the 100% directionless thread

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Dog is home from his first Injection for heart worms.

No running, jumping, or aggressive playing for the next 10 weeks minimum. This will test my sanity.
Yeah. You’ll have to really cut back on your food intake. Maybe your family can play with the pup.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
They're setting up a new Crisis Outreach Response and Engagement (CORE) program here, using an ambulance with two EMTs and a Community Health Worker (and apparently their uniform will be a red polo shirt and blue jeans lol) to respond to homeless patients who "need medical attention but don't need the Emergency Room" and can take them directly to Alternative Destinations like clinics, apparently arranging transportation (whether their ambulance or something else) when they leave the hospital to take them directly to housing or a shelter.

This may be the best thing I’ve ever heard.
Well they're starting the CORE responses already, saw them listed on the CAD a few times yesterday (and even caught a site of their red ambulance driving by on the freeway earlier) Here's hoping the program works and gets expanded!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently my Department is offering an AMLS class for us to sign up for. I'm not *not* thinking about it lol, anyone been to one? Is it any good?
(Though I'd still rather go to that PHTLS class I signed up for and had a course date right before the state went into COVID lockdown year before last, and the Department canceled all the extraneous training events, and while we've since restarted almost all of that, no word on said PHTLS.... but we do have a Ground Ladders course coming up. Although as an FD that is a conventional skills class haha)

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently my Department is offering an AMLS class for us to sign up for. I'm not *not* thinking about it lol, anyone been to one? Is it any good?
(Though I'd still rather go to that PHTLS class I signed up for and had a course date right before the state went into COVID lockdown year before last, and the Department canceled all the extraneous training events, and while we've since restarted almost all of that, no word on said PHTLS.... but we do have a Ground Ladders course coming up. Although as an FD that is a conventional skills class haha)

AMLS is my favorite to teach out of the cookie cutter card classes.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Thanks now I want cookies.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
AMLS was ok, but at this point I don’t know how much good it would do me, not could I ever see myself paying for it.

I still wish it was tied to every paramedic school’s curriculum.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
AMLS was ok, but at this point I don’t know how much good it would do me, not could I ever see myself paying for it.

I still wish it was tied to every paramedic school’s curriculum.
AMLS isn't required for us for obvious reasons. I've always looked at it as a review of Paramedic school medical modules. That's education that a critical care Paramedic should breeze through.

I almost always teach it at the local community College medic program, so to them it's new information. It's not a fun class to teach to seasoned medics.

It's the one class where I really feel free to stray from the power points.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
AMLS hasn't been required anywhere I work. It's a short class like ACLS, PALS, but I feel like it has nothing to add. Kind of the same old stuff talked about again.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
AMLS hasn't been required anywhere I work. It's a short class like ACLS, PALS, but I feel like it has nothing to add. Kind of the same old stuff talked about again.
They offered it for about a year or so at work. Most of the paramedics liked it and swore it was this great new class.

It always seemed like medical PHTLS to me, but maybe because it’s an NAEMT class, I don’t know.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Pretty excited. Our quartz is finally being put into our pool today. Looks like I’ll be back to swimming sooner than I’d anticipated.

I also just found out Bowflex makes a curl/ EZ curl bar with adjustable plates like their free weights.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
They offered it for about a year or so at work. Most of the paramedics liked it and swore it was this great new class.

It always seemed like medical PHTLS to me, but maybe because it’s an NAEMT class, I don’t know.
It's funny because I posted at the same time as @GMCmedic ane I feel like they nailed why AMLS was not interesting to me. To a new and inexperienced EMT/medic, it's gonna be all the rage. To someone with at least a couple of years, taken a couple of refreshers, lots of CEs, it is like "This BS again? Ugh!" Sit there and listen to all these dumb medical aphorism "blood goes round and round, air in and out, any other variation is bad", "treat the patient, not the monitor", act like you've never heard of Cushing triad or Beck triad before, give the same old tips and tricks, and it is like ugh.... I took AMLS I think when I had already been a medic for like a year and wasn't really impressed. Honestly resembled ITLS I think with that primary survery, secondary survey, ongoing, etc... It resembles ITLS the most, just medical instead of trauma.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I took AMLS a little over a year ago after having 6 years of medic experience in a busy system and 2 years of flight experience. I enjoyed the class. Yes it didn’t cover any new subjects for me nor did it cover anything at the critical care level but that’s not what the class is/was designed for so I’m not gonna hate on it for that. I found it to be a very good review class for your general paramedic material.

Since my company offers it for free when my current cert expires I will renew it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Definitely not “hating” on it, in fact the last time I took it was long before I was a flight paramedic.

I have a hard time with keeping any of those classes up though, especially as the years go on. I feel similar about NRP.

For me personally, I don’t think the mostly online platform specifically for these classes has helped. They just seem even more watered down than before.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
First time printing a mile long code summary. Picked up the neighboring County thinking it was going to be an impending respiratory failure. Ended up being increasing PVC's that turned into runs of VTach and briefly sustained VTach.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Active shooter in my town today. I was blissfully unaware, as I was mowing the lawn while my phone was blowing up.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Yikes

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It looks great!
I'm going to need someone to ELI5 how to maintain a nice lawn.

Despite paying for a lawn service to spray, mine is dead. Installing irrigation in a few weeks.

Where do I learn the basics?