The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Lizadizzle

Forum Probie
Hey :)

I'm Liz, fresh to EMS but not so much to being a public servant. I've been police/fire dispatching for 7 years. Both cities I've worked for transferred direct to EMSA for any medical calls so I've not done any EMS dispatching.

I just got married in December to my lovely wife on the 21st, so we claim that we saved the world. ^_^

We're hoping to relocate to Illinois at some point after I graduate, whether I end up in Chicago or a close outlying suburb is either or for me. I want to go flight, so anywhere I can get experience is a go for me.

I haven't quite decided if I want to do the bridge program from Paramedic to RN or not, but I'm somewhat leaning towards it so that if/when I do go flight, I can be flight nurse, or medic - whichever they need.

So... that's me. :) Any questions, ask away.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm Liz, fresh to EMS but not so much to being a public servant. I've been police/fire dispatching for 7 years. Both cities I've worked for transferred direct to EMSA for any medical calls so I've not done any EMS dispatching.

I just got married in December to my lovely wife on the 21st, so we claim that we saved the world. ^_^

We're hoping to relocate to Illinois at some point after I graduate, whether I end up in Chicago or a close outlying suburb is either or for me. I want to go flight, so anywhere I can get experience is a go for me.

I haven't quite decided if I want to do the bridge program from Paramedic to RN or not, but I'm somewhat leaning towards it so that if/when I do go flight, I can be flight nurse, or medic - whichever they need.

So... that's me. :) Any questions, ask away.

Hi liz welcome to EMTLIFE. I've moved your intro post here so more folks can meet you :)

dilhrchick

Forum Ride Along
Prospective Paramedic here....

Hi everyone. I'm considering a career change and am wanting some real world insight. I was a Medical Assistant about 10 yrs ago and loved it and was good at it. Office politics was the only issue. I only stayed in the field for 3 years. I'm looking to return now as a Paramedic. The problem is now I'm 41. But I consider myself a young 41. I used to drive an armored truck so am somewhat familiar with jumping in & out of the back of those vehicles. I'm in reasonable shape and know I need to amp that up if I decide to do this.

This is what I'm looking to find out. Am I being realistic as a 41 yr old female to start school for EMT/Paramedic? Will I realistically be able to satisfy the physical requirements? Do companies even want people my age?

Even if I didn't ask the question, any relevant advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks guys! :cool:

dilhrchick

Forum Ride Along

Training: Student

EMS Student
Hi Everyone,
I am Mindy, Momma to my 4 youngsters. I am starting over in a new career at the age of 42. I haven't been to school in over 20 years, and it has literally been a learning experience, no pun intended! My core classes start next month and I am stoked. I was a medic in the AF in the 90's, so I do have some experience. Looking forward to learning from y'all, and being the real deal! *****

Hi Mindy! I was excited to see your post--I'm not the only older female starting out. I'm still in the deciding phase, trying to see if I'm going to actually pursue this or not.

Good luck to you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nameless

Forum Probie
Salutations, everyone. I was perusing the internet in regards to many things EMT/Paramedic related, and I came across this relatively helpful-looking forum. I'm 20 years old, and it only took me 3 years of being in a university to realize that I want to become an EMT-P. I'm in the process right now of finishing up my last semester of college, which includes three first aid classes (not complaining, I love learning about this stuff!) which from there, I will be transferring back to my hometown to begin my EMT training and certification and then to a local community college to begin my 2-years associates in paramedic training. From there, who knows? Until then, I'm just here to learn what I can before I step into the world of emergency medicine. :)

MommaMedic3

Forum Ride Along

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I'm a emt / paramedic student, mom of 3 ( yes im crazy ).
I've grown up around the ems environment my whole life. I love helping people, & I love medicine. Not to mention long hours, little sleep, gallons of coffee an the people that come with it are all " normal " to me. HAHA. So ready for the good times & hell to come !

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

I've grown up around the ems environment my whole life. I love helping people, & I love medicine. Not to mention long hours, little sleep, gallons of coffee an the people that come with it are all " normal " to me. HAHA. So ready for the good times & hell to come !

Welcome, and good luck with school!

Baberina

Forum Ride Along
Hello all.

My name is Ash. I'm from Topeka, Kansas. 22 years old. I'll be an EMT student this year. I thought I'd join this site so I could get to know some of the people who are already out there in the field.

Momma4

Forum Ride Along

Training: Student

EMS Student
Hi Everyone,
I am Mindy, Momma to my 4 youngsters. I am starting over in a new career at the age of 42. I haven't been to school in over 20 years, and it has literally been a learning experience, no pun intended! My core classes start next month and I am stoked. I was a medic in the AF in the 90's, so I do have some experience. Looking forward to learning from y'all, and being the real deal! *****

Hi Mindy! I was excited to see your post--I'm not the only older female starting out. I'm still in the deciding phase, trying to see if I'm going to actually pursue this or not.

Good luck to you!!
Not crazy at all! I never thought I would be pursuing a career at my age. Going back to school was scary at first, but everyday I love it more and more! There are two students in my class that are over the age of 50. We are young!! :)

Momma4

Forum Ride Along

Hi! Us mommas have to stick together! I have 4 kids (that doesn't include their friends that perpetually LIVE at my house,) and am still adjusting to having my husband run the house! (SMH!!) I am an adrenaline junkie, myself. I am in A&P right now, and will begin EMT-B next month. Intense learning, but I work under pressure, best!! Good Luck to you!

75healyt

Forum Ride Along

Hey everybody,

I'm Tyler of Fresno CA, and recently passed the NREMT EMT-B exam. I am a student at CSU Fresno pursuing a degree in Athletic Training and eventually physical therapy. For the time being, I am looking for EMT or ED Tech jobs. I am looking for any and all advice in EMS and hopefully any tips on jobs in the Fresno area. I looking foreward into jumping into the mix!

millsanna64

Forum Ride Along
Hello

Hello everyone! I have been an EMT for 27 years in NJ. Just wanted to say hello and look forward to talking and learning from all of you! :rolleyes:

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Hello from Central FL

FIrst off, sorry I'm an idiot and missed this thread. If someone could delete my other thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone! I may be a bit premature in joining this forum as I'm not all the way finished with my EMT-B certification, but what the heck. If I fail the NREMT I'll go away I promise.

Anyways, I'm 26, I was in the Army for 6 years, and I'm now in the National Guard. I'm getting into EMS as a stepping stone to get further into medicine, as I would really like to be a Physicians Assistant. I'm at a bit of a crossroads as I'm not sure if I want to get my Paramedic certification, or just work as an EMT-B while working towards getting into a PA program.

Anyways, glad to be here. I'm really excited to start working in whatever capacity I can here in the next few weeks.

WyoMedic

Forum Probie
Hello from wonderful Wyoming!

I have been perusing these forums for about a month now and finally decided to register in case I ever feel the need to share my opinions. Have had my EMT-B for a few years now and just got my shiny, gold Medic patch last September. Looking forward to joining in some of the great conversations on here.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey all,

I've been posting on these forums for a few weeks now, but have not formally introduced myself.

I've been a paramedic since 1999, shortly after leaving the military. I worked for just a couple years as a street medic in a busy urban 911 system, and then got into flying. I became an RN while working full-time as a flight paramedic.

Most of my career has been spent as a flight nurse, but I've also worked quite a bit in ICU's and a little in the ED. I've also done a fair amount of teaching in CCEMTP and similar courses, and I've done some writing and some lecturing at the national level.

I'm now a full-time grad student (CRNA) and hoping to get involved in EMS again once I'm out of school and settled into my anesthesia career.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I'm now a full-time grad student (CRNA) and hoping to get involved in EMS again once I'm out of school and settled into my anesthesia career.

Welcome. It's always nice to have another RN on the forum, we are a rare breed around here.

CRNA is my goal in a few years

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Welcome. It's always nice to have another RN on the forum, we are a rare breed around here.

CRNA is my goal in a few years

Hey,

I am enjoying what I'm learning and I think I'll like doing anesthesia, but if I had it to do over again, I probably would have done a distance NP program instead, and then done anesthesia later if I still wanted to. U. South Alabama has an online combined FNP/ACNP program that I could have done while still flying full time and it would probably have saved me over $100k, and I don't know that I'd be any less happy doing that than anesthesia.

I'm thinking about doing that program when I'm done with this one, but doing it that way (CRNA --> NP) is harder, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esteves24

Forum Probie
Noob to site

I am a EMT-B in Orlando Florida with over 5 years of experience. I'm looking to find answers to my question but have no idea on how to start my first thread on here .Can anyone help?

chitownvolly

Forum Ride Along
hi

Hi there,

I'm new to the site. Long time lurker though. I've been taking classes so I can volunteer with my local volunteer fire department as an emt. Love the forum and look forward to learning.