the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had a rough day today during training...I did terrible behind the wheel! ! I hope I don't get fired :(

Keep your chin up. Code driving isn't as easy as people think. Keep on practicing and you'll get it. Remember, only drive as fast as you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable opposing at certain intersections then don't, shut down and advise dispatch you're blocked in and light back up when it's safe to do so. We don't do anyone any good if we create another call on our way to the original whether we're involved or if its a wake accident.

You got this.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure if this deserves its own thread but....what's the purpose of the 10lb sandbag placed on a cath lab patients groin? I'd ask my CCTRN but he's in, shall I say not very pleasant mood at the moment lol

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Not sure if this deserves its own thread but....what's the purpose of the 10lb sandbag placed on a cath lab patients groin? I'd ask my CCTRN but he's in, shall I say not very pleasant mood at the moment lol

Holds pressure over the site to prevent excess bleeding/bruising.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

To hold direct pressure at the site used for cardiac access?

JPINFV

Gadfly
...because not every hospital has an extra medical student to hold pressure?

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Keep your chin up. Code driving isn't as easy as people think. Keep on practicing and you'll get it. Remember, only drive as fast as you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable opposing at certain intersections then don't, shut down and advise dispatch you're blocked in and light back up when it's safe to do so. We don't do anyone any good if we create another call on our way to the original whether we're involved or if its a wake accident.

You got this.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I needed to hear that Robb! I mean, is it normal that using only mirrors to drive and reverse is challenging? Or am I the only one that sucks at it? lol

Sorry for complaining...I was just surprised at how difficult it was and how bad I did.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Thank you thank you thank you!! I needed to hear that Robb! I mean, is it normal that using only mirrors to drive and reverse is challenging? Or am I the only one that sucks at it? lol

Sorry for complaining...I was just surprised at how difficult it was and how bad I did.

It just takes getting used to. Like anything else, there is a learning curve. Especially if you've come from small vehicles and/or don't frequently back into spots, backing a Type I or III ambulance into a garage for the first time with your FTO watching is an experience. You'll get a handle on it eventually.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
It just takes getting used to. Like anything else, there is a learning curve. Especially if you've come from small vehicles and/or don't frequently back into spots, backing a Type I or III ambulance into a garage for the first time with your FTO watching is an experience. You'll get a handle on it eventually.

Thank you Chaz90! That's very encouraging to hear. I'll keep practicing and trying my best. :)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure if I should be impressed or ashamed, but I just carried on an hour long fart joke with my nine year old daughter, and it's just about been the most fun and laughing I've had in my entire life.

My wife thinks I'm horrible and I'm going to ruin my daughter, but my daughter and I just had more fun than Disneyland. :p

She is now lying in bed singing about how much she loves daddy. :beerchug:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks guys, I tried googling it, but the first link I clicked on was an allnurses.com thread...which sent me running back here lol. Fortunately I found another link after that explained cardiac cath a lot better lol

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's sure slow here tonight.

Really it is, 2 cancels in 10 hours.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's sure slow here tonight.

Really it is, 2 cancels in 10 hours.

I got zero calls on Monday. Tuesday made up for that with 10 calls split between two students.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a rough day today during training...I did terrible behind the wheel! ! I hope I don't get fired :(

Don't feel so bad... My current partner almost put the rig through a dumpster, and a chain link fence during our EVOC class... With the instructor in the passenger seat next to him.

He's still employed, and has gotten much better at driving an ambulance.

Last edited by a moderator: