the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I also have an interview scheduled. Next week, I’m flying to interview for what sounds like a great fit.

We’ll see if it’s as good as it sounds.
Good luck man. That little one you put in for?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha of course....well the good news is my truck is running now (Yay!!!) Bad news is that that's *after* I bought a new $100 starter...that so far wasn't needed (and is still in its box)...apparently I didn't spend enough time messing with the battery itself, even though I tried jumping it earlier and messed with the connections...when disconnecting those to begin install of new starter I decided to do one last clean of the battery cables and posts before undoing parts...and wouldn't ya know it? It worked and my truck runs now!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yes. The working theory is that a batch of alternators are seizing causing the belt to heat up resulting in fire.
Or a very pissed off employee

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Anybody use a Kindle for books?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I did. Now the kindle app for iPad.
Ah, ok. I was thinking Kindle > iPad, because a Kindle would keep me focused on the reading (and I figure I don't need the extra features an iPad offers, since I could use a phone or laptop). Did you find the Kindle adequate for reading?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Me. I have an old Kindle2 that im finally goimg to replace plus i use the app on my phone and tablet

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What're you replacing with?
Havent decided. One of the newer model kindles. Just haven't decided which one yet lol

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Havent decided. One of the newer model kindles. Just haven't decided which one yet lol

I was looking at the new one (Oasis?) but boy, it is pricier than I want it to be...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I had one of the first generation Kindle e-readers back in the day. I also used to read a lot more back then lol....my very first deployment in 2008 I had a footlocker full of books, I got the Kindle right before my 2nd deployment in '09 and loved it.

Nowadays I have a Kindle Fire tablet....getring to be an older model now, the HDX model that had the top of the line specs....its great, can read regular books, comics, magazine subscriptions, etc. Plus regular tablet apps for games and stuff (so.....if you're looking for a pure reader to avoid all those distractions, Amazon still makes reader only Kindles that'll be good for you, vs the Fire which is full tablet with all its distractions). The only downside is Amazon's newest Fire generation went for the "cheap, but basic" philosophy...so you can get one for ~$50 but at a fraction of the specs of my older higher end HDX model, and it's wearing out now (I've had it a few years)

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I was looking at the new one (Oasis?) but boy, it is pricier than I want it to be...

You don’t really need a Kindle with all the bells and whistles. A simple Kindle Paperwhite does the job just fine. I used to have a Kindle Fire which died in a fire [/pun] exactly a year after it was bought, got a Paperwhite and never looked back.