the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Used a Narcan drip a few times in the ICU. Great for people who OD's on XR or long acting narcotics.
I didn't expect any XR type drugs, I have just been trying to find that perfect balance in cutting out as many of the unpleasant side effects as I can (ex. Vomiting). Worked exactly as hoped.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
How much? 2mg in a 500
bag set at like 125ml/hr?
2mg/250. Using a 10 drop set I just set it at 60gtt/min and let it run for a little bit, maybe a minute. Then stop it, evaluate the respiratory effort, rinse wash repeat til desired effect achieved.

Keep in mind though, I don't run the heroin that takes even a full 2mg of Narcan, much less 6, 8, or more. Usually 0.25-0.5mg IV does the trick.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Yet another string of car break-ins in my area with surveillance showing a group of thugs with handguns. It is still "Stand Your Ground" if you exit the house in body armor a suppressed AR and night vision? Asking for a friend.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yet another string of car break-ins in my area with surveillance showing a group of thugs with handguns. It is still "Stand Your Ground" if you exit the house in body armor a suppressed AR and night vision? Asking for a friend.
Hey I heard a noise went out to make sure the dog wasn’t getting attacked by another animal and it was these guys who started to shoot at me first. That’s what I’d be saying.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Only if you are in Texas.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
How much? 2mg in a 500
bag set at like 125ml/hr?
Our guidelines are 2/3s of the milligrams of the dose needed to reverse respiratory depression per hour. The old school medics always taught adding what was ever left of the prefill into a liter bag and then keeping that running at whatever rate was needed to maintain respiratory drive.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our guidelines are 2/3s of the milligrams of the dose needed to reverse respiratory depression per hour. The old school medics always taught adding what was ever left of the prefill into a liter bag and then keeping that running at whatever rate was needed to maintain respiratory drive.

That sounds ... ridiculous.

If you really want to drip it, just squirt 2mg in a 500ml bag and titrate to effect.

Or, ya know, do it the way we’ve been doing it, with those ever popular 0.4mg doses until they breathe.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That sounds ... ridiculous.

If you really want to drip it, just squirt 2mg in a 500ml bag and titrate to effect.

Or, ya know, do it the way we’ve been doing it, with those ever popular 0.4mg doses until they breathe.
Yea, if you're gonna write a guidelines at least make it somewhat user friendly. The latter option does work though. Give a dose of 0.4, improve respirations, squirt the rest into the bag and turn it on when needed.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

o_O Huh? This all seems overly brow furrowing.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Too bad no one carries syringe pumps anymore. Makes things really simple.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Anybody computer savvy? My laptop up and crashed and barely will restart and when it does is running so slooowwwllly as to be useless :/

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Anybody computer savvy? My laptop up and crashed and barely will restart and when it does is running so slooowwwllly as to be useless :/

Corrupted registry, heavy defragmentation, mucked up boot sector or a virus. Could be any of these. Doing tech support online is the same as giving medical advice over the phone.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My laptop up and crashed

My MacBook was giving me the gray/ blue screen of death while trying to start, so guess who just got anew laptop? To be fair my old laptop was pretty old and lived a good life.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When we carried MiniMeds we had half sets we could use to connect to syringes. Not sure if our Sigma Spectrums have that as an option, they use some really awesomely basic tubing though.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Where I work, we have them... we rarely seem to use them, but we do have them. I've been there about a year and a half and over the last 3 months, I used our syringe pumps (we have two different types) three times. Most of the time we don't bother because most of the stuff we give via syringe can be given over 3 min or 5 min and it's just easier to hand push. All three instances of syringe pump use was with peds patients. Our pumps aren't exactly amenable to transport... too physically large.