The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys! My name is Nicole, I'm from CT and I'll be 22 years old next month. I just signed up to EMTLIFE tonight hoping I can gain some insight, advice, and familiarize myself with the world of EMS.

I'm currently a college student and I start my EMT-Basic training January 2011.

Any tips for a beginner just starting out would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping to engage in some interesting discussions with you guys in the future.

Best of luck to everyone else just starting out!
To those of you who already have previous EMS experience: thank you, and keep it up - I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

I'm a pretty green basic, almost a year now. If I could give anyone advice going into class, it would be 1- you're not the only one freaking out. and 2- Always BSI/scene safe & ABCs. :) Good luck!

EMSLife32

Forum Ride Along
Thank you! Haha yeah, I am a little nervous as January approaches but it's good to know I'm not the only one. After being a Basic for almost a year, what do you think so far? Was it what you expected? Thanks again & good luck to you too!

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
After being a Basic for almost a year, what do you think so far? Was it what you expected? Thanks again & good luck to you too!

Oh boy.. was it what I expected? Well I have an odd intro to EMS. I got hired on a private BLS service when I was 14 doing office work, filing, detailing rigs, or whatever else they told me to. I was enrolled as a chem/bio double major with spanish minor at Indiana University and decided being an EMT would pay better than waitressing in college. Started class, fell in love, and changed my major by midterm.
What do I think so far? Hm.. I adore EMS. It's taken over my life and I love it.
Don't let class fool you. It's not all business. I'm not saying don't be professional -that's HUGE, but don't be all work, no play, either. Talk to people: patients, partners, dialysis techs, ER staff, become a regular at a few restaurants on shift... It's a wonderful thing :)

EMSLife32

Forum Ride Along
Oh wow, so you've been exposed to EMS right from the beginning that's awesome. That's great advice actually, I'll definitely familiarize myself with whatever area/people I happen to be on shift (hopefully!) when the time comes. Yeah with the job being as serious/professional as it is, I feel like having a sense of humor is a must in order to stay sane. I was actually reading some of the humor threads prior to this, some of them were pretty funny. Example: women delivers baby while wearing spandex (or something along those lines) LOL.

When it came to your EMT-B education, what were your ride-a-longs like? Was it just observational or were you allowed to help out? Thanks again, I really appreciate the insight I hope I'm not being too annoying haha

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
When it came to your EMT-B education, what were your ride-a-longs like? Was it just observational or were you allowed to help out? Thanks again, I really appreciate the insight I hope I'm not being too annoying haha

No worries, dude. I'm doing calculus. Hence being on here. Mental breaks are a wonderful thing.
Ride-alongs.. Well for me, I put in 100+ hours (just because I could) and only had 5 or 10 calls, all refusals but two. I had rollovers, head vs. windshield, possible attempted suicide, whatever... and all refusals. Ironically, the two that weren't were one of the service employee's grandparents. Grandma one week, grandpa the next.
Anyway, ride-alongs for me were extremely uneventful no matter how long I hung around. For classmates, some had to bag patients, some assisted with compressions.. it all depends on who you're working with and what they're allowed to allow you to help with. I never had ER time because my class worked an H1N1 clinic first aid and were given a bye on that.
Ask away. I'm on #30/47

EMSLife32

Forum Ride Along
Oh okay, so it's pretty variable on what I'll have to do. I actually just posted my 1st open question (I'm still new to this forum thing) and I asked the same thing, I'm just curious if different areas/states/programs have you do different things but it really sounds like it just depends on who I get to go with or if an extra set of hands is needed for something. Lots of downtime it seems. Hmm. Wow, so out of all the hours you put in you only got about 5-10 calls? I'm assuming you don't work in a big city? And what's the "gory" stuff like in real life (head vs. windshield) and things like that, I have the textbook and I'm okay with the pictures in it so far.

And thanks so much btw, I do unfortunately have to go, but it was awesome to talk to you/make a new friend on my first night here. I'll check back on the thread tomorrow.

Good luck with the Calculus! - I never took it (yet) and I heard it's pretty challenging.

-Nicole

sbemt4596

Forum Probie
Hey guys! My name is Nicole, I'm from CT and I'll be 22 years old next month. I just signed up to EMTLIFE tonight hoping I can gain some insight, advice, and familiarize myself with the world of EMS.

I'm currently a college student and I start my EMT-Basic training January 2011.

Any tips for a beginner just starting out would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping to engage in some interesting discussions with you guys in the future.

Best of luck to everyone else just starting out!
To those of you who already have previous EMS experience: thank you, and keep it up - I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Hey Nicole welcome! One piece of free advice check out this podcast http://www.emsnewbie.com/ start listening from the first episodes that's where they are talking about EMT-B, they answer a lot of common questions that arise as you go through your training, yes some of them may not apply to you in CT since they are from TX and LA, but it is mostly useful stuff. also don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to jump in and be the first to try something, important lessons I learned from my EMT class. Good luck to you and enjoy it, it's a blast if you let it be!

sbemt4596

Forum Probie
Oh okay, so it's pretty variable on what I'll have to do. I actually just posted my 1st open question (I'm still new to this forum thing) and I asked the same thing, I'm just curious if different areas/states/programs have you do different things but it really sounds like it just depends on who I get to go with or if an extra set of hands is needed for something. Lots of downtime it seems. Hmm. Wow, so out of all the hours you put in you only got about 5-10 calls? I'm assuming you don't work in a big city? And what's the "gory" stuff like in real life (head vs. windshield) and things like that, I have the textbook and I'm okay with the pictures in it so far.

And thanks so much btw, I do unfortunately have to go, but it was awesome to talk to you/make a new friend on my first night here. I'll check back on the thread tomorrow.

Good luck with the Calculus! - I never took it (yet) and I heard it's pretty challenging.

-Nicole

Nicole, sorry to stick in my nose but as a still fairly new EMT myself I have to say I guess my ride-alongs weren't so bad. In 10 hours I saw enough I guess, on the ambulance we ran a few descent calls - syncopal episode, seizure, MVC, helicopter intersept - and at the ER I saw some stuff too - helped set a broken ulna, helped hold down an infant who was not liking having his blood drawn, stiches, tests, applied restraints on a pt, nothing too major but it's wasn't super boring either.
As for the gory stuff it's not all that bad, you actually don't really notice how bad it is at the time that you are working it because your adrenaline is pumping. The really tough calls to handle are kids - sick kids, injured kids, and especially dead kids.

LWolf

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!
I am an EMT-B just looking to get back into the swing of things after a few years off work. I plan to start with a local volunteer ambulance and rescue squad while attending school part time. I live in PA.

I am also in the process of doing my required 24 Continuing Education credits. 4.5 down, so far! So, technically my license has expired but I am getting it back as soon as I finish the credits.

Anyway! I hope to meet some people here!
LWolf

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey everyone!
I am an EMT-B just looking to get back into the swing of things after a few years off work. I plan to start with a local volunteer ambulance and rescue squad while attending school part time. I live in PA.

I am also in the process of doing my required 24 Continuing Education credits. 4.5 down, so far! So, technically my license has expired but I am getting it back as soon as I finish the credits.

LWolf

Welcome to EMTLife! Tell your friends about us.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

LWolf

Does PA have a 'grace period' after your license expires for you to complete your CEU's and reapply for your license?

LWolf

Forum Ride Along
As far as I understand, yes. I think as long as it hasn't been years and years you are okay. I spoke with a woman on the phone who assured me that I would be able to get my license reinstated.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There will more than likely be a late fee for letting it lapse. I'm racing the clock trying to get my NREMT-I test done and my application in to the NVEMS office before the end of the year when my cert expires. Late fees aren't in my budget at the moment. Good luck with your CEUs. Keep us posted on how it works out!

Navajib

Forum Probie
Hello fellow Medics!

My name is Miranda, and I am a newly, certified EMT-Basic in Houston. I attend North Harris's paramedic AAS program and as of recently, started to volunteer at the local EMS service, CCEMS (first shift is next week).

I hope to meet some new people!

--Miranda

BluesMedic

Forum Probie
Hello

Hello all,

I am a Paramedic practicing in North Carolina, US. I have been in the "business" for 16 years. I started off as a volunteer firefighter. I went on to obtain my EMT-Basic, then EMT-Intermediate and finaly EMT-Paramedic. I have since went on to obtain my CCP-C and FP-C, (critical care paramedic- certified, flight paramedic- certified) and my associates in science. I work in a rural, county-based service where transport times range from 20 min to over an hour to a major trauma/medical facility. I am also an EMS educator/ coordinator. I am currently working on a Bachelor's in EMS/ Education. I enjoy music in general and the blues in specific, hence the name and play the guitar in my spare time. I have been reading posts and threads on this site for a while now and finally decided to throw my two cents in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Hello everyone. My name is Stormy and I'm an EMT-B located in Central Kentucky. I've had my state and national certifications since October of this year. I've been involved in ground search and rescue since I was 16 years of age and continue to be active in training with that. I look forward to becoming an active part of the EMS community. ^_^

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Hello, my username here will be Asimurk. What it means, I don't know, made it up on the spot.

I am soon to be an student working towards EMT-B certification, and for some reason I want to be a paramedic. I don't know why, just do.

Right now I'm wondering what kind of physical condition a person should be in for an EMS job.

sbemt4596

Forum Probie
Right now I'm wondering what kind of physical condition a person should be in for an EMS job.

Asimurk welcome, our job is physically demanding so you do need to be in great physical shape. We do a lot of lifting and carrying, our equipment can get pretty heavy and patients that ARE heavy, often times VERY heavy! and all too often we are stuck carrying a 200 pound patient down multiple flights of stairs, or over poor terrain to the ambulance. You also have to be able to do procedures such as CPR for extended periods of time, and if you have taken at least a half decent CPR course you have an idea of how difficult good quality CPR is to perform and how draining it is. I can't speak for all companies but the ones that I have applied to and have worked for require you to pass a physical test on top of the written and skills tests. So I'd say if you are lacking in the PT department than it's time to hit the gym. Good luck in your EMT training. EMS is an awesome and rewarding career choice if you allow it to be.

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Asimurk welcome, our job is physically demanding so you do need to be in great physical shape. We do a lot of lifting and carrying, our equipment can get pretty heavy and patients that ARE heavy, often times VERY heavy! and all too often we are stuck carrying a 200 pound patient down multiple flights of stairs, or over poor terrain to the ambulance. You also have to be able to do procedures such as CPR for extended periods of time, and if you have taken at least a half decent CPR course you have an idea of how difficult good quality CPR is to perform and how draining it is. I can't speak for all companies but the ones that I have applied to and have worked for require you to pass a physical test on top of the written and skills tests. So I'd say if you are lacking in the PT department than it's time to hit the gym. Good luck in your EMT training. EMS is an awesome and rewarding career choice if you allow it to be.

Crud, if passing a PT test is necessary for a job I'm boned. Thank you for the tips. Carrying stuff I should be all right with at least.