the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Hmm... so since they raised my rent to $1,600/mo starting next month, I've started browsing Zillow and whatnot for condos... and much to my surprise, an actual house, 1,00sq ft, 3 bed 2.5 bath house, pretty much in the same area I'm looking (only ads 5-10 min on my commute time...) for like $230,000

My first reaction was should I call the VA and get pre qualified today?? Second reaction is houses don't really sell that cheap here, what's wrong with it?!

Maybe I'll so a stealth drive by later lol

Sadly I doubt it'll still be available in the next few months when I'm ready to pull that trigger ...

This might be for houses in places you're going to get mugged at and your car stolen, but with the HUD program, you can get 50% off a house.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hmm... so since they raised my rent to $1,600/mo starting next month, I've started browsing Zillow and whatnot for condos... and much to my surprise, an actual house, 1,00sq ft, 3 bed 2.5 bath house, pretty much in the same area I'm looking (only ads 5-10 min on my commute time...) for like $230,000

My first reaction was should I call the VA and get pre qualified today?? Second reaction is houses don't really sell that cheap here, what's wrong with it?!

Maybe I'll so a stealth drive by later lol

Sadly I doubt it'll still be available in the next few months when I'm ready to pull that trigger ...
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that a $230k house will probably cost you way more than $1600/month when all is said and done. Principal & interest alone will probably be around $1100 on a 30 year mortgage, then you have to pay taxes, insurance, utilities, and maintenance & repairs. If it's a condo your maintenance costs will probably be practically nothing, but you'll have a monthly maintenance fee of at least a couple hundred bucks.

If you decide to get started all you have to do is get ahold of a bank that does VA mortgages. I've done several. USAA is pretty easy to deal with.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that a $230k house will probably cost you way more than $1600/month when all is said and done. Principal & interest alone will probably be around $1100 on a 30 year mortgage, then you have to pay taxes, insurance, utilities, and maintenance & repairs. If it's a condo your maintenance costs will probably be practically nothing, but you'll have a monthly maintenance fee of at least a couple hundred bucks.

If you decide to get started all you have to do is get ahold of a bank that does VA mortgages. I've done several. USAA is pretty easy to deal with.
Yeah, Zillow is estimating ~$1,400/month based on ~$1100 principal&interest, $187 mortgage insurance, $55 property taxes, $80 home insurance, no HOA fees.

Apparently it's been on the site for 40 days. So yeah, I'd be surprised if it's still available when I'm actually ready to go to the bank to be pre approved for a condo loan lol.

I suppose I could do that even today, but I kinda really wanna pay off my loan first, get a few more points on my credit score, maybe actually have something saved up for down payment or pay for movers or whatever other hidden costs jump out, etc etc... I'm thinking roughly ~6 moths maybe? Idk

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah, Zillow is estimating ~$1,400/month based on ~$1100 principal&interest, $187 mortgage insurance, $55 property taxes, $80 home insurance, no HOA fees.

Apparently it's been on the site for 40 days. So yeah, I'd be surprised if it's still available when I'm actually ready to go to the bank to be pre approved for a condo loan lol.

I suppose I could do that even today, but I kinda really wanna pay off my loan first, get a few more points on my credit score, maybe actually have something saved up for down payment or pay for movers or whatever other hidden costs jump out, etc etc... I'm thinking roughly ~6 moths maybe? Idk
If you are eligible for a VA loan you don't have to worry as much about having excellent credit. I'm pretty sure that with a VA guarantee, your credit score doesn't effect your interest rate nearly as much as it would with a conventional mortgage.

But yeah, you want to be in solid financial shape overall, for sure.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I also chime in- I just went through this, Navy federal has the lowest rates i've been able to find, and truthfully... coming from me... they have excellent customer service. @Jim37F

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
VA loans do require the home be in immediate livable condition though, so there’s that. Needs a certified VA appraisal.

RocketMedic

So I’m starting to build the application packets...looking for a move in November/December timeframe.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Any tech people out there? Running the social media for work. Have a Galaxy Note 10+ which takes awesome pictures and video. Thinking about getting a DJi OSMO 3 Gimble. Is it really worth it for getting better shots? Not that expensive. Note has a super steady video mode that works pretty well

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Any tech people out there? Running the social media for work. Have a Galaxy Note 10+ which takes awesome pictures and video. Thinking about getting a DJi OSMO 3 Gimble. Is it really worth it for getting better shots? Not that expensive. Note has a super steady video mode that works pretty well

I'm kinda techy. I've got the note 8. Is it just hobby photos?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Yes. 100% yes. The gimbal will change your video and stills.

SSwain

Forum Captain
In my off time, I coach a local high school trap shooting team. Last spring, we had the annual fun shoot. My son shoots on the team, and we decided to have a friendly competition. One of the parents was taking pictures of everything, and here I am in action.
I am only posting this because of the patch I have sewn on my shell bag.
Carry on....

Attachments

• 70792221_2480879652026284_5447317913553862656_n.jpg
    70792221_2480879652026284_5447317913553862656_n.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 158

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you send out a polite text on the agency group text to remind people not to put the lidocaine premixes on the fluid warmer next to the same size LR bags and the medical director sees and takes away lidocaine drips... ruh roh.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
When you send out a polite text on the agency group text to remind people not to put the lidocaine premixes on the fluid warmer next to the same size LR bags and the medical director sees and takes away lidocaine drips... ruh roh.

That’s how you fix problems.

RocketMedic

Another day, another few brain cells lost. End of lease and moving season cannot get here soon enough.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That’s how you fix problems.
I've got amiodarone still and the evidence doesn't really point to much efficacy for...anything. This really pissed off the old school crew though. *shrug." Next time check your rig out.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That’s a shame. Lido is a very useful drug.