the 100% directionless thread

I suspect descent rate policy is directly due to avoiding VRS.

I suspect descent rate policy is directly due to avoiding VRS.
Yes sir. VRS or settling with power. My company just hired a clinician (quit previous company) who was involved in a VRS incident that was recorded not too long ago.

Pretty much what Desert said. Landing into the wind and then pedal turn to orient the aircraft in the desired direction to keep the tail rotor out of the way.

Helicopters operate differently when close to the ground. Pilots are good at knowing how to fly in various situations

main-qimg-276bd264efb9a5b8a1e48e24f5edd31c-c

Sounds like you might be describing a fenestron
ibr-860598.jpg

I'm familiar with landing into a headwind, taking off into tailwind. (Tangent, not proof I know diddly squat about rotary wing aircraft)I was given the yoke of an experimental gyrocopter once. That was cool.

Actually, got a picture of the helo. Didn't really look at it and there was a tree in the way most of the time. I guess it's decent enough to use for identication.

Wait. I'm an idiot. I should have checked the local squawk app for what aircraft were birds were in the air. Too late.

The slow standard approach is a double edged sword. Reduces the risk of VRS but potentially make an engine failure non-recoverable. the height-velocity or "Dead man's curve"

That is an EC145

I'm familiar with landing into a headwind, taking off into tailwind. (Tangent, not proof I know diddly squat about rotary wing aircraft)I was given the yoke of an experimental gyrocopter once. That was cool.

Actually, got a picture of the helo. Didn't really look at it and there was a tree in the way most of the time. I guess it's decent enough to use for identication.

Wait. I'm an idiot. I should have checked the local squawk app for what aircraft were birds were in the air. Too late.

That is a EC145/H145.
We actually prefer to take off with a headwind as it helps with performance. Once we are up in the air a tailwind is always nice as it will increase our ground speed, sometimes by a lot.

RW typically lands and takes off into the wind. It provides the most lift while using the least power in both situations. Landing into the wind as I understand it, also removes the vortex ring from the equation.

RW typically lands and takes off into the wind. It provides the most lift while using the least power in both situations. Landing into the wind as I understand it, also removes the vortex ring from the equation.

Hmm, well for fixed wings is true though, right?

I always crashed the RC helicopter 😅

Truthfully, I'm not an aviation buff. I just work in a helicopter and try my best everyday to look like I know what im doing.

Ever had any major aviation failure or disaster? Declare an in flight emergency?

Since were on the subject anyone else see the video of the Mesa Crash the other day?

Since were on the subject anyone else see the video of the Mesa Crash the other day?
Didn’t even hear about it. The way it was spinning makes it look like a tail rotor issue.

Didn’t even hear about it. The way it was spinning makes it look like a tail rotor issue.
My first thoughts also. I saw some facebook comments that the tail rotor went through the roof of a building about a mile from the crash site.

What's the RPM/ velocity of a tail rotor?
I think the term is pretty damn fast. Depending on the helicopter the tail rotor spins 3-7 times faster than the main rotor.

Back