the 100% directionless thread

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. In a matter of 4 hours my county has had a total of 4 MCIs. 1 with 6 patients (3 airships had to be called for that one). The second one with 7 patients. The third one with 7 patients. The fourth one with 19 patients.

And a new MCI just got declared. So that makes 5 within four hours. Wow, we are going to have no beds open at any hospital.

We just drove through all that craziness....were heading to chino.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Sounds like you all are earning your money. Please be careful and be safe.

While you guys are out dodging cars and saving lives I'm on my way to hand out salted peanuts and then spend the day in LA :) Trader joes here I come.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like you all are earning your money. Please be careful and be safe.

While you guys are out dodging cars and saving lives I'm on my way to hand out salted peanuts and then spend the day in LA :) Trader joes here I come.

Driving home through the slush, ice, and snow was not fun. I'm just happy my jeep has 4WD :p

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I've been away...

This is one of the hardest times of my life right now. My adopted Mom is dying of cancer (lung, liver, brain, spinal). I flew out to OH last week to be here for my sisters and dad and essentially say goodbye.

Its one thing to intently watch someone breath when they are your patient, an entirely different thing if that person is your family. Holy crap this is hard. I am no stranger to death (both my biological parents are gone and most of my biological family), but this is just hell.

At this point she's barely awake, existing in a drug-induced haze of Roxanol, as she can't swallow her Morphine pills and Xanax, so the dosage of Rox has gone way up. She's been on 4 LPM O2 for at least a week (NC). There's a large tumor sitting on (or near, not entirely sure) her larynx and she can't talk anymore. I really hope this doesn't last much longer for her sake, and ours; its heartbreaking.

Hospice was called in Monday. They had a social worker stop by, the home health aide has been here twice, and a reflexologist came to work on her feet, which was cool. She was still lucid for that and really enjoyed it. She refused the aide on Friday. Now, who knows...

Anyway, I thought I'd pop in and say hi if anyone noticed my absence. Lots to read...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm so sorry you're going through that. It must be so difficult.

However please know that I have never met a bad hospice nurse. They're all amazing and I admire them. You can take comfort in the fact she will be taken care of and she is being kept comfortable in her final days.

I hope for peace for both of you.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Im so sorry. Stay strong and dont keep it all in.

We are all here for ya.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I'm so sorry you're going through that. It must be so difficult.

However please know that I have never met a bad hospice nurse. They're all amazing and I admire them. You can take comfort in the fact she will be taken care of and she is being kept comfortable in her final days.

I hope for peace for both of you.

thanks. Shes staying @ home. Dad's a RN (a director of emerg services actually) and the nurse stops by...once a week?

But thank you. :)

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Im so sorry. Stay strong and dont keep it all in.

We are all here for ya.

thank you. I also hope that works keeps being cool about this. I'm trying to decide when to go back and I just don't know. I work sat-tues so going back Mon & working Tues then having 3 days off is almost stupid, but I don't know what to do.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I like that I just had a 10 minute conversation with the ER doc...about GoGurt

Sasha

Forum Chief
Gross.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I like that I just had a 10 minute conversation with the ER doc...about GoGurt

GoGurt is amazing.

In other news make sure to find out what your post CVA pt last ate before proclaiming he's vomiting coffee ground looking emesis...it might end up jus being chocolate cake ;)

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Waaaalking Deeeeaaaddd Ffffiinnnaallleeee

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Scheduled end of shift is 2000. Another crew needs our ambulance at 1900. So we get to get cleared in early and do nothing for an hour. Overtime to sit on our butts not even in service haha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Zombies zombies zombies!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Never seen a colostomy bag before, today was my first and I'm scarred for life...

Dude was too lazy to dispose of them so he had 3+ weeks worth of used bags and fecal matter in garbage cans next to his bed. Furthermore we helped change his bag because the one he had on was full to the brim.

House smelled like a dead body mixed with poo, Ben-Gay and spoiled mayonnaise. I almost tossed my cookies in the guys house. We had to take turns going out side and breathing fresh air then holding our breath to go inside, it was that bad.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wait til you see what happens when you don't "burp" the colostomy bag when you change it.