The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Earthworm Jim

Forum Probie
Hi everyone, I've been reading posts here for a few weeks now and am just getting around to introducing myself.
I'm currently an EMR in Alberta, going to be going to AHASTI in January for EMT and I couldn't be happier.
This is a big career change for me as currently I build computers for a retail electronics store, and I'm very excited to get away from retail, although I'll probably continue calling patients "customers" for a while still, haha.

Firefighter311

Forum Ride Along
Hello All

Hey folks. I am a career mechanical engineer and a volunteer firefighter (3 years now) with a department in southern Kentucky. My department recently offered to pay for myself and 2 other firefighters to go through basic level EMT training. As of now I am just past half-way through the course and am enjoying it quite well. Currently #1 or #2 in the class and going for the BLS bag that we get if we finish in first place. I have looked through the forums quite a bit and it looks to be a solid resource for information. Anyho, good to meet ya.

Asystol3

Forum Ride Along
Hi all I'm Daniel, I'm currently in the army as a medic although I am ETSing soon. I currently live in Savannah, GA however I'm from Texas originally. I'm a NRAEMT previously EMT-I under the old standards. I have my bachelors of health sciences and looking into going to medical school in the near future. I'm 25 years old and that really sums me up for the most part

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello all!

My name is Jim and I'm a brand new EMT-B. I am 24 years old. I spent 5 years in the Army and am now back home in Los Angeles County (City of Azusa), California. I'm in the Reserves but just finished my EMT course a couple months ago, got my National Registry and State Certifications, as well as the CA Ambulance Drivers License.

I'm still looking for a job at an ambulance company. So if anyone has a line on a company in LA County hiring new EMT-Bs I'd love to hear about it! Anything else, feel free to ask!

FEVER2

Forum Ride Along
Sup, dudes/dudettes...
Name's Abe, and I'm a CT/NY/NREMT-B that has a bunch of time to kill. I figured there's no better place to do it than surrounded by tons of brothers and sisters. Hoping for a good time!

dcemr7

Forum Probie
I've been on here for a couple months and finally decided to post here. My name is John and I will be going to EMT class this coming fall. I'm currently part of a volunteer Search and Rescue unit as well as a vol. FF/EMR with a local FD. I start fire class in a couple weeks. After EMT I want to go to Medic school also.

DesignPD

Forum Ride Along
Hello all. Used to be involved in EMS almost 15 years ago, then became a cop. (Don't hold that against me) Anyway, been reading these forums and trying to learn about the needs of EMS and EMTs. This site is great.

ardsranger

Forum Probie
Hello Guys

Im 51 years old and after considerable taught, I have deceived to get my EMT-B. I will be attending class at NOLS in January and hope to pass it and get started. Im kinda old for new career change but in very good physical shape. I will finish reading AAOS Emergency care and transport by the end of next week. Any other suggestion on prep for class.
bob

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
Hello my name is Angie. I am 46 yrs old. I live in rural north central Arkansas. I have been on the volunteer fire dept for 4 yrs. I have 2 grown boys both military and have been married to my 2nd husband for 2 1/2 years. I was told to be on the fire dept I had to be a first responder and after waiting and waiting for a FR class to be held near our fire dept my girl friend said hey there is a Basic EMT course we can take that would count as our FR for the fire dept. I said lets do it. Started the course in Aug of 11 and loved it and my husband said why don't you make a career out of it. I said ok. So here I am a year later and I have taken the EMT A course and passed the state psychomotor skills test and passed, and am preparing for the national test and I start Paramedic in Jan at UACCB. I currently hold certs in PHTLS ACLS PALS and am working on a hospital based ambulance service and prn on a privately owned ambulance service.

superjugo

Forum Ride Along
Throwing the hat in the ring.

Hello,

I recently certified as an EMT-B. I live in the LA area with my wife and two children. I am a commercial photographer. I had always been in awe of my wife. She works as a children's therapist. I've seen her work and how she has touched so many lives in a positive way. I want that same fulfillment in my work. That's why I became an EMT.

I'm looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing to this forum in the future.

Thanks

ctemsnewbie

Forum Ride Along
Hey Bob!
I will be starting my EMT-B course jan 2013. I will be 53 in feb. We are not old, we are experienced!

Best of luck!

- mark

ardsranger

Forum Probie
Mark

Mark,

Hey good for you Mark, I read another post by you,
I just got out of the I.T. world my self.
Was a Sr. Engineer for McKesson,
Cisco management of Wide area and Local area networks was my area
Mainly i did Vlans, PIX's , Trunking..........
(and all physical layer stuff copper, Single mode, Multimode fiber, im sure you know the drill.)

Oh and the pain in the tush, Server patches
stuff like that.
I have found the Computers is a contraindication to good health as a profession

msjellybean

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

I'm an RN. Currently work on a neuro-stroke medical & step down floor. Taking a pre-hospital RN class next summer. Will be starting an EMT-B class in a couple weeks, so I feel a bit more "legit" walking into PHRN (as opposed to just a floor nurse). Plus if I ever move out of Illinois, I'll be one step closer to medic.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Mark,

Hey good for you Mark, I read another post by you,
I just got out of the I.T. world my self.
Was a Sr. Engineer for McKesson,
Cisco management of Wide area and Local area networks was my area
Mainly i did Vlans, PIX's , Trunking..........
(and all physical layer stuff copper, Single mode, Multimode fiber, im sure you know the drill.)

Oh and the pain in the tush, Server patches
stuff like that.
I have found the Computers is a contraindication to good health as a profession

Some of us still do stuff like that, with the added aspect of doing it at the top of 100 foot towers. :wacko:

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Hi!

I'm an RN. Currently work on a neuro-stroke medical & step down floor. Taking a pre-hospital RN class next summer. Will be starting an EMT-B class in a couple weeks, so I feel a bit more "legit" walking into PHRN (as opposed to just a floor nurse). Plus if I ever move out of Illinois, I'll be one step closer to medic.

Hey, welcome to the forum! You made a good choice starting the new year with us here at EMTLife! Best of luck with EMT-B.

mediclife

Forum Probie
Hi,

I'm Chris and I will be starting my EMT-B class in Jan 2013. I am so pumped to be starting, its been a dream of mine for so many years.