the 100% directionless thread

Moreso "can you be living proof that we support a workforce that represents the population served?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This I still find ironic. One the one hand you're sending certain people to certain areas to "assimilate", and on the other hand, perhaps the whole reason they applied for and worked so hard to get on with said department/ agency was to move away from those areas, lol. Ah, the politics of even public service.

@Jim37F's post above may not be what everyone considers "qualified", but it sure as **** shows determination in my book. Clearly, Hawaii or not (I know they're totally twisting your arm, bud), this shows commitment. Same goes for the thousands of sheckles I spent going through hoops for CCP certs, and higher than average paramedic training. It's just sad, again IMO, that because one needs to "diversify" their workforce to meet status quo or because they may be number crunchers, a super dedicated, committed, and perhaps equally qualified candidate is passed over.

I'm just a big ol cheeseball I guess, I believe if you want it that bad, you'll see past all of it, so I guess in essence it doesn't matter what said department does as recruitment tactics, you'll find your way to your ideal job one day, and are color blind to the rest:).

I support @Jim37F and his dedication. That said, nearly everyone who has a career as a paid firefighter in California has done their time on the route; the average is 5 solid years of testing, volunteering and working seasonal/temporary positions before getting an offer to join a "career department".

I support @Jim37F and his dedication. That said, nearly everyone who has a career as a paid firefighter in California has done their time on the route; the average is 5 solid years of testing, volunteering and working seasonal/temporary positions before getting an offer to join a "career department".

Lol, yeah I'm not disagreeing, but rather stating the obvious duality between diversity, and nepotism, cheers.

Going to the dreaded OR tomorrow, so not excited.

Would you be able to play the game? I am personally very bad at the game. Those who are educated, confident, have a defined style and are used to autonomy usually struggle on the suppression side.

I'm pretty bad at the game myself. Luckily I managed to get in with the right circles... That game I can play ;)

Those who are educated, confident, have a defined style and are used to autonomy usually struggle on the suppression side.
Why is this though? I feel this here is another huge reason many (not all, or every) FFPM's are pigeonholed into the "Mongo the Medic" category.

You will literally have officers in some depts tell you to dramatically lower the level of care you provide. You may hear "the ambulance will be here in a minute" or "just get vitals". If you push back against the wrong person, you're gone... And the official reason will be "attitude".

Fighting fire (and the like) is not too difficult if you are physically able to do the job; successfully navigating the culture of your department until you clear probation is why most people fail and have their lives/careers derailed.

People with answers struggle; the "I don't know" people do well. The hardest thing to do is be a smart person who can play dumb.

That's one of the nice things about being in a large department with a strong union (at least down here, don't know about west coast). It's almost impossible to get rid of us. I couldn't care less if I rub an officer the wrong way or disagree with him.

Most if not all CA fire departments are unionized.

Fighting fire (and the like) is not too difficult if you are physically able to do the job; successfully navigating the culture of your department until you clear probation is why most people fail and have their lives/careers derailed...People with answers struggle; the "I don't know" people do well. The hardest thing to do is be a smart person who can play dumb.
To all of my single-role paramedic peeps out there who often argue the "FFPM vs. single-role pm" debate, I think @gotshirtz001 just settled it:eek:.

I figured they were. But not all unions afford firefighters the same level of protection. Most, if not all, are unionized down here also. But only the major cities are nearly impossible to get fired from. In the mid-sized and small departments, it's absolutely how @gotshirtz001 described. You better agree and fit in or you're at risk.

But only the major cities are nearly impossible to get fired from. In the mid-sized and small departments, it's absolutely how @gotshirtz001 described. You better agree and fit in or you're at risk.
And sadly, I have seen, and known GOOD FFPM's who were let go because of it.

You are unrepresented until you clear probation; you pay dues but have no union backing if you find yourself on the radar.

Even in large departments, if you are on the radar, you are in jeopardy. Those who are part of a designated protected class (in practice) require more documentation before they are released but all probationaries are "at will employees" and can be released based on purely subjective reasons. I know a lot of good people who have had their careers derailed because of a perceived "fit" issue.

A common phrase is:
"If there is any question, there is no question"

Last edited:
That's one of the nice things about being in a large department with a strong union (at least down here, don't know about west coast). It's almost impossible to get rid of us. I couldn't care less if I rub an officer the wrong way or disagree with him.
The probationary year though...I just don't know if I can do that.

Springs Fire is making two hiring lists this year, one for the average citizen, the other for paramedics. Their starting medic wage (after one year probation) is almost twice what I make working for a third service (with comparable benefits). It's tempting, but I am not sure I could make it the point where I could be comfortable doing things my way.

Going to the dreaded OR tomorrow, so not excited.

Oh no, not the dreaded OR. It is so much worse than the non-dreaded OR. :)

Seriously, I wish I could have some of you guys come spend the day with me and my partner on a busy day. We'd have you doing airway assessments, dropping tubes, stuffing LMA's, switching LMA's out for tubes, masking every patient for at least 10 minutes, using US to scan lungs and vasculature.....it'd be fun.

Edit: maybe even place a a-line or two.

Last edited:

Seriously, I wish I could have some of you guys come spend the day with me and my partner on a busy day. We'd have you doing airway assessments, dropping tubes, stuffing LMA's, switching LMA's out for tubes, masking every patient for at least 10 minutes, using US to scan lungs and vasculature.....it'd be fun.
I really wish i could pull a day in the OR with you guys. Sounds fun and i know I'd learn something new

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sounds like my idea of a good time.

Edit: maybe even place a a-line or two.

Sign me up! I'd KILL for that opportunity.

Back