the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Eyes open, but completely unresponsive to verbal or painful stimuli, I coulda swore I saw him breath... but I failed to recognize he was starting to turn blue in the face, my Capt saw that and we dragged him out into the living room, aaand he was agonal breathing with no pulse.

Every time I hear about agonal breathing fooling people, I think of this video. I'm sure I've posted it before but I'm impressed every time I rewatch it:

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Every time I hear about agonal breathing fooling people, I think of this video. I'm sure I've posted it before but I'm impressed every time I rewatch it:

Wow. What a horrifying video to watch. Bro, she isn't going to tell you her name, she is obviously in extremis simply based on her physical appearance.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Wow. What a horrifying video to watch. Bro, she isn't going to tell you her name, she is obviously in extremis simply based on her physical appearance.

Yeah, I was like, why does she keep asking? She's obviously not able to do like anything. This wasn't that long ago, relatively speaking. Things sure change. Hopefully.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, we are officially getting rid of all 1.5" hose on our trucks, replacing it with 1.75". That's 2x 200ft preconnects, 2x 100ft bundles, and 1x 100ft preconnect on the front bumper. Nov 1st we get rid of all that 1.5" for the 1.75".
Also, apparently for...reasons?... we are relinquishing almost 1000ft of 2.5" hose. Besides our 3x 50ft high rise bundles, we're only supposed to have 15x lengths (50ft ea) in our two beds (vs 24 lengths right now). Why? Idk, why the odd number? Idk either... but that's what the White Shirts want, so.... (we'll still have 800ft of 4" LDH supply, and 450ft of 1" brush lines as well).

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I had just taught my EMT students how to check a blood sugar, and on a whim, while I was putting the bin of glucometers away, I decided to check my own sugar.

BEEP! 140.

hmm. That can't be right. Let me try another meter.

BEEP! 138.

Weird. I haven't eaten in like 6 hours.

So, I went to Walmart and bought a glucometer and checked my sugar after fasting all night. I ate dinner around 5, had a burger and fries and water at Red Robin with the family. Nothing crazy. Got up this morning around 7...

BEEP! 114.

Oh snap. I think I'm prediabetic.

No more messing around, I'm going back to Keto for real and gonna see if I can get my sugar down before I say anything to my doc and he wants an A1c.

Getting old is no fun. And it happened before I realized it.

wanna trade for slightly elevated liver enzymes and an as-yet unexplained decrease in pulmonary function?

I’m really worried about my grandpa. He evacuated and is safe, but his house is in Mark West/Wikiup and the Kincade Fire is not getting any smaller. He made it through Tubbs in ‘17 but this looks just as bad. Best wishes to everyone up there fighting these fires and protecting Santa Rosa and Sonoma.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well, we are officially getting rid of all 1.5" hose on our trucks, replacing it with 1.75". That's 2x 200ft preconnects, 2x 100ft bundles, and 1x 100ft preconnect on the front bumper. Nov 1st we get rid of all that 1.5" for the 1.75".
Also, apparently for...reasons?... we are relinquishing almost 1000ft of 2.5" hose. Besides our 3x 50ft high rise bundles, we're only supposed to have 15x lengths (50ft ea) in our two beds (vs 24 lengths right now). Why? Idk, why the odd number? Idk either... but that's what the White Shirts want, so.... (we'll still have 800ft of 4" LDH supply, and 450ft of 1" brush lines as well).

We run x3 200 ft. 1.75 hose loads: 1 metro pack (100 ft. flat w/ 100 ft bundle on top), 200 ft. flatload, and a 200 ft. minute man.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much all our hoses are flat loads. Rear bed 2.5s and 4" are regular flat load (layered across horizontally), our preconnects on the transverse bed are a flat load where we stack ea length vertically, then at the coupling stack the next length next to it (4 lengths for 200ft... think a Minuteman upside down sothe connection is on the bottom and the nozzle on top) (whenever I pursue the textbook about different hoseloads, I have yet to see one that shows this, so I'm pretty sure it's just an inhouse thing that outside agencies dont do). Only the front bumper line is not a flat load, sometimes. Some companies (like mine) still use a flat load, but a lot (like the engine I'm relieving on today) like donut rolls for the front bumper.

Our 2.5" high rise bundles are Denver style, our 1.5" (well soon 1.75") bundles are Metro style, and our 1" Brush bundles are what we call a split bundle, similar to a Minuteman but half the hose is split so you end up having two layers side by side (it is designed to carry on your shoulder and play out like a Minuteman though).

CALEMT

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I didn't know there were any modern career departments running 1.5" interior lines, you gain a lot a flow with almost no detriment by going up to 1.75". The only 1.5" we ever had were single jacket line on the type 3s and 6s.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
C65464C2-87A2-4BF0-9AD1-9BB3B844F704.jpeg

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Pretty much all our hoses are flat loads. Rear bed 2.5s and 4" are regular flat load (layered across horizontally), our preconnects on the transverse bed are a flat load where we stack ea length vertically, then at the coupling stack the next length next to it (4 lengths for 200ft... think a Minuteman upside down sothe connection is on the bottom and the nozzle on top) (whenever I pursue the textbook about different hoseloads, I have yet to see one that shows this, so I'm pretty sure it's just an inhouse thing that outside agencies dont do). Only the front bumper line is not a flat load, sometimes. Some companies (like mine) still use a flat load, but a lot (like the engine I'm relieving on today) like donut rolls for the front bumper.

Our 2.5" high rise bundles are Denver style, our 1.5" (well soon 1.75") bundles are Metro style, and our 1" Brush bundles are what we call a split bundle, similar to a Minuteman but half the hose is split so you end up having two layers side by side (it is designed to carry on your shoulder and play out like a Minuteman though).
You can vary loads from station to station? That seems like a recipe for confusion. We flat load all our hose, except 2 apt. bundles for attaching to our 2.5 crosslay, one bundle has a wye.

CALEMT

You’re both minutemen, nozzles. There, settled it.

#KeepItEMSRelated.

In the words of a Rage Against the Machine song...

#I'mfinallyrelevant
#Justifyingmyexistenceonhere
#Keepingthedirectionlessthreaddirectionless

CALEMT

That's what I'm saying, a Minuteman has the nozzle on the bottom, but our Dept standard preconnect is nozzle on top, kind of like a reverse Minuteman

Thats odd.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You can vary loads from station to station? That seems like a recipe for confusion. We flat load all our hose, except 2 apt. bundles for attaching to our 2.5 crosslay, one bundle has a wye.
Well the front bumper is the only one that varies, and only between those two loads (flat vs donut) so it's not too bad. The rest of the hose beds and bundles are all packed up the same.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol, so the station I'm relieving at today, EMS has their own standalone station that shares the parking lot, and just as they were pulling back into said parking, the tones drop for a medical call for our Ladder.... so EMS pulls in, does a 3 point turn and just drives right back out... didn't even get their garage door open all the way.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol, so the station I'm relieving at today, EMS has their own standalone station that shares the parking lot, and just as they were pulling back into said parking, the tones drop for a medical call for our Ladder.... so EMS pulls in, does a 3 point turn and just drives right back out... didn't even get their garage door open all the way.
I think the one reason I don't mind that I don't have a station is that I'd never see it. On the other hand if we had better staffing and retention, we probably could do it.