the 100% directionless thread

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Getting your uniforms tailored makes a HUGE difference, especially if you’re wearing a class B button down. Most people aren’t shaped the way uniforms are cut, and a tailor can make a baggy uniform shirt look fantastic for not much money.

Once you start wearing tailored clothing, you’ll never want to buy a dress shirt or pants off the rack again.
former coworker of mine got hired by dept of corrections. they tailor ALL their officers shirts. Says it makes a huge difference.

EMS? psssh, why should a company pay for you to look good in your uniform shirt?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS? psssh, why should a company pay for you to look good in your uniform shirt?

I'd rather have t-shirts & job shirts, sometimes...even though they look kinda sloppy in comparison to an (unwrinkled) polo or Class B shirt.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah. I think we, speaking of EMS in general, do a mostly awful job of looking professional.

Old T-shirt’s, faded EMS pants, dirty ball caps, scraggly facial hair, dip and Oakley sunglasses is a typical look here in Georgia.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'd rather have t-shirts & job shirts, sometimes...even though they look kinda sloppy in comparison to an (unwrinkled) polo or Class B shirt.
T-shirts and job shirts are my preferred winter uniform... it felt it was stupid to have to wear a buttondown shirt underneath, since it was just another thing to wash......

While I do agree with some of these things, I have to ask:
Old T-shirt’s,
why hasn't the agency issued them new ones?
faded EMS pants
why hasn't the agency issued them new ones?
dirty ball caps
that's fair, but I haven't washed my ball cap.... ever..... i probably should.....
scraggly facial hair
the agency doesn't have a respiratory protection policy requiring a person to be clean shaven? or at least mostly clean shaven so they can wear an n-95 mask?
well, that is just gross, but it is the south, and many people in the south chew (and it's still gross). almost as bad as the chainsmokers in EMS up north.
Oakley sunglasses is a typical look here in Georgia.
you don't like oakley sunglasses? they keep the sun out of your eyes.

Some of those things seem like agency failures instead of unprofessional providers.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@NomadicMedic I definitely agree - EMS is far from the most professional of industries. That said, we also have among the lowest entry standards for public safety & healthcare.

I don't mind (clean) t-shirts, but I think the dip & scraggly beard would be too much for me to tolerate.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I got the facial hair, hated being without it. But I am not allowed to look like I belong in a cotton eyed Joe video and I don't look like a 15 year old desperately trying to look like I do.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I wonder what we'd look like in Business Casual?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
im gettinng terrier kisses!

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Holidays are closing in ! Anyone’s got good leads on downpriced Haix Airpower XR(1 or 2, doesn’t matter) ? Downpriced qualifier = 25%-30% or more off their regular arm+leg+1/2 kidney price.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
And I've finally put in for an apartment. Will be nice to get my family out here finally. I miss my wife and kiddo.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Good news: got an interview for a great position lined up.

Bad news: tree fell on my house in Delaware.

You win some, you lose some.