the 100% directionless thread

One of the other flight paramedics went down to attend a class put on by them some time ago.

He shared a very similar story, with a very similar outcome. Makes me wonder how truly bad their department has become, and/ or then struggles they continue to deal with.
If they are sending people 2 hours away to a gay pride event (they are legitimately at a gay pride event) to recruit people they must be hurting really badly.

So.....there's hope for me yet? :p
I've always felt that the guys that get their p card and don't wanna do suppression are no less richards than the guys getting their p card just to do suppression, but I guess I can't really blame either of them.

It just seemed wrong to take a test with a bazillion other guys who would sell their own brother up a creek to get into a department, but because I had a p card, I got "bonus points"....ahhh good ol SoCal.

If they are sending people 2 hours away to a gay pride event (they are legitimately at a gay pride event) to recruit people they must be hurting really badly.
As a side to this, any of the LACO peeps on here who cover WeHo (@Jim37F) ever notice the side door logo on the LASD WeHo patrol units?...awesome.

Nah, they're likely just trying to tick more of the diversity boxes. Down here, we only advertise when we're recruiting at areas high in specific minority groups. If you go to more blended or affluent areas, you'd never know we were hiring.

As a side to this, any of the LACO peeps on here who cover WeHo (@Jim37F) ever notice the side door logo on the LASD WeHo patrol units?...awesome.
The little WeHo graphic they got?
40500375a996a8142ce72641dc8ea5be.jpg

I certainly wouldn't mind going Fire. @STXmedic , how's the staffing over at SAFD looking?

LAFD has no shortage of qualified applicants; just a perceived shortage (by some) in regards to overall diversity of their workforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAFD has no shortage of qualified applicants; just a perceived shortage (by some) in regards to overall diversity of their workforce.

Is this really still a thing? Trying to "diversify" their workforce? I laugh as I am a "minority" by definition..I suppose:rolleyes:.

Is this really still a thing? Trying to "diversify" their workforce? I laugh as I am a "minority" by definition..I suppose:rolleyes:.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lafd-hiring-follow-20151117-story.html

If by "thing" you mean a specific and defined goal, then yes.

This makes perfect sense why they are staffing a pride rally. If I had to think of an event where I might find a high density of females interested and able to do the job, that would probably be it.

I am like the exact opposite of "minority", my picture would not be out of place next to the definition of "WASP":D Maybe once I get my own para-magician card though...

In the meantime I've got the physical ability test for Honolulu next week, which means I shelled out 600 bucks for plane tickets to this little, middle of nowhere isolated town, so bummed...:D:D

By "thing" I mean ridiculously sad, never mind the most qualified candidate regardless of where they've come from, and/ or who they are, but whadda' I know?...

Depends on what one determines to be a "qualified"; we most often think in the realm of most qualified operationally. Management looks at other issues such as public relations as qualifying characteristics; operational paradigms have a minimum standard which have to be met and maintained but to some Chiefs, doing such things faster does not necessarily make you more qualified.

I certainly wouldn't mind going Fire. @STXmedic , how's the staffing over at SAFD looking?

Would you be able to play the game? I am personally very bad at the game. Those who are educated, confident, have a defined style and are used to autonomy usually struggle on the suppression side.

Management looks at other issues such as public relations as qualifying characteristics
Otherwise known as "Do you know my boss" or "do you know a key public figure/somebody important(diplomat/ bureaucrat)?"

I am like the exact opposite of "minority", my picture would not be out of place next to the definition of "WASP":D Maybe once I get my own para-magician card though...

In the meantime I've got the physical ability test for Honolulu next week, which means I shelled out 600 bucks for plane tickets to this little, middle of nowhere isolated town, so bummed...:D:D
Depends on what one determines to be a "qualified"
@Jim37F's post above may not be what everyone considers "qualified", but it sure as **** shows determination in my book. Clearly, Hawaii or not (I know they're totally twisting your arm, bud), this shows commitment. Same goes for the thousands of sheckles I spent going through hoops for CCP certs, and higher than average paramedic training. It's just sad, again IMO, that because one needs to "diversify" their workforce to meet status quo or because they may be number crunchers, a super dedicated, committed, and perhaps equally qualified candidate is passed over.

I'm just a big ol cheeseball I guess, I believe if you want it that bad, you'll see past all of it, so I guess in essence it doesn't matter what said department does as recruitment tactics, you'll find your way to your ideal job one day, and are color blind to the rest:).

Otherwise known as "Do you know my boss" or "do you know a key public figure/somebody important(diplomat/ bureaucrat)?"

Moreso "can you be living proof that we support a workforce that represents the population served?"

Back