the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well the CA state bird is out and flying by my house today.

State bird:
IMG_0371.JPG
(This picture is from a different fire)

CALEMT

(This picture is from a different fire)

Looks like the Cocos fire. I remember watching that thing freaking blow up when I was on the Highway fire in 2014.

In other news: Angels vs Dodgers. Almost as important as the World Series.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Moving to Paradise sounds like the best idea I've ever had.....until you look at the logistics of the move. Unlike getting on at LA City or County or San Diego or Las Vegas or San Fran or even FDNY in this case where all I'd really have to do is load up a UHaul and drive over to my new place.......Can't quite just do that for Honolulu lol
(Unless you know of an aquatic version of UHaul? That'd actually be pretty cool lol!)

Find a cheaper quote to ship my truck.....at $1100 give or take, which seems to be the bottom of what to expect. Shipping the rest of my stuff? Well, being a Millenial (Or am I a 90's Baby or a Gen X or Y??) who's almost 30 and living with Mom and Dad I have all of a single bedroom's worth of stuff, and prob not even worried so much about moving furniture. Seems to be a bit of a problem as most moving options I've looked at are big shipping containers for household moves. Granted I've only started research, but the best I've got so far was from Pods for a 7'x7'x8' container for roughly $3700 all said and done door to door. Another moving company quoted high teens, so yeah...

CALEMT

Moving to Paradise sounds like the best idea I've ever had.....until you look at the logistics of the move. Unlike getting on at LA City or County or San Diego or Las Vegas or San Fran or even FDNY in this case where all I'd really have to do is load up a UHaul and drive over to my new place.......Can't quite just do that for Honolulu lol
(Unless you know of an aquatic version of UHaul? That'd actually be pretty cool lol!)

Find a cheaper quote to ship my truck.....at $1100 give or take, which seems to be the bottom of what to expect. Shipping the rest of my stuff? Well, being a Millenial (Or am I a 90's Baby or a Gen X or Y??) who's almost 30 and living with Mom and Dad I have all of a single bedroom's worth of stuff, and prob not even worried so much about moving furniture. Seems to be a bit of a problem as most moving options I've looked at are big shipping containers for household moves. Granted I've only started research, but the best I've got so far was from Pods for a 7'x7'x8' container for roughly $3700 all said and done door to door. Another moving company quoted high teens, so yeah...

I mean if you're only doing it once...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
In other news: Angels vs Dodgers. Almost as important as the World Series.
For who? Lol, LA hasn't woken up yet. I still (and will forever) refuse to acknowledge that Anaheim is at all affiliated with Los Angeles.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant

It costs about 900-1000 USD to ship a car from Japan to the USA. The 1100 seems to be fair enough, it's marked up a bit, but domestic shipping is lower volume and doesn't have to deal with customs.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought I saw a quote of 800-900 from one of the moving companies for auto shipping, but it was more a "hey, btw, we do this..!" ad vs a quote I've solicited so who knows how much that'd go up...

Anyways, I think tomorrow at work I'm gonna put in my 2 weeks. Both McCormick and the Army. Well let them know I have an actual date for Academy and will be busy next month moving lol, but so far looks like the best option is to stick with my current unit and either work out a work plan to have all those drill dates be considered excused absences or whatever they need (also get my name off the list of people going to annual training in August, sorry guys but I'll be elsewhere.....)

After my 2 weeks are done and I'm out, I want to get over to the island to actually look at places to move into. So between now and then I need to look at a few more places on Zillow or Apartments dot com and the like and have a few addresses to take a look at. I'm thinking of trying to utilize Military Space-A since then my schedule will be a bit more flexible lol.

Maybe even talk to a realtor or someone to show me more available places than just what I can see online myself......in any case I kinda want to be able to actually give someone some money and sign some stuff and have an actual Honolulu address to my name. Ideally in enough time to start the process of getting a State driver license.

From there I think I'll be ready to schedule an actual shipping day with movers. Whether that's ordering a Pods container or hiring someone to come over and grab my stuff in boxes out of my room and ship it is still TBD. Though honestly, once I have a place to lay down my head, a bare minimum of clothes and things like my laptop and important documents seem to be the only "critical" to have before Academy starts. Uniforms are all on the island already, being put together, will be ready for pickup before Academy start.

And then scheduling shipping my truck, looks like a 2 week process, so once I have a place to move into, should be fairly easy to know "I'm shipping my stuff on this date....I'll ship my truck on this date....then I'll fly over and that'll be the one way move and be waiting on my stuff to be delivered"...

Then I get to do all the fun DMV registering and all that jazz. Oh yeah, Change of Address with the Post Office, updating all my banking stuff, and whatnot.

Ideally, I'd like to at least do the One Way trip by mid July, Obviously, first week of August is my "No Sheisse have to be moved there ready to go"....and I have the feeling there's gonna be a million and one small things that crop up in between all these steps that "absolutely have to be done right now" so we'll see how it all goes lol

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sprinkling magic rotor dust everywhere.

The first lesson will be "EMTs do not save Paramedics"
Just don't mention the caveat: they only save tunnel-visioned Paramedics...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
domestic shipping is lower volume and doesn't have to deal with customs.

Cost is a lot higher due to the Jones Act -- U.S. port to U.S. port has to be on a U.S. built and U.S. flagged ship owned by U.S. citizens crewed by U.S. citizens (or permanent residents), as opposed to, say, a ship built in China crewed by a polyglot crew and owned by a Greek conglomerate.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot....apparantly now I need a while new engine for my truck cuz a piston broke or something like that?