THe REal Reason you became an EMT-B

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Because the fire department I was with said you had to or would lose your job.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I spent most of my life wanting to become an officer in the army of navy. My grandfather was in the navy during WWII and I was mesmerized by his war stories as a kid. When I grew up a bit I was still attracted to the idea of decision making under pressure and experiences that were meaningful and at the various emotional extremes.

Then in year 10 I discovered two things. Punk rock and biology. I loved biology and at my high school our biology classes had oddly clinical focus. So medicine became the dream. After a while the punk rock lifestyle of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll (READ: No sex, some rock 'n roll and lots of drugs) got to me a bit. Having always been a total nerd, my grades were still good but not high enough for medicine (you do medicine straight out of high school here in Aus and your grades have to be absurdly perfect), so I thought about the combination of extreme experiences, decision making under pressure and medical crap, and a paramedic degree popped into my head.

Being too lazy to write the application essay for paramedics, I started a science degree instead, realized research was not for me, had a brief stint in ICU owing to my drug and alcohol abuse, got clean and motivated, and returned to the paramedic degree the next year.

Four years on I can't think how it could have worked out better.

8jimi8

CFRN
Because Chicks in uniform are freaking hot

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think I'd usually go for chicks in scrubs before chicks in EMS field uniforms... I agree with usalsfyre

8jimi8

CFRN
They must use a different uniform company in Austin because the ones around here could make Megan Fox look like a 5...

that's kind of confusing...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
that's kind of confusing...

5 out of 10. But I don't think the "Urkle" pants that pass for female EMT uniforms are very attractive.

(looks around to make sure Mrs. usalsfyre isn't present)
Now, the female residents at CMC Dallas on the other hand...:D

8jimi8

CFRN
maybe i'm just attracted to the combination of trauma shears and...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
maybe i'm just attracted to the combination of trauma shears and...

trauma shears and boobs? It's ok you can say it :p For me, I usually love going to the pedi floors of a major hospital. For whatever reason all the cute nurses and residents are on a pedi service.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had no clue what I wanted to do in high school when I was applying for colleges, so I did a work experience program through my school at an auto shop, and that wasn't for me. The next semester I said why not and did the work program through my school with the local EMS agency and it was a rapid downhill slide from there :D My other option was nursing, which I still am considering in a year or so once I get my EMT-P, then possibly toughing it out and working in the ED/ICU and shooting for the stars with a HEMS job...

I agree with the cuties working on the pedi floors, and agree that EMS uniforms do not do the females wearing them justice!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wanted to be a hose monkey. Took basic, found it easy. Took medic because I thought it would help with the job hunt, fell in love. Now I find myself constantly reading and trying to excel, and in the process applying to a BSN school :p Probably more to come after that, too......

Oh, and chicks in uniform and in scrubs are equally attractive ;) What's the male equivalent of the female "badge bunny"... Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Scrubs...are you kidding me? You people are idiots.

Uniforms hands down.

Just between you, me and the internet, blondes look especially good in our dark blue uniforms. But I'm too professional to notice. B)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
It is weird that I would just notice this thread for the first time today, when it was only just earlier today that I realized the real reason I got into EMS at all.

It also explains why I've always felt a pull to somehow specialize in pediatrics, whether my long-term desire to become a pediatric critical care transport nurse, or my short-term desire to get on the pediatric or neonatal transport team as a driver. I thought kids were more important to me, that I wanted to be part of a team doing something with kids.

What I came to realize today, is that it isn't kids in general I'm trying to save. It's two kids in particular that I'm trying to save, which I will never be able to do because they never got the chance to exist. The law says they were never real, but I still feel that I'm responsible for their deaths. I can't save them but maybe I can be a part of saving other kids, and maybe that will mean something.

Some, probably most of you can figure out what I'm talking about, what it is I'm not saying. That's about as close as I come to talking about that part of my past, and I hope it will be understood and respected that that's as far as I want it to go.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
I became an EMT not for the less than emergent calls we take on a daily basis, but for the calls that come out as another ordinary ailment that turn into full codes, where I'm the only thing between someone's loved one and death. Like today. What was a 71yo fallen dispatch turned out to be a 71yo with AMS who coded right in front of me with her daughter and 15 year old granddaughter right next to me. While we weren't able to save her, I spent what felt like a hell of a long time doing everything I could and helping my medic do everything he could to save her. And when that failed, I spent a good thirty minutes in the ER consoling the daughter as they worked on her in the ER.

So ya, maybe I don't get to push narcs or meds, start IVs, etc, but we still make our mark. And I'm more than happy with it so far.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Oh, and having access to an unlimited free supply of KY jelly without people at the drug store asking all sorts of uncomfortable questions. :lol: (KIDDING BTW)

Im not kidding, this is a mjor perk, and not just for the obvious reasons

And there aint nothing hotter then a nice girl bending over to lace up her duty boots...something about a girl in combat boots just does it

oh and something about helping people and all that jazz...But i really is something that i started as a pssing interest and has become a passion. I will go get my P someday, probably when the PD pays for it, looks like next year(fingers crossed)

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
I work on an Engine out in the Forest. Every time we get a medical call, I was the designated person to do "traffic control". I hate doing traffic control. :D

calebsheltonmed23

Forum Probie
For the babes! lol. There is nothing like seeing a good looking gal get off the ambulance in a uniform! I did it because I've always been into medicine and the good ole adrenalin rush. I like helping people too, just some of them get on my nerves. But who does'nt, right?