the 100% directionless thread

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Out where im at, we have half of our requestors channels programmed in vhf. For the other half we use 800 mutual aid.

Ive never cared much to learn any more about radios other than we have waaaaay more coverage with the 800.

lmichelle09

Forum Ride Along
The interview today went well, they wanted to know my size/measurements for uniform and how soon I could start.

I have one last interview with another company in Monday and then I think I'll decide after they've let me know.

I hope this is it
Where did you interview at?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well the ol 30-06 got the job done on a little doe tonight. Adding a little diversity to the freezer now.
Was this in potato land? And I've asked around and a lot of my Hunter friends have said they have had issues finding good dear this year.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Was this in potato land? And I've asked around and a lot of my Hunter friends have said they have had issues finding good dear this year.
No, this was a South Carolina whitetail. Although we saw a ton of mulie does on one of our last days. We were pointed to one area that we went and glassed where we saw a bunch only to find out it was just a short ways out of our unit. The snow that came in a few days back pushed us out of Idaho after that day.

People didn't seem to be having too much of an issue around Stanley. We were like your friends though, couldn't find a damn thing for so long and what we did find we couldn't hunt.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh and should you find yourself in Stanley, that village inn restaurant has some ****ing phenomenal food. Western burger...country fried steak....corn bread...all very good. A bit pricey, but they don't disappoint.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The snow that came in a few days back pushed us out of Idaho after that day.

Thats cute...

1571889291535.png

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Oh and should you find yourself in Stanley, that village inn restaurant has some ****ing phenomenal food. Western burger...country fried steak....corn bread...all very good. A bit pricey, but they don't disappoint.
One of my co-workers lives in Stanley. I wouldn't mind moving there to live. It is a nice little place.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I finally had an opportunity to draw my bow yesterday (ive seen a lot of deer but I dont draw unless its something I want to shoot, for this very reason).

3 does and I didnt see the third, she busted me drawing and they bolted, alerting every deer in the county on the way.

I had an urge to #2 for a while so I went home early.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That's just a dusting, I see more ground than snow. Try again.

Ha... just a dusting... that hillside is like a 60 degree slope... flat ground there was a foot and a half.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't work nights. But here's AMR offering double pay to work an extra car. So, I worked my first overnight in three years last night. I wish I was a night person, it's so much easier, even in the snow.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Man...
So we had a cardiac arrest last night. Call came in as a syncope, though MDT notes said it was a fall... Anyways, get to a private residence, fairly nice, well kept, approx 1800ish, find 80 yo M laying left lateral on ground in the bathroom, shorts around his ankles, no obvious soiling himself (I never looked in the toilet heh). Wife said she called as soon as he went down (no CPR attempt PTA), she claimed downtime of approx 5 min (called immediately plus our response time)

Eyes open, but completely unresponsive to verbal or painful stimuli, I coulda swore I saw him breath... but I failed to recognize he was starting to turn blue in the face, my Capt saw that and we dragged him out into the living room, aaand he was agonal breathing with no pulse.

We started high performance CPR, got our AED on him, OPA and BVM, no suction required, no shocks given, we did maybe 5-7 rounds if CPR before EMS arrived. As they got on scene we had pulses back, irregularly irregular heart rate, but Brady, the medics started to pace him, palp'd BP was 100/P, still agonal, respirations provided by BVM, intubated.

Pt lost pulses again, CPR restarted.
Medic student third rider EMS had running the call delivered a manual shock (even though Pt was in PEA?) But we got ROSC again after only a couple rounds, BP still 100/P.

Pt loaded into ambulance, no pulse again, CPR started again while medics started their line and pushed Epi. One round of CPR and ROSC again. Started transport, maybe 10 min drive to hospital, once again lost pulses, CPR restarted, again, enroute, second Epi given in this time frame, ROSC again by the time we pulled into the hospital. I'm pretty sure he was starting to groan when we were arriving, but no obvious regaining of consciousness.

Haven't got any follow up yet though (just happened last night) But our AED can show a rhythm (I think it's just Lead II), and when we downloaded the data after it showed a distinct rhythm throught while ours was attached at least (medics replaced it with their monitor when they arrived). Only history I can remember was diabetes (BSG was 280 something) and recent travel to Mexico.

Considering how he was found, my personal theory is he vagal maneuver'd himself on the toilet, and some underlying condition kept the heart weak enough to be in arrest, but he kept coming in and out of ROSC and arrest...

Of course our BP cuff went AWOL after the call, we called the EMS unit afterwards and they didn't have it either. -_-

Aaaaannnnnddd I got chewed out a little by my Capt this morning for taking too long to recognize what was going on. And I cant argue with him, I should totally have cought the blue tinge (it was obvious after it was pointed out) in his face. Man, while I was def getting burned out at McCormick running 10 calls a shift, now I'm barely running 10 medicals a month, I definitely feel like I'm atrophying. Def feel like I might need to put in a transfer to a busier station, its getting old still making these rookie mistakes (and getting chewed for them to boot everytime)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't work nights. But here's AMR offering double pay to work an extra car. So, I worked my first overnight in three years last night. I wish I was a night person, it's so much easier, even in the snow.
I will never go back to days if I can help it while I work where I do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had just taught my EMT students how to check a blood sugar, and on a whim, while I was putting the bin of glucometers away, I decided to check my own sugar.

BEEP! 140.

hmm. That can't be right. Let me try another meter.

BEEP! 138.

Weird. I haven't eaten in like 6 hours.

So, I went to Walmart and bought a glucometer and checked my sugar after fasting all night. I ate dinner around 5, had a burger and fries and water at Red Robin with the family. Nothing crazy. Got up this morning around 7...

BEEP! 114.

Oh snap. I think I'm prediabetic.

No more messing around, I'm going back to Keto for real and gonna see if I can get my sugar down before I say anything to my doc and he wants an A1c.

Getting old is no fun. And it happened before I realized it.