the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did something to one of my fingers today at jiu jitsu. It is now purple, a little sore, no pain, just kinda purple. Maybe a little swelling. Oh well.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
It's ECMO and Impella season. Makes for a long shift.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Did something to one of my fingers today at jiu jitsu. It is now purple, a little sore, no pain, just kinda purple. Maybe a little swelling. Oh well.
did you call 911 to have your injury evaluated? if not, make sure you call at 3am, so the nice paramedic can tell you if it's broken or not.

PotatoMedic

did you call 911 to have your injury evaluated? if not, make sure you call at 3am, so the nice paramedic can tell you if it's broken or not.
Yeah I was thinking of icing it today as it seems to be better (I think) but if not I was going to install pulse point and see when the crew gets back from a 2AM call, wait 30 minutes then call. And ask to go to the ER across town because the closer ones are mean to me.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I hear they have better sandwiches

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Yeah I was thinking of icing it today as it seems to be better (I think) but if not I was going to install pulse point and see when the crew gets back from a 2AM call, wait 30 minutes then call. And ask to go to the ER across town because the closer ones are mean to me.

Alternatively, walk into the ER anywhere between 1900 to 2100, so the admission can put your chief on the tracking board as “FINGER PAIN” and make the staff feel warm and sympathetic towards you.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@VFlutter, @Remi or any of the other former or current advanced providers on here:

Has anyone taken ASTNA’s TPATC? I’m looking at taking the online version which yields CC CE’s and is also offered at a discounted rate for IAFCCP members.

I’m looking for some feedback on its value. And yes, @Remi FCCS is also down the pipeline, but for now I am collecting FP-C CE.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
@VFlutter, @Remi or any of the other former or current advanced providers on here:

Has anyone taken ASTNA’s TPATC? I’m looking at taking the online version which yields CC CE’s and is also offered at a discounted rate for IAFCCP members.

I’m looking for some feedback on its value. And yes, @Remi FCCS is also down the pipeline, but for now I am collecting FP-C CE.
I took the old TNATC and it was pretty good, but that about 8 years ago.

PotatoMedic

I was just talking to my education person about TAPTC class that is online. He says all the content is great and worth it. But he still suggested the hybrid version because the skills lab is where he gets most of his learning from.

PotatoMedic

And just ran a call for a VAN negative LVO CVA. Just proves no screening assessment is perfect (even though some would say otherwise.)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Time for some sleep, then San Antonio bound followed by St. Louis a few days after that. Looking forward to not having to do things for a while and catching up with old friends.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
PT asked PD if there was a way they could field test their own dope so they could get high but not OD.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Top 5 sickest transports of my career last night. ECMO, IABP, A/V paced, 8 drips, open chest with Finochietto retractor still in the chest. Luckily it was via ground, sadly we were held over 5 hours to complete the run and chart :(

Sounds like my last ECMO flight. Open chest, ECMO, Impella, Epicardial pacer, etc. Was running out of room in the BK.

Really needed a Cordis but just put a 14g EJ in instead. Went from venous chatter to suckdown, VT, and no flow within 30 seconds. "Ecpella" can be tricky to manage.

Last edited:

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Sounds like my last ECMO flight. Open chest, ECMO, Impella, Epicardial pacer, etc. Was running out of room in the BK.

Really needed a Cordis but just put a 14g EJ in instead. Went from venous chatter to suckdown, VT, and no flow within 30 seconds. "Ecpella" can be tricky to manage.

Yeah I was so glad I was on a ground shift and they didn’t try to fly this lady because the sending has a remote LZ and is pretty close to our tertiary center. All that crap in a 135 just becomes a logistical nightmare and is more of a hassle then what it’s worth/the minimal time saved IMO. Luckily we have plenty of access. There wasn’t an available vein or artery that didn’t have garden hoses in it. Swan, two Cordis, fem A-line and venous MLC in the left and balloon in the right. She was wired for sound.

PotatoMedic

Well just messaged 2 Bear Air Rescue as to how they staff their helicopter. Them and intermountain lifeflight are some of my top choices for aero medical rescue. They do hoists!

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Well just messaged 2 Bear Air Rescue as to how they staff their helicopter. Them and intermountain lifeflight are some of my top choices for aero medical rescue. They do hoists!

Intermountain is a cool *** program. Good luck. I think 2 Bear Air is all volunteer isn't it?

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
We have a helicopter thing now. It's with King County Sherriff's chopper. Each shift has 2-3 helo qualified medics that will go out on rescues all over the state. They do hoists a lot. The newer young medics are really into it. I don't have any desire to go near it. I don't even like getting up on a ladder at my house anymore :)