardio is where I think it should be.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
20 minutes on the bike @ 12-14 avg heart rate 133
27 minutes on the stair machine @ 30 steps/ min avg heart rate 147

I've noticed that my heart rate increases quicker when it needs to and drops A LOT faster when I lower the intensity, cool down, or rest.

I am now getting to the point that I can "out cardio" my legs. :beerchug:

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Good work. Keep it up.

It's hard to stay motivated. I hate hate hate cardio. I do enjoy weight lifting, though. Great stress relief for me.

^^^^This!
I have to push to go run or cycle but LOVE lifting weights or stretching. Moving my daughter's room today-so no time to go run, just move furniture and clean and move more stuff and more stuff. lol

Achilles

Forum Moron
Does a 40 mile hike in 3 days count as a workout?

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Does a 40 mile hike in 3 days count as a workout?

Damn rightist does!

Just got done with my workout for the day.

Bike @ 25 minutes + 5 minute cool down then stretching
Stairmaster @ 25 minutes + 2 minute cool down then quick stretch
6 minute cool down on the treadmill from 2.5 to 0.5

More stretching at home then an evil foam roller.

Tossed in some HIIT on the bike today...wow.

I also just realized that I've doubled my cardio in 8 weeks. The body is amazing.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm drinking beer on the porch right now. Just thought I'd keep you updated. :cool:

In all seriousness though you're making me want to go for a run.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I missed yesterday. Going for that walk today.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Haven't worked out today because I caught an OT shift.

Debating on if I want to go tonight after work (9ish) or tomorrow morning.

Also, the Jacuzzi is a good thing.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I did crossfit endurance today with bronchitis.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

dang man(or woman)...and here I am considering skipping the gym because I have a migraine.

This is for you firecoins:

beast-mode.jpg

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I almost went down doing a Crossfit Fairfax WOD with (at the time undiagnosed) left lower lobe pneumonia. We were doing a 15 min AMRAP of 165# power cleans, every minute on the minute do 7 hand release push-ups. We got a call about 11 minutes in, and I felt like I was back in BJJ class getting choked out.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Today's workout:

Three position hang snatch x 8 work sets, one from the hip crease, knee, and just above the floor. 2 second hold in the hang position. The barbell doesn't return to the floor until the three reps are completed. Then, for time, a triplet of 20# wallball, 53# kettlebell swing, 24" box jump, 21 reps of each, then 18's, 15's, 12's, 9's, 6's, 3's. 14:02 was the time.

Yesterday's workout:

Back squat singles @ 87% of 1RM, every 45 seconds, for 15 reps. Same for front squat, after 5 min rest. After another 5 min. rest, every minute on the minute - odd minutes were 185# power cleans with a jerk on the third rep, even minutes were three bar muscle-ups. 10 minute clock. To finish was a 2500m row, 8:50 time.

Last edited by a moderator: