the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Has anyone on here ever utilized the "superplug" BVM method on any peds patient/s? And if so, did it seem to work effectively?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Has anyone on here ever utilized the "superplug" BVM method on any peds patient/s? And if so, did it seem to work effectively?
I presume you mean 2 NPAs and an OPA? I have not, for lack of appropriate patient.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Seems like a lot of territory in the area of the face-holes occupied

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Sense of Impending Doom is such a weird phenomenon. You tend to hear "I'm gonna die" a lot and usually it is just being dramatic but when you hear that chilling honest fear. Had a bad feeling before the patient said it but vitals were surprisingly stable, given the traumatic injuries, before they went pulseless.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
"Officers advised pt did not appear to have a specific destination in mind but was directable after several bears were encountered."

Yes, this went into a PCR. #meowtains

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sense of Impending Doom is such a weird phenomenon. You tend to hear "I'm gonna die" a lot and usually it is just being dramatic but when you hear that chilling honest fear. Had a bad feeling before the patient said it but vitals were surprisingly stable, given the traumatic injuries, before they went pulseless.

That and legit air hunger. Scary stuff.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The onus is on the individual to prove that they will be an asset to the agency, not necessarily on the agency to give every applicant the benefit.

And how does an applicant do this when they are competing against equally talented/skilled/educated individuals who have champions in their corner cheering from inside the ring? Good old boy club...bringing in fresh outsiders, even unknown ones can really shake things up...for the better.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And how does an applicant do this when they are competing against equally talented/skilled/educated individuals who have champions in their corner cheering from inside the ring? Good old boy club...bringing in fresh outsiders, even unknown ones can really shake things up...for the better.

Well, that's the challenge of breaking into a competitive field. You don't always get the first job or two or three that you apply to. Again, it isn't the responsibility of an any agency to develop the career of an applicant they know little about.

I also have never bought into the "change just for the sake of change" mentality. That might make sense in some settings. But if you are already an objectively progressive agency with motivated employees who regularly present ideas for improvement, I see little gain in taking chances on unknown people just because they may bring fresh and valuable ideas.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So you are involved with the unicorn? Congrats and Well Done.

Keep refilling the applicant pool with known candidates and give the natural attrition cycle a few years or more...will you recognize the stagnation and lack of new ideas infusing or will it creep upon the organization silently, until one day all you see are the same old people, no one beating down the doors to get in all while saying...well, we always done it this way.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So you are involved with the unicorn? Congrats and Well Done.

Keep refilling the applicant pool with known candidates and give the natural attrition cycle a few years or more...will you recognize the stagnation and lack of new ideas infusing or will it creep upon the organization silently, until one day all you see are the same old people, no one beating down the doors to get in all while saying...well, we always done it this way.
I wouldn't call it a unicorn, just a place that has high standards, as well as protocols and training systems well ahead of anyplace else around and no shortage of qualified applicants. A place that doesn't buy into the "change just for the sake of change" fallacy.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Or the fallacy of what we have done is the best, will always work and no one really knows any different since outsiders cannot come in without being "in" with those who know. And typically, we refer people who think like us or act like us, right or wrong. So we will never know if we could be better, if we could be challenged unless we try...

:)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I try not to get political, as I don't like either party...but this new accusation against Kavanaugh...like there's 2 possibilities, a) he really is (was?) a serial sexual harasser....or the Dems are so desperate to block his nomination they're making this up..aaannnd I dont know which possibility is worse... either of those two...or that both scenarios are realistic...

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I try not to get political, as I don't like either party...but this new accusation against Kavanaugh...like there's 2 possibilities, a) he really is (was?) a serial sexual harasser....or the Dems are so desperate to block his nomination they're making this up..aaannnd I dont know which possibility is worse... either of those two...or that both scenarios are realistic...

Accusing a runner-up (or any public figure for that matter) of sexual harassment, is the easiest way to throw in a monkey wrench. It is one of the oldest tricks in the book. And no matter what the outcome is, it’s the kind of **** that tarnishes one’s reputation and stays there forever.

No matter who holds the office, the agenda is always other people’s money. The only difference between the two is that the Republicans are better at collecting/hoarding it, and the Democrats excel at spending it. There are some particularities, such as Reps in general being hypocrites or Dems in general being hysterical whiners, but that’s beside the point.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
My biggest issue is that if you are legitimately concerned about a crime committed against you then you report it to the police, not write a letter to your policitical representative. You lose all legitimacy and make it look solely like a political character assassination.

Also I get the reason many woman do not come forward and report sexual assault however waiting 35yrs to report a crime that happened when both parties were under the age of 18 is almost asenine.