THe REal Reason you became an EMT-B

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
cant do a job where i sit in an office all day. i like to be outdoors in the different environments. had a couple of stuff that happened when i was younger and decided to become a firefighter. learned that you have to be an EMT-B to be a firefighter. and then i heard some other info along the lines of "since i dont have any relatives in the fire service its gonna be hard for me to get hired as just an EMT-B firefighter. so i have to become a medic"

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
My dad was an EMT when I was younger, which influenced me into the job. One thing he said that I will always remember was "its a great feeling when a complete stranger calls 911 asking for your help". I got my basic cert at 18, and now two years later Im working on my paramedic. I dont really see EMS as a job, more like a hobby I get paid to do. That's my story...

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
..for the pay of course "E.arn M.oney S.leeping.. bahahah.

of course i dont get paid just yet, bc i am but a volunteer & love every minute of it.

i became an emt, because i like being out in the field, & helping people. As soon as i have a few years under my belt, i plan on getting my PHRN cert (pre hospital RN) & eventually when im super duper awesome life flight.

i may even get my medic cert if im feeling really ambitious-:)

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I became an EMT based on overly romantic notions of what EMTs do. Then compounded the error by going to Paramedic school based on overly romantic notions of what Paramedics do. I assume I will continue to repeat this basic error until I become a DR based on romantic assumptions of what they do. And then quit medecine to become a roofer. <_<

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I became an EMT based on overly romantic notions of what EMTs do. Then compounded the error by going to Paramedic school based on overly romantic notions of what Paramedics do. I assume I will continue to repeat this basic error until I become a DR based on romantic assumptions of what they do. And then quit medecine to become a roofer. <_<

Lmaooooo!

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the process of becoming one because 15 years chained to a repair bench with printers and computers on it really got old.

Raffie

Forum Probie
Definitely just the sheer feeling of accomplishment you get after running a 911 call. Goodness, that feels so good. That, and the look on little kid's faces when they see you enter a room in full uniform, that's more than enough to make my day right there. Makes me feel like a true hero.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely just the sheer feeling of accomplishment you get after running a 911 call. Goodness, that feels so good. That, and the look on little kid's faces when they see you enter a room in full uniform, that's more than enough to make my day right there. Makes me feel like a true hero.

:rolleyes: Either you're a newbie or a narcissist or both. The "feeling of accomplishment" will fade with time. After one, five, ten or fifteen years (in other words, however long it takes one to mature enough to realize that "good calls" are a bad thing for the patient) the feeling of accomplishment comes from getting through a shift without having to touch a patient. The only truly good shifts are when no one needs us because that means no one is that sick, in that much pain or suffering that much.

Maybe it's the burnout talking but it scares me to hear people talk about how some aspect of this job "makes me feel like a true hero" or the "sheer feeling of accomplishment you get after running a 911 call". The former is a sign of an unbalanced and unchecked ego normally because the only truly functional definition of a hero is someone who can control their emotions well enough to function in situations where other people panic and not let anyone else realize your just as scared as they are. If you're not scared or frightened or otherwise bothered by the suffering of another person or animal, then you're a sociopath. There are few things as insulting as being labeled a hero for simply doing one's job, except for seeing someone label themselves as such just because they think they look neat in the uniform.

The latter sort of comment about feeling a sense of accomplishment is a sign that one does not fully grasp the gravity of the situations they are being charged with tending to. There are precious few situations where we make one iota of difference so it is a very smug attitude to feel self-congratulatory over simple things. Most of what we do is simply the professional manifestation of the standards expected from good persons in the vast majority of cultures. I will freely admit that the only reason I remain in health care in any capacity is because it makes me feel good to take care of people who need it, when it comes to medical crises ("running a 911 call" as you so eloquently put it) those are the calls that should give one pause to consider what they have just witnessed not give them reason to clap themselves on the back over every last call. If the feeling you're describing doesn't come from tending to every patient you encounter, then you might just want to take an introspective look at yourself and question why it has to be exciting or thrilling to invoke the positive response you should get from helping your fellow man.

Like I said, the best calls are the ones where the patient never has to go to the hospital and the best shifts are the ones where no one gets sick or hurt.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
@USAF: The words "true hero" will piss anyone off. But its not impossible to gain deep satisfaction from ambulance work, even after many years. Plenty of blokes here that have been in the job 30 years or more still say they get up in the morning and enjoy going to work. 'Course, the ones that don't shot themselves years ago, or became train drivers, but just sayin'.

I wouldn't quite use the term "sheer feeling of accomplishment" but its not that far off the nice feeling I get out of picking granny up off the floor, giving her a quick check up, making a cup of tea, having a quick chat about her grandson and moving on. How about, turning on the sirens for the kids of the hypo you just reanimated. People die, get sick and live in miserable situations but its not my fault and its not my problem. Occasionally I get to make it just the tinniest bit better for them. I'm pretty happy with that. Sure I'm looking forward to an MPH and some research, some public health policy lobbying and so on but for now it sure beats the s**t out of being a tax accountant.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown likes the people side of being an Ambulance Officer. You can talk to many different people during the day, each has thier own unique perspective or problem or personality and that makes it increadibly interesting.

Brown finds people absolutely fascinating and loves getting the opportunity to talk to lots of different people about different things; like some bloke who just won ten grand on the lotto, to nana and her nice house and pictures of grandchildren, to the newlyweds and the young fella who got pissed and did something silly and everybody inbetween.

Brown would be lying if Brown said Brown did not enjoy the medical side of it too, Brown finds that highly fascinating.

Then there is the variety - its not the being chained to a desk robbing people of money for some corporate evildoers and slowly dying inside while doing so, it means you can use your hands and do something dexterious.

Oh and speaking of meeting people, if it werent for Ambulance then Brown would not have met Mrs Brown.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
:rolleyes: Either you're a newbie or a narcissist or both. The "feeling of accomplishment" will fade with time. After one, five, ten or fifteen years (in other words, however long it takes one to mature enough to realize that "good calls" are a bad thing for the patient) the feeling of accomplishment comes from getting through a shift without having to touch a patient. The only truly good shifts are when no one needs us because that means no one is that sick, in that much pain or suffering that much.

Maybe it's the burnout talking but it scares me to hear people talk about how some aspect of this job "makes me feel like a true hero" or the "sheer feeling of accomplishment you get after running a 911 call". The former is a sign of an unbalanced and unchecked ego normally because the only truly functional definition of a hero is someone who can control their emotions well enough to function in situations where other people panic and not let anyone else realize your just as scared as they are. If you're not scared or frightened or otherwise bothered by the suffering of another person or animal, then you're a sociopath. There are few things as insulting as being labeled a hero for simply doing one's job, except for seeing someone label themselves as such just because they think they look neat in the uniform.

The latter sort of comment about feeling a sense of accomplishment is a sign that one does not fully grasp the gravity of the situations they are being charged with tending to. There are precious few situations where we make one iota of difference so it is a very smug attitude to feel self-congratulatory over simple things. Most of what we do is simply the professional manifestation of the standards expected from good persons in the vast majority of cultures. I will freely admit that the only reason I remain in health care in any capacity is because it makes me feel good to take care of people who need it, when it comes to medical crises ("running a 911 call" as you so eloquently put it) those are the calls that should give one pause to consider what they have just witnessed not give them reason to clap themselves on the back over every last call. If the feeling you're describing doesn't come from tending to every patient you encounter, then you might just want to take an introspective look at yourself and question why it has to be exciting or thrilling to invoke the positive response you should get from helping your fellow man.

Like I said, the best calls are the ones where the patient never has to go to the hospital and the best shifts are the ones where no one gets sick or hurt.

Sociopathic narcissist. Really...... I mean really.

Unbelievable. You know the real problem with EMS, lack of leadership and guidance from more experienced providers, instead they go on Charlie Sheen like rants that suggest that they may have gone off the deep end.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Sociopathic narcissist. Really...... I mean really.
To be fair...my first though was "newbie or something's really wrong with this guy" as well. That thought coming from a guy who has definite narcissistic tendencies at times.

Unbelievable. You know the real problem with EMS, lack of leadership and guidance from more experienced providers,
Not speaking for usaf, but I know I get tired of trying to mentor these folks. They will ignore anything you try to tell them about the true nature of EMS because "your just burnt out". Six months later "your too nice, this isn't a taxi!". Two years later they're gone. To an FD, a PD, flipping burgers, or wherever the winds blow them.

instead they go on Charlie Sheen like rants that suggest that they may have gone off the deep end.
Aren't we all a little off the deep end ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Not speaking for usaf, but I know I get tired of trying to mentor these folks. They will ignore anything you try to tell them about the true nature of EMS because "your just burnt out". Six months later "your too nice, this isn't a taxi!". Two years later they're gone. To an FD, a PD, flipping burgers, or wherever the winds blow them.

Exactly.

lack of leadership and guidance from more experienced providers,

The lack of leadership is not at the level of the "more experienced providers", it's far above us at the levels that set the standards that allow anyone to waltz in with minimal education and fulfill their hero fantasies. If those of us at the senior levels of direct care were allowed to exercise leadership, the number of firings and suspensions for immaturity and general unsuitability would decimate our ranks of these wide-eyed and often unstable folks pretty quickly but unfortunately we are hindered from doing so because folks would then in turn accuse us of being too harsh. Pick one: you either get to be nice and coddling and supportive to the failing newbies and degenerate losers in this field or you get to advance the field. Having both is more or less impossible from a practical and functional standpoint.

Aren't we all a little off the deep end

If we weren't before getting into this field, we all are after a while.

Sociopathic narcissist. Really...... I mean really
If you actually read what I said, I never said he was a narcissistic sociopath. I said that if someone is not feeling emotions (other than the weird sort of glee some EMS personnel feel and label an "adrenaline rush") at the suffering of a person or an animal, then they have sociopathic features. Labeling yourself a "real hero" because little kids look at you and think you're cool is a pretty narcissistic thing to do. Don't you agree?

instead they go on Charlie Sheen like rants that suggest that they may have gone off the deep end.
Nah, the only Coke fueling me is legal and comes in 2-liter bottles. LOL

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If I could just perhaps temper this a little.

Is there any sought after trade or profession where the new people aren't generally excited with the more romantic aspects of the job?

Is that really a bad thing?

I was that kid once. That is where the journey begins.

Myself, and I think others agree, it is much easier to show the ropes and improve the eager new guy than the know it all or the guy so overwhelmed with the harships of the job. (The later of which, usually wash out in a spectacular way)

From my own perspective, I am trying to figure out if I am a narcissist or a sociopath.

I look forward to the tough patients. The greviously wounded. The complex medical issues. Actually if there are less than 3 organ systems involved without opposing treatments, I think the case is rather routine. Never seen by anyone on staff before is even better.

It is not that I wish suffering on people. I don't. But the ability to influence if people are sick or injured is well beyond my capability.

I am always honored to be the person people seek help from. Not in pursuit of being the best, or a hero, or important.

The patient seen tomorrow will not care about the patient helped yesterday or this morning. Sometimes that help is an easier death rather than going back to normal life.

Not trying to pick on EMS providers, but most are removed from the recovery/disability/death after a long drawn out effort part of medicine. It is much easier to retain the enthusiasm and romance when the patient is dead or not dead whn you find them and the whole event is over in a few hours and the goal is a heart beating.

The only way to reduce the amount of undesirables in EMS is to increase entry standards. However, considering that a large portion of EMS providers are volunteers, with various ambitions and desires, EMS is one of the only opportunities available to them to be more than another nameless face and feel good.

I don't forsee a way forward for EMS in the US without the support of the volunteer component.

In the meanwhile, the only option we have with the enthusiastic newcomers is to guide them or dissuade them. It seems better to me to have more friends than angry disillusioned exparticipants.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm willing to mentor, but I'm tired of trying to do so for those who don't/won't listen. Like I said I've been called a "burnout with no feelings" and a "bleeding heart who needs to be tougher" six months apart by the same person. There's only so many times you can go through that rodeo.

Personally, I'm a narcissist. I'm motivated mostly internally, but I admit no small measure of satisfaction comes from being the guy at the station that has the answers, or the truck that other providers are glad shows up to back them up, or the one my boss doesn't "worry" about. I like complex cases and sick people because it feeds my internal need to be the best I can be as well as the external needs as well. I'm fairly certain you would have to look far and wide to find anyone in medicine who didn't have pathology. The key is if your able to put it aside or not.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS and human goodness?

When I started in EMS at uni, I was actually more misanthropic than I am now. Its largely EMS that has made me appreciate people's good sides, which probably says something about how much I hated humanity beforehand :p

The thing that really got me (in a good way) is how strangers rally around someone when they're hurt or sick. Eg. Truck vs pedestrian I went to last year, industrial first aider from factory nearby taking good care of the ped, two other passers by directing traffic and a third random person wrapping his arms around the 6.2 foot, tattooed truck driver who had a torrent tears gushing out of his eyes. Overwhelmed with guilt and concern. All spontaneous and uncoordinated.

I expected idiots, criminals, nutters and arseholes. But I never really expected that.

Has anyone here seen surprised by people's good sides
(whatever the motivation)? Hahaha.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Usaf I think your one of the key contributors on this forum. The delivery at times leaves a little to be desired.

I'm one of the most opinionated people you will meet, if you haven't already noticed, this field makes me want to bang my head against a wall at times, for good reason.

My point is new providers at any level come into this field with a inflated sense of themselves, humility changes that quickly at least it did for me.

I don't think I'm a hero or a lifesaver, experience has taught me this. Its refreshing at times to me to witness the new providers, their energy is palpable. Their here and their ready to save lives. Their not jaded, judgmental or pessimistic and I envy that at times.

I doing like to rain on their parade, their children think there heros, what's wrong with that.

They will find out one way our another that it is rarely about saving lives, more like cleaning up the messes left behind, everyone needs to go through this its part of become a competent provider.

And yes I'm a little off the deep end, it comes with the territory.

Joe

Forum Captain
lights and sirens, and a sweet uniform... honestly, it looks fun and i think im good at it.( or atleast when i get hired) im 23 looking for a decent career where the scenery changes everyday. i can only look at the same chunk of grass or the same bobblehead on someones desk for so long. the fact you post up somewhere in the city and wait for a call to come in sounds sweet. along with all the blood and guts calls that come in.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Usaf im surprised at you. Youre not nearly as bitter as you used to be. Am i rubbing on you?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The delivery at times leaves a little to be desired.

I know and I have been trying to work on it.

They will find out one way our another that it is rarely about saving lives, more like cleaning up the messes left behind, everyone needs to go through this its part of become a competent provider

Point taken. I guess I was just lucky that I realized it within the first year I was in the field. Hell, I don't think I made it a few months even. I remember getting invited to speak when I was 20 to a friend of mine's junior high class about being an EMS provider. The timing could not have been worse- the call that pushed me over the edge of burnout the first time (the death of my friend John) was barely two months in the past- and I ended up giving a long-winded answer to a question about what it takes to be cut out for this field. The teacher had filmed it. She also was a volunteer EMT and so her assessment of what I had to say should count for something. She said it was the most brutally and emotionally honest assessment of a career she had ever seen given to her class in the 20 years she had been teaching. When she showed it to me later (and gave me a copy), I ended up realizing what a physical toll this job had taken from me. I looked about 15 years older than I actually was (which is saying something given that now- at 30- I still get pegged as being in my mid-20s). She made the comment that my presentation that day should be "required watching" for every EMT student which is why she gave me a copy. I'll see if I can find it to digitize it so I can post it on here. However the gist of it was:

"What does it take to be a good EMT? A strong back, a tolerance for the excesses of your fellow man, thick skin, and the ability to stare the worst humanity has to offer in the face without blinking are good starters. If you're going into the field with a soft heart and the belief you'll change the world, you're going to find yourself the one bleeding- emotionally and socially- and will be the one changed. There are the odd moments where you find yourself looking at the dead body of an accident victim and realize there's nothing that can be done so you just have this odd moment of pause because all you can do is take it. You'll find yourself tending to little old ladies who call the ambulance because no one comes to visit them and they are lonely and their chronic ailments are a convenient way to get some "nice young folks" to come spend a few minutes. You see the wages of self-abuse- the alcoholics, the drug addicts, the street walkers- and the victims of abuse at the hands of another. Until you've seen what happens when a worthless sack of :censored::censored::censored::censored: masquerading as a mother gets upset and can not handle her four month old baby having colic so she uses a clothes iron to punish the child, you can't say you've seen the depths of human depravity. This job shows you the absolute worst that mankind has to offer: the suffering, the selfishness, the torment, the sadism, the self-righteousness.

At the same time, you get to see the absolute best that this planet has to offer. You see a nine-year old boy step through a crowd at his church to perform CPR on his grandmother, while all the adults stand around and watch. You see folks who have no responsibility for their fellow man risk their lives, give their time and sometimes pay dearly with their life, their skin, their sweat and their blood in the name of trying to alleviate suffering. In this job, you have the opportunity to bring new life into this world and to ease the transition out of it. It's the occupational equivalent of A Tale of Two Cities: it's the best of times and the worst of times.

The folks you work with run the gamet from those just there for the meager pay check to those whose whole purpose in life seems to be running around trying to fix other peoples' problems, often without a forethought for their own issues. Some of them are burned out, some are obsessive and some are quite frankly on the verge of bat:censored::censored::censored::censored: insane. The hours are long, the pay is atrocious, the working conditions are often :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty, the thanks are few and far between and what you see takes its pound of flesh. You need look no further than me to see evidence of that.

So what does it take to work in EMS? It takes a very special kind of person. It's not for the faint of heart, the thin-skinned, the bleeding hearts, those who aren't willing to work hard. But if you can deal with all of this and are willing to put the necessary time and effort into honing and maintaining your skills, you can count yourself as having the privilege of being one of the few people turn to in the darkest of their moments."

Youre not nearly as bitter as you used to be. Am i rubbing on you?

Giggity.

....and yes, you are rubbing off on me a little.

Last edited by a moderator: