the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I think there should be weight limits with BMI exceptions. In my opinion it is very frustrating to see helicopters turn down patients for weight when the crew is significantly obese. You do not have to be a fitness model but you should strive to be at least in moderate shape.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I could see BMI being a little off. At my heaviest working out in college I think I hit about 185 or just shy of 190 and I am only 5'7 and I naturally sit at 175. BMI charts just love me. On the other hand, I do agree with being in decent shape, but that should apply to all areas of this job.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
They just leave the paramedic, vent, and maybe some odds and ends on the ground here...

In other news, went and had my "paramedic skills assessment" today for a job...bleh I feel terrible. That's either a STEMI mimicer or I'm not getting that job.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I think there should be weight limits with BMI exceptions. In my opinion it is very frustrating to see helicopters turn down patients for weight when the crew is significantly obese. You do not have to be a fitness model but you should strive to be at least in moderate shape.
The most important thing is knowing exactly what each crew member weighs and where they sit as this very much can impact CG as it's possible to have an aircraft that's within its weight limit but outside CG limits if people are in the wrong places. The airframes that have have a higher empty weight aren't going to be as sensitive to individual crew weight but it can still be a factor.

IOW: if you're flying a Bell 47, weight & balance is a big problem. If you're flying an S-70, not so much. Ground School stuff from 30-ish years ago is coming back... too bad I couldn't afford the flight time back then...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When it's bedtime but the other crew told you there is a transfer "pending."

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In other news, went and had my "paramedic skills assessment" today for a job...bleh I feel terrible. That's either a STEMI mimicer or I'm not getting that job.
I want to hear about this. What made you think the scenario/ECG was a STEMI mimic?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
55yo male that you find in Wal-Mart, says he went to finally fill his prescriptions that include things like metoprolol, a statin, and some other meds that I don't remember. Chest pain that woke him from sleep that he tried to write off until he told the pharmacist, previous MI that this feels similar to. Heart rate in the low 60s, otherwise his vitals were entirely unremarkable.

The 12 lead looked intimidating with significant j point elevation in V1-V5. However, the ST changes appeared pretty convex to me and there were no reciprocal changes to speak of anywhere. I elected to treat him for ACS but not call a STEMI alert. Guess I did ok, have oral boards next week :shrug:.

Here's something close. The Ts were much larger in the precordials in the scenario though.
Early_repolarization_ecg.jpg

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
To a facility with a cath lab, this is a northern agency. I would never take anything like this to my current closet ED, I struggle to bring syncope there.
Where I worked in Tacoma Washington, there was a "hospital" that I would struggle bringing my worst enemy to.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn, the family cat back in LA passed away today :'(

Technically Ronan was my sisters cat. He was an office stray at her last job up north of Sacramento that essentially adopted her and she ended up taking him home with her lol.

She'd drive down to visit every so often whenever she had a long weekend, and Ronan would ride with her in the front seat of their car every time, and we'd catsit for her every once in a while, including an extended stay where Ronan was with us for a few months. He would take full advantage of the open lap on my off days lol...but would quickly abandon me when my Mom was home or Liz was visiting. They both moved in permanently when my sister lost her job and moved back in with me and my folks...about a month before I left for Honolulu.

He'd been having some health issues and the vet had him on some heart meds. A few days ago they took him off two of the meds, but today they had to take him back into the vet, was restarted on a lasix pill, but (per the family text string) lethargic, not eating, and breathing heavy. They ended up deciding to drive him into the emergency vet, but he passed away in the car on the ride over :(

Gonna miss you Ronan.

Attachments

• 20150606_104906.jpg
    20150606_104906.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20181031-153654_Bumble.jpg
    Screenshot_20181031-153654_Bumble.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The amount of resources available to you as a state employee I.e. retirement/ health benefits is mind boggling.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Bad weather days are long and boring. Hmm what critical care topic can I write up.