the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I find it funny he's now known for all of these comedic impressions. Has anyone ever seen or heard of Glen Gary Glenn Ross?

The man could act, he has about an 8 minute cameo that all but steals the movie, back when movies still consisted of dialogue (circa ~'92? Lol)... "ABC: Always..Be...Closing"

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
d459aa65c72318c245b385bb1ef5e187.jpg

I love me my heavy imperial stouts. Good thing I only live 4 blocks from this bar

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I still can't get into the stouts, about the darkest I go would be the belgian ales such as Brother T.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Stouts for me are more for sip and relax type of beer. Like a kick your feet up and smoke a cigar kind of drink.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This makes 3x beers tonight that are all over 10%. I love living so close to a beer bar that had 20+ taps of great beer

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have yet to find a critical access hospital in California that permits paramedics to function in this capacity, though I'd be interested to learn where they're located (sounds perfect for a paramedic with an aging back). The majority of the ED's I know may hire paramedics, but will not let them function as anything other than a glorified ED clerk, in spite of what the "job description" may read. Title 22 or not, to me it seems as though the bulk majority will not let a paramedic function as stated in such a policy; sad really, and I think we call both agree on that.
The ED's that will do this (there are a couple that at least used to...) run a hospital-based 911 ambulance service. Those EMT and Paramedic personnel that are working and are based out of the hospital itself can be used to supplement the nursing staff but cannot replace the nursing staff for the simple reason that if there's a 911 call, patient care continuity must be maintained. Mostly they'd be used to start IV lines, push code meds, run the defibrillator, and the like. Basically they do some very task-oriented stuff that can be handed off to an RN should there be a 911 call that comes in. The hospital I work at is a CAH and "Small and Rural" hospital but they do NOT run their own ambulance company nor do they have a contract with a local ambulance company/agency to allow for EMT/Paramedic upstaffing to meet a sudden increase in patient demand. As an RN there I'd love to have a dedicated Paramedic or two to pass off tasks off to when things get really busy and as a Paramedic, I see instances where sometimes it would be awesome to also be authorized the full Paramedic scope when needed. While I have quite a bit of a wider scope of practice as an RN compared to that of a Paramedic, I'm not authorized to place EJ IV lines, can't intubate, can't do needle decompression, needle cric, etc even with a physician order. I have to be accredited by the hospital to do these things. This isn't to say that I'm helpless because we do have some standing orders for nurses to initiate based on our assessments, but these standing orders are quite limited because usually within seconds or a couple minutes the physician is there in the room to take over from the protocols.

Since I am also a Paramedic, it would be nice if we could get the prehospital protocols to "work" also within the ED, if only to allow Paramedics to work there as needed and to get the nurses there more exposure to the prehospital protocols so we know what to expect. Radio reports would be much faster if "following XXX protocol at this time" could be done instead of spending a minute or two listing treatments provided...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone ever seen or heard of Glen Gary Glenn Ross?
Oh man, his motivation speech from that is too good. And that movie just has the best cast - Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Continuing the conversation from http://emtlife.com/threads/amr-santa-clarita.44913/page-2#post-628585 @gonefishing (mostly cuz we were getting off topic lol) all that talk about Gerber jinxed us, I'm currently posted in Torrance right now yay :p Eh maybe we'll snag a Redondo call instead ha
What is the deal with your guys' paramedics being used on BLS cars? Also, are they still "back-up" ALS for the beach cities (assuming they're double paramedic staff when doing so per the county requirement)?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the deal with your guys' paramedics being used on BLS cars? Also, are they still "back-up" ALS for the beach cities (assuming they're double paramedic staff when doing so per the county requirement)?
Gerbers no more. He's over at Mccormick.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Gerbers no more. He's over at Mccormick.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
That's who I was referring to regarding their paramedics being back-up for the "beach cities" they cover;). I can't remember Gerber having paramedics back up city fire departments. Maybe SMFD when they had that contract like AMR used to??o_O

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
[Complaint]
20 years since the EMS Agenda for the Future was published...
And we are...where, exactly?
[/Complaint]

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I can't say that I specifically recall it being referred to as such, but sounds like nothing more than a buzzword for community paramedicine. Was there more to it than this?
http://happymedic.com/category/ems-2-0/

http://www.highperformanceems.com/tag/ems-2-0/

It was supposed to be the revolution that gives EMS a seat at the table. To be recognized as medical professionals, not just technicians. http://www.lifeunderthelights.com/ems-2-0/#sthash.cCYZeoJW.dpbs

Sadly, most EMS providers lack the education to ever be taken seriously. (Myself included)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It was supposed to be the revolution that gives EMS a seat at the table. To be recognized as medical professionals, not just technicians. http://www.lifeunderthelights.com/ems-2-0/#sthash.cCYZeoJW.dpbs

Sadly, most EMS providers lack the education to ever be taken seriously. (Myself included)
Well, that's most unfortunate. I think lack of education coupled with a sustained lack or sense of maturity given the fluctuations in age ranges demographically speaking is definitely a crippling, and hindering setback towards this sort of thing.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

I would love to see the education standards go up here. I would probably have hated it during, but hitting everything again in more detail would have been nice. I still have to supplement so much stuff on my own (not that this particularly would change) to keep up with various topics I see here and elsewhere.