the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I haven't had a chance to actually see the 407 yet. They previously flew EC130s and BK117s.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
They previously flew EC130s
I know you're talking about this
4458138001_d2fb618cf5_z.jpg

But I'm still picturing one of this
c-130J.jpg

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
From where I sit, if I was going to spend my life as a transporting medic, San Francisco Fire Dept is the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Pulled over for the local volly fire's utility vehicle running code 3 while we were en route to a general weakness call today. Ended up meeting them there 2 mins later. :confused:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well just finished my ACLS refresher. I don't think I learned anything except that the AHA is intentionally dumbing things down.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
From where I sit, if I was going to spend my life as a transporting medic, San Francisco Fire Dept is the best option.

I could see myself applying there on the suppression side...do they have medics on the suppression side that work on the ambulances or just the single role guys on the transport units?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha. Why wait?! Continuous testing process!! Most suppression medics come from the ambo (1/4 of each academy) and then have the ability to pick up ambo overtime if they want.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Mostly waiting to see how my LA City backgrounds go...plus I've got that interview with North Las Vegas coming up, see how all that goes before applying to somewhere new...
You can always back out of a hiring process if you land a job you want...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have thought about it. A lot. Maybe that's the answer. Although, moving back to DE isn't super appealing from a quality of life standpoint.

However, I think these unicorn jobs are out there, we just don't know about them because they're low profile. They're not publishibg papers or doing high profile, King County style research. They're not actively recruiting in JEMS and offering a sign on bonus... They're just doing solid work and paying their medics well. So, most of us never hear about them. I had no idea about Sussex until I found it by accident and as I spread the word, they've attracted medic from all over the place, several from posts I've made here.

The service where I just interviewed paid over 72k base for a medic with my experience. That's not counting paid CE and overtime. Not bad for 2 shifts a week. (See why I'm bummed that I didn't get that job?)

If you don't want to be a fire fighter, why should you have to settle for 12 hours in a truck, doing SSM for 13 bucks an hour? That's not a career. That's just a job, and not a very good one.

You'd probably like Williamson County. Except it's in Texas. Granted we've got a decent amount of lakes around us but not really 4 seasons.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Last time I checked they do fly the A-star, but they're usually apparently staffed with a pilot and a medic. Both have to be CHP officers and it's my understanding that the medic has to have 1 year as an officer before getting assigned to the helo.

Because of the staffing, they're considered a rescue aircraft and not an air ambulance, at least as I understand things there.

There was a thread not to long ago about CHP flight medic spots. If I'm not mistaken there's a CHP officer on here that is on a helo.

I'd love to live in Wyoming. My wife would divorce me.

Believe me when I say that the wind always blows.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Strongly considering giving up my medic and becoming a DO. Just need to find a place I can do my majors sciences with my schedule. Anyone know an online class for the majors sciences? Ill fly to do the labs.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
I think so, but once we have a patient in one of them, we basically can't really do anything. It's too small with their layout.

Yes, it is tough to get much done once we're all loaded up and on the go. With the way we're set up during a medevac I pretty much only have access to the head and chest if I don't want to try to crawl around inside a flying helicopter.

Last time I checked they do fly the A-star, but they're usually apparently staffed with a pilot and a medic. Both have to be CHP officers and it's my understanding that the medic has to have 1 year as an officer before getting assigned to the helo.

Because of the staffing, they're considered a rescue aircraft and not an air ambulance, at least as I understand things there.

This is correct. All of our AirOps units that do rescues/medevacs have A-stars. Most are AS350 B3's and we are slowly phasing in the newer AS 350 B3e's. Since Eurocopter got bought out by Airbus they're calling these H125's now.

In the county I work in we are classified as ALS air rescue.

All of our pilots and medics are CHP officers having gone through the academy and worked the road in a patrol car. The requirement is generally 2 years as a road officer before being able to get a spot flying and even then they are competitive spots.

There was a thread not to long ago about CHP flight medic spots. If I'm not mistaken there's a CHP officer on here that is on a helo.

Believe me when I say that the wind always blows.

Hi there.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It sounds like a pretty standard medical layout for an A-Star. All the interiors I've ever seen there's only access to the head and chest and kinda arms.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I did a rideout with HEMS when I was in paramedic school, but since then (nearly 8 years ago) I've yet to see the inside of one or even use HEMS in the field...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Dear non-medical and non-fire individula wearing an "Incident Response Team" jacket,

If you drive like an ****** in front of me on winding mountain roads while responding to a head on TA caused by that very behavior in a lifted pickup with a bunch of poorly placed lights on it, we will have be having words with law enforcement. And if you choose to confront me about it on scene, well you made a bad choice.