the 100% directionless thread

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Wdym have fun with that? Not risking an unnecessary crash (are there necessary ones) because we just can't go on safely?
Being at work was what I was talking about. At work if it gets bad with a long transport we can pull over on the way back and nap for a few to get energy back. We also can switch drivers since we are both medics if needed too.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It’s a form of disconnecting from any sort of change or challenge. I don’t really think it’s anything other than avoidance of ones own fears and beliefs.
Whatever you say, bud. I don’t even know who you are.

What I do know is the guy is a friend of mine. Kind enough to reach out to me in private—we’ll leave it at that.

I do remember a time when people actually used the introductory thread. Not just assumed they were some sort of vested provider. Either way, cheers. You do you.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Whatever you say, bud. I don’t even know who you are.

What I do know is the guy is a friend of mine. Kind enough to reach out to me in private—we’ll leave it at that.

I do remember a time when people actually used the introductory thread. Not just assumed they were some sort of vested provider. Either way, cheers. You do you.

I'm in agreement. Sometimes the most civil thing to do is to walk away from the table. When social presence becomes a chore or too much strain, you are NOT obligated to stick around. You owe them nothing. Sometimes it's better to say goodbye to what you knew before you curse what you no longer recognize

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
@DragonClaw Personally, I would do it. You're a baby EMT, and I think now is the time to try different things out (different area, new people, different system, 911 experience) rather than stay where you are comfortable. It'll be much harder to leave if you are where you are for years, maybe getting paid more than 911, but now taking a paycut to go to 911 or afraid to leave friends or a company you know. There are people I know who at these BLS IFT companies for years, like over a decade, making about the same as starting pay as our 911 EMTs or maybe slightly more. They don't want to leave because they are comfortable, won't make much more starting, or will take a paycut leaving. I feel like they are stuck. It's better/easier to take risks and experiment while you're still new and not quite settled.

Firefighters

It frustrates me that only fire departments have Autopulse or Lucas in my area. One, they have one or two more people (one of the cities I work in has four firefighters on every Engine). I feel like most firefighters in my area are the worst when it comes to codes. Oooph. My dream code would be me, my EMT, a Lucas or Autopulse doing compressions, and then a ventilator. That would be sick.

Last edited:

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
@DragonClaw Personally, I would do it. You're a baby EMT, and I think now is the time to try different things out (different area, new people, different system, 911 experience) rather than stay where you are comfortable. It'll be much harder to leave if you are where you are for years, maybe getting paid more than 911, but now taking a paycut to go to 911 or afraid to leave friends or a company you know. There are people I know who at these BLS IFT companies for years, like over a decade, making about the same as starting pay as our 911 EMTs or maybe slightly more. They don't want to leave because they are comfortable, won't make much more starting, or will take a paycut leaving. I feel like they are stuck. It's better/easier to take risks and experiment while you're still new and not quite settled.

Firefighters

A baby EMT 👶 lol. Funny, but true. I'm not even a year in. Haha.

Yeah honestly... like.... these "I've been BLS IFT for 10 years I'm basically a combat medic" or just complacent types kinda are cringe. I'm not saying it's wrong to feel happy in your job but I can't stand still. I want to keep learning and getting new skills and BLS isn't that tough to learn. It takes some polishing and bedside manner but the concept is pretty... basic. Pun intended.

I've been thinking about med school a lot. But ambulance doctor isn't a thing and even though our trucks are crappy and old ... ambulances never get old. Yes I say this now and yes I'll come back later and see if I feel the same then.

The only thing is that I've got an apartment lease and it's sucky to be trapped like this. But it's also my nest and I lord over it how I please. Pros and cons.

I'm keeping close eyes and ears on this 911 contract with cypress creek. Whoever gets that contract will probably be where I go for a bit.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Also, I just realized all this mention of them I probably sound like a vulture. Is it wrong to see this as a potential opportunity?

I applied with them before and they had me do a physical and interview but said it was lack of experience why I was not hired. No ill will. I'd planned on applying again once they were opening paid positions.

In no way am I happy that the good people there are suffering through this and my tax dollars are bring wasted.

In case it looks like that I'm dancing on a grave as it were, or peeing on it.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I am sure you've seen my posts regarding looking at flight paramedic jobs. I get paid well at my 9-1-1 job, live close to it, know the people there, and know the system very well. I'm comfortable. Honestly, the smartest thing would be for me to keep working here until I stop being paramedic. I really want to grow and there is a flight job that I think I can apply to. It's 2-3 hours away from me! Also it likely pays about half of what I am making right now. I've never been a flight medic before, don't have CCT experience as a paramedic, and I am afraid... I really want to do it. The main thing stopping me from applying is the COVID thing has made it hard for me to get any of the certifications (NRP and ATLS). They just require it before third ride I think it says so I am guessing I could probably still technically apply for it. I am not sure. But yeh, I keep trying to psych myself out and apply for it even though I would take a major pay cut, lol. I am thankful that some of the members have given me insight to it. I just gotta apply. Who knows if they would consider me qualified.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I am sure you've seen my posts regarding looking at flight paramedic jobs. I get paid well at my 9-1-1 job, live close to it, know the people there, and know the system very well. I'm comfortable. Honestly, the smartest thing would be for me to keep working here until I stop being paramedic. I really want to grow and there is a flight job that I think I can apply to. It's 2-3 hours away from me! Also it likely pays about half of what I am making right now. I've never been a flight medic before, don't have CCT experience as a paramedic, and I am afraid... I really want to do it. The main thing stopping me from applying is the COVID thing has made it hard for me to get any of the certifications (NRP and ATLS). They just require it before third ride I think it says so I am guessing I could probably still technically apply for it. I am not sure. But yeh, I keep trying to psych myself out and apply for it even though I would take a major pay cut, lol. I am thankful that some of the members have given me insight to it. I just gotta apply. Who knows if they would consider me qualified.

I'm afraid of heights but I plan on getting some flight experience.

That's far ahead of me though. I have never even given a medication aside from oxygen. Isn't that sad? I've never done any interventions.

I worked a code once because there was an opportunity and I stepped up. Not because that's regular job stuff.

I noticed an abnormal rhythm on my pt who was still on tele and the nurse was surprised. It wasn't anything life threatening but she didn't know about it. I wasn't able to identify it besides a slightly wide QRS.

I do not pretend to know leads and professionally diagnose them but I'm not afraid to ask.

I just feel like a fake EMT.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I'm afraid of heights but I plan on getting some flight experience.

That's far ahead of me though. I have never even given a medication aside from oxygen. Isn't that sad? I've never done any interventions.

I worked a code once because there was an opportunity and I stepped up. Not because that's regular job stuff.

I noticed an abnormal rhythm on my pt who was still on tele and the nurse was surprised. It wasn't anything life threatening but she didn't know about it. I wasn't able to identify it besides a slightly wide QRS.

I do not pretend to know leads and professionally diagnose them but I'm not afraid to ask.

I just feel like a fake EMT.
You're an EMT. EMTs can't do that much (no offense to our EMTs here). You can do the important stuff like compressions and ventilations. It's OK. That's not being a fake EMT at all.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You're an EMT. EMTs can't do that much (no offense to our EMTs here). You can do the important stuff like compressions and ventilations. It's OK. That's not being a fake EMT at all.

Basic Lifting Services (TM) was not offended.

Yeah and the only code I worked was in hospital. There were 4 drs in the room telling everyone what to do.

Compared to other EMTs that run 911. They've got loads of experience on me. A basic from NY was telling me how NY EMTs would eat us alive in skill and knowledge and I 100% believe it.

It's just that awkward moment when "Oh you're an EMT, so you can help me if I get hurt?"....

Well yes but no.

Do you need to be scooted up in the bed? Is this all of your belongings? Please don't take the seatbelt off. No you can't eat in the ambulance.

I have never run hot or had a real emergency. And maybe that's not what makes someone a good provider or skilled by it feels like I'm a square and not well rounded.

Attachments

• 104097523_4584900514869271_6725417444612888700_n.jpg
    104097523_4584900514869271_6725417444612888700_n.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 78

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
No one cares about an experienced EMT’s opinion, we eat them alive simply for entertainment and to hear the bones crunch. Listening to them tell each other little stories in the night and huddle under their little protocols and sayings simply hightens the anticipation as we decide which one to eviserate.
You’re about to start medic school, my advice would be to avoid changing too much away from your current employer until that is done with and over.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Man this is just the month for gsw's and impending arrests that I can't stop. Only 2 more days until my weekend.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been thinking about med school a lot. But ambulance doctor isn't a thing and even though our trucks are crappy and old ... ambulances never get old. Yes I say this now and yes I'll come back later and see if I feel the same then.
Ambulance doctor is certainly a possible thing, but you don't seem them because it is the opposite and does in fact get old. Going to med school is going to be quite a rough journey.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
It was smart of my brother and SIL to teach my nephew to ask for help. An adorable little "halp halp halp halp" is so much more pleasant than a screech of frustration.