The public would be shocked if they knew...

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know the public is consistently shocked when they find out their insurance doesn't cover their non-emergent ambulance ride.

Why was I charged $1000 for a three mile ride to the hospital!? It was an emergency!

terrible one

Always wandering
How less than 10% of our calls actually require an ambulance.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Limited education of personnel
Limited evidence base for interventions
Slow adoption of evidence/evidence based practices
Lack of autonomy among providers
Lack of true national standardization
Limited physician oversight/involvement
Low pay, poor working conditions
inability to refuse to transport or provide a better alternative

Oh, and that many services are not truly public services.

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
The public would be shocked if they knew what nasty sense of humour we have to help us cope with those bad calls

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
The results of scraping any surface on a rig and culturing it. I feel like several of the above comments could be applied to healthcare in general.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe I've seen something like that recently...gotta take a look.
The results of scraping any surface on a rig and culturing it. I feel like several of the above comments could be applied to healthcare in general.

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
I believe I've seen something like that recently...gotta take a look.

Someone scraped the mic button in the back of a rig and ended up with some scary stuff. I assume youre thinking of the same thing, post it up if you find it.

Fwiw, my mic survived a dunking in Cavicide.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I feel like if ten random ambulances had hidden voice recorders in the cab just to pick up partners conversations, it would make a fairly entertaining tv show.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One of our medics did a study on the conversations that go on in the front of the ambulance. Some crews volunteered to carry around voice recorders.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
When I moved to California, I was shocked to learn that ambulances cost money.

My hometown in Maryland charges $45 for ALS 911 with a faster response than most places in California... You hear the sirens next door before you even finish stating the nature of your emergency. The response window is 3-5 minutes in much more sparse an area than California cities that have 8-12 minute windows.

Plus, many of the squads opted out of state/county funding because they didn't want to charge a penny, whereas receiving state money would require charging at least $45 per transport.