the 100% directionless thread

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
It’s all about volume vs time. A relatively small increase in pericardial volume abruptly, something like 100ml, can cause Tamponade and a slowly accumulating effusion can be something crazy like 1000ml before causing hemodynamic compromise. Also depends on the compliance of the pericardium. Stiff, I.e pericarditis, with effusion is bad.

Absolutely right. An effusion that develops over a month or so, especially in a younger patient can be tolerated extremely well. The patient will feel horrible, but their echo will look like they should have been dead for days. Easily over a liter and a half in the pericardium is well tolerated over a period of time like that. The physiology adapts as if there is chronic RVF and retains volume. This allows for a rise in venous return and what is lost in contractility is "made up" for with volume. Not very efficient but life prolonging.

400-500 cc in 45 minutes, way different situation. No time to adapt to the fall in filling and contractility.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire or EMS side of the skills?
Fire side skills for my group. The other half of our class thays doing medical first did their NREMT a week or two ago i think? They should be finishing up their ER clinicals and ambulance ride alongs soon

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The other half of our class thays doing medical first did their NREMT a week or two ago i think? They should be finishing up their ER clinicals and ambulance ride alongs soon

How does this work for you considering you already have your NREMT?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How does this work for you considering you already have your NREMT?
It doesn't actually, because like a noob, I never renewed my NREMT and let it expire a few years ago. All I have is my California cert which expires at the end of this month

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It doesn't actually, because like a noob, I never renewed my NREMT and let it expire a few years ago. All I have is my California cert which expires at the end of this month

Bummer.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So yeah, I just take the full class with everyone else, and take the NR EMT at Tue end like everyone else who's never had it.....but I think (though I could be wrong) even the guy who has his medic license will be doing the same (except maybe taking the National)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@Jim37F, seems silly to put a medic through your EMT course but I ain't the guy paying his salary :p
About fire stuff...what's the deal with the US doing things so differently than Europe? I mean, fire is fire is fire, no?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha yeah....i suppose they may do something different with the current NR guys but we don't start medical for like 3 more weeks so we'll see how that all plays out

As far as Europe, I got no clue what they do there so yeah lol heck our books show like 20 different ways to load hose lines on the trucks and we only use 2 of them haha

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well we all passed the rest of our skills today first time goes! But....simeone in the other group (and I haven't heard a lot of details) got fired today...2 Recruits gone in as many days :/

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
So yeah, I just take the full class with everyone else, and take the NR EMT at Tue end like everyone else who's never had it.....but I think (though I could be wrong) even the guy who has his medic license will be doing the same (except maybe taking the National)

Did you tell them you're an EMTLife member with 2500+ posts, 1,500 likes, and more than 100 trophies? That's deserving automatic NREMT in my book.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did you tell them you're an EMTLife member with 2500+ posts, 1,500 likes, and more than 100 trophies? That's deserving automatic NREMT in my book.
It is about as good as a qualifier of skills.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Went deer hunting yesterday. For about 3 hours straight two juvenile bobcats kept pestering each other a couple spoil banks over. My rectum swallowed half my stool the first time. They make some awful noises.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Went deer hunting yesterday. For about 3 hours straight two juvenile bobcats kept pestering each other a couple spoil banks over. My rectum swallowed half my stool the first time. They make some awful noises.
I remember almost getting ran over by a deer running full speed at me. Popped out of the woodline and did an instant 180 about 10 feet away from me.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll be do glad when this damned rally is over

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember almost getting ran over by a deer running full speed at me. Popped out of the woodline and did an instant 180 about 10 feet away from me.
I have a buddy that doubled up that way. Two does barreling at him. He shot the first at 5 yards when it pulled up and turned broad side. Through and through and hit the smaller doe in the neck. It was funny after the fact

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I finally got my tv working lol, instead of a cable plan I opted for a $20 over the air antenna.....I've got the local NBC and CBS affiliates, a local channel, and a bunch of misc religious channels, and even a Spanish language channel (wouldn't have expected that here, if anything I woulda thought I would get a few Hawaiian language channels, or even a Japanese language channel given the largest minority here....) but I don't pick up the local Fox affiliate lol

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

Ooooph TMI bro....but me too, minus the bobcats and deer, unfortunately. Racked the .243 for a 12 ga....on to pheasant!