the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Y'all aren't making me not want to do this. Just to be more prepared should it happen.

Not sure anyone is trying to convince you of anything however for what it's worth eagerly seeking to be involved in a pandemic comes off as a sign of immaturity to most. Be prepared, be willing, but do not desire it.

I put a lot of time and effort into training for Ebola patients that I never saw. No shame is saying I never had to step into that situation.

And keep in mind there is no emergency in a pandemic. People may not get optimal medical care, and some will die because of it.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
For the first time in 10 years, Ive had to pay for CE hours. Not due to Covid,but a silly state they gave me a 14 month cert but required the same 100 hours of the normal 4 year cert.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Lately when I go look at available platelet donation appointments on the Red Cross blood donor app it's slim pickings for open slots. Guess people want to help in time of crisis.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I put in for the second part of my FMLA a couple of months ago to align with the kids’ Spring Break from school.

It didn’t quite pan out as planned, but judging by the all around vibe at work, as well as co-workers words directly, they seemed somewhat envious it inadvertently “worked out” for me this way.

My hat certainly does go off to the people on the front lines. And I don’t think this and 9/11 are quite comparable. That united a nation, this? Eh, definitely not our strongest unified moment.

I do remember Katrina being the first big AMR deployment (possibly pre-FEMA contract IIRC). I didn’t make it out to that one, and it didn’t sound like much was missed from those that came back from that deployment.

Anyways, please stay safe all.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
we have an AMR crew here. I don't think most will stay long as its basic scut work. no heroics.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I love the statement that there is no emergency in a pandemic.

We're wearing full PPE for every call. It takes time to get on your stuff when you pull up in front of a house. We don't hurry.
There is no emergency in a pandemic.

Climbing a couple of flights of stairs with ALS gear and a stairchair can be a bit difficult. We take our time.

When we work an arrest we slow down and make sure we follow a strict plan. Patient covered with a plastic drape. The crew in full PPE and carefully watched for errors when donning. VL as the primary airway management tool. Minimizing any aerosol-generating process.

This is the time where there is no leeway to be lazy and complacent. Be diligent about following the steps when donning and doffing PPE and manage patients following the steps outlined in your operational guidance.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I put in for the second part of my FMLA a couple of months ago to align with the kids’ Spring Break from school.

It didn’t quite pan out as planned, but judging by the all around vibe at work, as well as co-workers words directly, they seemed somewhat envious it inadvertently “worked out” for me this way.

My hat certainly does go off to the people on the front lines. And I don’t think this and 9/11 are quite comparable. That united a nation, this? Eh, definitely not our strongest unified moment.

I do remember Katrina being the first big AMR deployment (possibly pre-FEMA contract IIRC). I didn’t make it out to that one, and it didn’t sound like much was missed from those that came back from that deployment.

Anyways, please stay safe all.

Ventura Co fires deployment was nothing to write home about either. I signed up for that one for kicks & giggles, later on wishing I wouldna done so. Endless standbys, “hurry up and wait”, unsanitary conditions, I already been through this kind of crap decades ago (and am not missing it the slightest bit). The most productive thing, by far, was an evac of a few SNFs.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I had to do CPR in full PPE... Almost passed out from the hypercapnia and overheating. 0/10, would not recommend

Been there done that 100% agree.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Y'all say that but if you were in full suit and someone needed CPR again, would you really not? Doubt it

Am I not going to do CPR on a patient, when it is clinically appropriate, just because i am in full PPE? No

In regards to a COVID-19 it is a risk vs benefit. Increased risk of aerosolization during CPR, increased risk of PPE failure, and increased risk of physical exhaustion or injury for likely minimal or no benefit. Chest compressions are not going to fix anything that the maximal ventilator and vasopressor support is not.

If this was not in transport and a couple minutes from landing at a facility with advanced treatment options then I think it would be reasonable to defer CPR all together.

At the end of it all i was physically exhausted with PPE in tatters after doing a high risk intervention in an enclosed space for a patient with an exceedingly high mortality....for what?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Am I not going to do CPR on a patient, when it is clinically appropriate, just because i am in full PPE? No

In regards to a COVID-19 it is a risk vs benefit. Increased risk of aerosolization during CPR, increased risk of PPE failure, and increased risk of physical exhaustion or injury for likely minimal or no benefit. Chest compressions are not going to fix anything that the maximal ventilator and vasopressor support is not.

If this was not in transport and a couple minutes from landing at a facility with advanced treatment options then I think it would be reasonable to defer CPR all together.

At the end of it all i was physically exhausted with PPE in tatters after doing a high risk intervention in an enclosed space for a patient with an exceedingly high mortality....for what?

Needing it meaning all the variables are factored in and the only thing left for the crew to do would be to act.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Needing it meaning all the variables are factored in and the only thing left for the crew to do would be to act.
A Covid patient on a ventilator and pressors that has arrested is the 2020 definition of futile. The risk is not worth the reward.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
A Covid patient on a ventilator and pressors that has arrested is the 2020 definition of futile. The risk is not worth the reward.

I didn't stipulate there pt had to be a COVID pt.

Y'all sure are putting a lot of work into reasoning why CPR sure is evil in full gear

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It’s not that simple of a decision when you are dealing with a patient who is already under CCT care.

Sure if you are responding to a 911 call and you have a possible COVID patient who codes then work them up. When that patient is already on many different vasopressors and a ventilator and then codes, there isn’t much that can be done at all.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I didn't stipulate there pt had to be a COVID pt.

Y'all sure are putting a lot of work into reasoning why CPR sure is evil in full gear
Have you done CPR? Have you work full PPE? Have you done CPR while wearing full PPE? Have you done CPR while wearing full PPE inside of an extremely confined space? Have you done all of the above with a patient who you know is not going to survive?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Have you done CPR? Have you work full PPE? Have you done CPR while wearing full PPE? Have you done CPR while wearing full PPE inside of an extremely confined space? Have you done all of the above with a patient who you know is not going to survive?

I have done CPR with some PPE. Gown, gloves, mask. Wasn't super confined but I was shoulder to shoulder with like a dozen people. So, a little confined. And the guy was down like an hour so chances weren't good, no.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

Ofc not. She’s still in the mindset of CPR “saving the patient” because it’s the most radical intervention she’s legally allowed to do, but hasn’t done enough of yet since she doesn’t work a 911 response. Once she work a code a few times, she’ll learn that even without PPE it’s a sysiphean task in most cases.