the 100% directionless thread

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I'm sufficiently pissed with myself. Been working the past five days with only a couple nights at home only about 20hrs at home. End up washing my wallet with my uniforms. Guess it's a new wallet for me and hopefully nothing is ruined after it dries.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hanging out in Oklahoma City for two days

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Had a pt with a STEMI and a possible CVA.... stroke center or stemi center that is the question...
In my area at least, even if a hospital isn'a stroke center, they can still have a CT scanner and tPA. If a stroke center isn't a STEMI center, it usually doesn't have a cath lab. In my area, a stroke center doesn't mean they do neurosurgery either (we actually separate here with primary stroke centers that does CT and tPA vs comprehensive that does neurosurgery). If each hospital could only handle one, I still think I would go with STEMI since I feel like strokes are less likely to be successfully treated; It is hard to make it into that window, easy to have a contraindication, family not wanting it, complications when it is given. I feel like STEMIs are usually more likely to be successfullu treated, so might as well go where the money is.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel like STEMIs are usually more likely to be successfullu treated, so might as well go where the money is.

I'd put money on that.

terrible one

Always wandering
Thanks for all the replies guys. It was an interesting call to say the least

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's not being a PIO, that's being a Communications Coordinator. There's a difference. Both are important, but are different.

The PIO is going to be in front of the camera, pushing information out to the public.

The Communications Coordinator will be presented with an issue, find the subject matter expert, and craft a message so they (the expert) can go in front of the cameras.
Well, that's not how the FEMA class went at least. Coordinating briefings will of course be an on camera endeavor, and oftentimes statements get read. But doing a spot for an upcoming community training class? Someone find me the training captain.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, that's not how the FEMA class went at least. Coordinating briefings will of course be an on camera endeavor, and oftentimes statements get read. But doing a spot for an upcoming community training class? Someone find me the training captain.

Depends on the relationships. PIO usually does ALL off the interviews and media stand ups. Anything not chief level, that is.

cryptometaphor

Forum Ride Along
Well doctor man says he doesn't see any tears in my shoulder....still no idea why it hurts lifting to the side.....cool....
I had this problem...the doctor (without even asking) said "stop hitching the backpack and bags over one shoulder...*both* shoulders, or carry it by the straps below your waist. No other options."

Damn...and six weeks later, all the lifting pain (and while getting up in the morning)...gone.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I had this problem...the doctor (without even asking) said "stop hitching the backpack and bags over one shoulder...*both* shoulders, or carry it by the straps below your waist. No other options."

Damn...and six weeks later, all the lifting pain (and while getting up in the morning)...gone.
I think this was likely over use injury. About 3 weeks before it began I had added some workout stuff that was a lot of volume and all arm and I think I just jumped things too quickly. The pain is almost completely gone now after about 3 weeks. Guessing some type of impingement or something. I've definitely been conscious of how I grab our bags and stuff though since then.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I think this was likely over use injury. About 3 weeks before it began I had added some workout stuff that was a lot of volume and all arm and I think I just jumped things too quickly. The pain is almost completely gone now after about 3 weeks. Guessing some type of impingement or something. I've definitely been conscious of how I grab our bags and stuff though since then.

Gotta get them gains brother! #Brotein

In all seriousness with my history of baseball and bad throwing mechanics for half the time I played ~8 years, I'm very careful with shoulder workouts.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Gotta get them gains brother! #Brotein

In all seriousness with my history of baseball and bad throwing mechanics for half the time I played ~8 years, I'm very careful with shoulder workouts.
I was trying. Before my shoulder became a little *****, I got to knocking out 10 pull ups no problem. Then it said nope.

But between swimming, OHP, push ups, pull ups, work, and everything else I do that puts stress on the shoulder, I guess it shouldn't be a complete surprise either. What did you end up doing long term to build your shoulders back up?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
What did you end up doing long term to build your shoulders back up?

When I was lifting more regularly I would do shoulder press, fly's, etc. and just start off on a light weight that made my muscles work, but wasn't heavy enough to make it hurt i.e. I would get range of motion down before going up in weight. Now even though I haven't lifted in a while my shoulder doesn't even hurt after lifting heavy... now my elbow on the other hand...

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
STEMI center. If the MI is indeed a STEMI and confirmed then that will likely kill them quicker then a "possible" CVA.

Also consider that Increasing ICP can cause STEMI morphology absent an actual cardiac event... had a bleed once that was throwing STEMI rhythm; fortunately we had a one-stop shop where they could sort it out

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Also consider that Increasing ICP can cause STEMI morphology absent an actual cardiac event... had a bleed once that was throwing STEMI rhythm; fortunately we had a one-stop shop where they could sort it out

True but if they are having neurogenic T waves or Global ST elevation from ICP then they are likely herniating. If they are semi stable it's more likely they showered clots both places, probably from a LV thrombus.