the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Just found out we're losing two more FFs. That makes 22 in 5 years. Im so sick of the turnover.

People tired of running calls in Highland?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
People tired of running calls in Highland
No. Ocotillo Wells. We lost our 4% raise because the district didnt renew the transport contract with SDCo. Well, we still are running calls out there and now the engine is going too, and we're still getting paid less. Its embarrassing, one guy is leaving to go back to AMR, what municipal FD loses employees to AMR!? District is playing poor, but we are 29% below the next dept in the county. Yes, we are slow, but ****, I had a 6pt TC with ejection, landed 4 airships on the highway, and oh yeah, the car was on fire, with the next resource 30min away. But hey, we dont deserve a raise.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Got home late and could only get like two hours of sleep. As weird as this sounds, one of the transports I did yesterday is really getting to me.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
No. Ocotillo Wells. We lost our 4% raise because the district didnt renew the transport contract with SDCo. Well, we still are running calls out there and now the engine is going too, and we're still getting paid less. Its embarrassing, one guy is leaving to go back to AMR, what municipal FD loses employees to AMR!? District is playing poor, but we are 29% below the next dept in the county. Yes, we are slow, but ****, I had a 6pt TC with ejection, landed 4 airships on the highway, and oh yeah, the car was on fire, with the next resource 30min away. But hey, we dont deserve a raise.

The bear will always welcome you back with a hug and a force.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Got home late and could only get like two hours of sleep. As weird as this sounds, one of the transports I did yesterday is really getting to me.
Want to talk about it?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Are you serious right now? Honestly hard to tell.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I met the guy who was involved in inventing it. We used to sit at the Round Table pizza and play for hours. Then we got the home version.
Cool, I watched a Netflix documentary with him in it. He talked about how he invented it.

Almost completely moved in. Even squeezed in a pool estimate. Not bad for it being just the 5 of us (including a busy *** toddler), and 2 movers.

Time ta get my drank on...

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I got a pack of belvita biscuits and was munching on them when I had to get out and spot my partner. Get back in the ambulance and they fell and broke on the floor. 😭

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Despite what is commonly told, being on a red truck doesn’t always make things better. We’ve had a couple people come back to AMR since they removed the pay cap. We’ve also been seeing a decent amount of apps filled out for HEMS by current FF/PM.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I am very happy when Daylight Saving comes around each year

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Despite what is commonly told, being on a red truck doesn’t always make things better. We’ve had a couple people come back to AMR since they removed the pay cap. We’ve also been seeing a decent amount of apps filled out for HEMS by current FF/PM.
I agree 100%, it doesn't. But I would say that it is better than working for AMR anywhere. HEMS, sure I can see that, especially if you love the medicine. Im looking into TX at a couple 3rd service options if the wife will be down. That being said, the benefits/retirement, at least for me with 4 kids, are worth it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Perhaps I am taking your post the wrong way, but given the benefits and perks of a municipal job in CA, it sounds awfully whiny to be complaining about having to do the type of work that you signed up for. Lots of people do jobs very similar to yours for a lot less compensation. And lots of municipal retirement systems get by without needing to be funded by taxpayers who live on other side of the country and in many cases make a lot less money than those asking for the bailouts (I know that hasn't happened yet, but it's pretty much inevitable at this point).

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Perhaps I am taking your post the wrong way, but given the benefits and perks of a municipal job in CA, it sounds awfully whiny to be complaining about having to do the type of work that you signed up for. Lots of people do jobs very similar to yours for a lot less compensation. And lots of municipal retirement systems get by without needing to be funded by taxpayers who live on other side of the country and in many cases make a lot less money than those asking for the bailouts (I know that hasn't happened yet, but it's pretty much inevitable at this point).
We got a 4% raise based on an ambulance contract, then lost it when the contract was not renewed. The problem I have is not with running the calls, its the fact that we are still doing the same things in the same areas, and in fact, more responses into that contracted zone, and yet we lost the compensation for it. Also, besides that 4% have not had an increase since 2007. COL has increased exponentially since then. Again, 29% less than a comparable dept in our own county. Is that whiny to want a COLA after 14 years? Sure, do I have a great benefit package and a defined benefit retirement, absolutely. Does not change how much it costs to live in SoCal, and when people in comparable agencies are making significantly more, that's a problem. You can't compare how much someone in a state that costs far less to live makes doing my job.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Stuck in Denver because of the storm. Got out to try and remove some of the 8in of snow on my windshield and stepped on a ziploc baggie that had been left on the door step to my truck. Couldn't see it because it was also completely buried under the 8in of snow. Somebody left me a bag of homemade jerky. Hoping it was a fellow employee and not some random nut job.