the 100% directionless thread

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Was it due to this guy?
148BF114-AE4E-409E-82F1-000F9281C2C5.jpeg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn, Navy ship USS Bonhomme Richard (one of the mini carrier amphibious assualt ships) is on fire in San Diego after an explosion on board while at pier...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Otherwise we got issued new trauma equipment. 5 Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) and a SAM Junctional Tourniquet.

The IFAKs are in addition to our normal trauma bag, supposedly for "Active Threat" situations where we go in on a Rescue Task Force with PD and do care before dragging the patients out to ambulance staging. They have things like CAT TQs, henostatic guaze (we're only authorized to use that in said Active Threat situations, not normal everyday medicals, for reasons....), conpressed guaze, hyfin chest seals (we have in our normal trauma bag tho...), needle decompression even...

Last edited by a moderator:

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
@Jim37F did you mean to leave what I assume is the address of your station visible?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Somebody is going to have a lot if paperwork to fill out over this one.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Longstanding abusive addict cousin is finally is getting his comeuppance. He had been terrorizing my grandma. She's been trying to protect him for so long (paying protection money to others whet he's in jail. Taking him to get pass kits for drug tests for probation, taking him places, giving him money)

He axed her car and home. And I guess kidnapped her? One night she was so scared of him she slept in her rental car in the Walmart parking lot, plus they locked her out of the home.

We all begged her to kick him out of her house, to stop placating him and when he goes to jail, not to bail him out or get charges reduced. He's psychotic, usually drunk/high.

After this last bout, she's finally agreed to testify but still very upset he'll be going to prison. He was already on felony probation. They've made it so she can't post his bail (no bail set right now thus far), he isn't allowed to go near her home or contact her, etc.

The court date is today. They're trying to stack a many charges as they can on him.

The DA emailed me to give me the update. I hope they throw the book at him.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Love all the knuckleheads not pulling over for her....
Being as it was LA, I guess we should be happy they didn't try to cut across her nose to turn in front of her.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
About time that Kern County finally stepped up their game on policies/protocols. Added Ketamine, TXA, Acetaminophen, push dose epi, plus a specific policy regarding 911 abusers.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's this about the abusers?
They adopted a specific policy where they will refuse transport to known 911 abusers. They will still respond out and verify the patient is not dead/dying and then flat out tell them to piss off.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
They adopted a specific policy where they will refuse transport to known 911 abusers. They will stalk respond out and verify the patient is not dead/dying and then flat out tell them to piss off.

How do they determine this though? They cry wolf, but what about liability if EMS isn't dispatched and there was a real call?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How do they determine this though? They cry wolf, but what about liability if EMS isn't dispatched and there was a real call?
As I stated, EMS still responds. They complete a full ALS assessment and if there are no findings that indicate a serious problem they say bye.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
As I stated, EMS still responds. They complete a full ALS assessment and if there are no findings that indicate a serious problem they say bye.

Oh. I'm sorry. My brain is at the point to apparently skipping entire sentences I've read 3 times in a row...?

So the just "WMA" the pt whether they want to or not?

Do they get charges for false emergency calls?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh. I'm sorry. My brain is at the point to apparently skipping entire sentences I've read 3 times in a row...?

So the just "WMA" the pt whether they want to or not?

Do they get charges for false emergency calls?
It is not an AMA. AMA is Against Medical Advise as in the patient should be treated or transported but the patient doesn’t want to. This is the opposite. The patient wants to be transported but isn’t. There are already several places that are doing paramedic refusals. It’s nice to see a CA county hop on the wagon. If it’s successful I can see many other counties following suit.

They have also shifted a lot of the liability for these instances to the EMS Medical Director. It’s an extensive process to get your name placed on the list and the patients name has to be on the county wide list of 911 abusers before a medic can refuse transport.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
It is not an AMA. AMA is Against Medical Advise as in the patient should be treated or transported but the patient doesn’t want to. This is the opposite. The patient wants to be transported but isn’t. There are already several places that are doing paramedic refusals. It’s nice to see a CA county hop on the wagon. If it’s successful I can see many other counties following suit.

They have also shifted a lot of the liability for these instances to the EMS Medical Director. It’s an extensive process to get your name placed on the list and the patients name has to be on the county wide list of 911 abusers before a medic can refuse transport.

That's why I said WMA. I kind of made up the term. With Medical Advice. Or would it be. DMC Denied Medical Care (Crew). There aught to be an acronym made.

Sounds like you must be well deserved to be on the crap list to be there.

How much time is this going to save per transport (or lack of, compared to prior times ), or what's hoped?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's why I said WMA. I kind of made up the term. With Medical Advice. Or would it be. DMC Denied Medical Care (Crew). There aught to be an acronym made.

Sounds like you must be well deserved to be on the crap list to be there.

How much time is this going to save per transport (or lack of, compared to prior times ), or what's hoped?
It could save 30 minutes or it could save several hours if you get hit on bed delay. But it should also reduce the amount of times these patients are seen in the ED. There are other systems built in to have the patient referred to services that are better able to help them such as mental health or public nursing/community paramedicine

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
There is an EMTALA term for it: Was Refused Care.

If this was done in an ED it would be a blatant violation of EMTALA as a medical screening exam must be performed by an LIP.

Even if we discharged a completely BS complaint 20 minutes ago, if the patient checks in with a new complaint we are obligated to perform a medical screening exam before we can tell them to leave.