the 100% directionless thread

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Work just gave me an iPhone 6 Plus. There's no need to carry a phone this big. No need.

I had a 6 Plus for a while and traded it for a 6. I have pretty big hands and could mostly use it one-handed so that wasn't the problem, it just didn't fit well in certain places that I put my phone , like my pockets, the cup holder in my Excursion, etc. So I traded for a 6 and have been happy with it.

For the last few months though, I've been doing a lot of hiking and using a program called Gaia GPS on my iPhone for route planning, navigation, and tracks. So now I'm planning to get another 6 Plus because the bigger screen would make a nice difference. Also, the GPS drains the battery really fast, and the 6 Plus holds a lot more juice than the 6.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This past week or so I have had a bit of a dry spell in terms of getting IVs. This past couple days had me nailing each one, usually on the first try.

Don't feel bad, a few days ago I put an IV in a dude's median basilic vein, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't running. Until I looked closely and saw that the blood backing up into the line was pulsatile.....somehow I apparently went through the vein and into the brachial artery. Oops.

Last edited:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did you leave it in so you had arterial access that you probably don't need?

Work just gave me an iPhone 6 Plus. There's no need to carry a phone this big. No need.
I really like the iPhone SE. All the functions of the iPhone 6 Plus in a package no bigger than the iPhone 5S.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I had a 6 Plus for a while and traded it for a 6. I have pretty big hands and could mostly use it one-handed so that wasn't the problem, it just didn't fit well in certain places that I put my phone , like my pockets, the cup holder in my Excursion, etc. So I traded for a 6 and have been happy with it.

For the last few months though, I've been doing a lot of hiking and using a program called Gaia GPS on my iPhone for route planning, navigation, and tracks. So now I'm planning to get another 6 Plus because the bigger screen would make a nice difference. Also, the GPS drains the battery really fast, and the 6 Plus holds a lot more juice than the 6.

If you've been doing a lot of hiking lately, try PDF Maps. Its free in the app store, its got tons of maps you can pay a dollar for but most of the 7.5 minute topo maps are free. I like to use it when I'm out mountain biking in the middle of nowhere. It has all the forest service roads, trails... not so much. I primarily use it incase I get lost so I can find my way back to a road. Also its GPS enabled and doesn't really drain my battery.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you've been doing a lot of hiking lately, try PDF Maps. Its free in the app store, its got tons of maps you can pay a dollar for but most of the 7.5 minute topo maps are free. I like to use it when I'm out mountain biking in the middle of nowhere. It has all the forest service roads, trails... not so much. I primarily use it incase I get lost so I can find my way back to a road. Also its GPS enabled and doesn't really drain my battery.

I have that app too.......and I agree it's a good one. I've bought several of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps on it because I really like them, and you can't do that on the Gaia app, though it also has lots of free ones you can download.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have that app too.......and I agree it's a good one. I've bought several of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps on it because I really like them, and you can't do that on the Gaia app, though it also has lots of free ones you can download.

The free topo maps are all I download. I just like the fact that I can have no cell signal and still have location on it because its GPS enabled.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Don't feel bad, a few days ago I put an IV in a dude's median basilic vein, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't running. Until I looked closely and saw that the blood backing up into the line was pulsatile.....somehow I apparently went through the vein and into the brachial artery. Oops.
Well, thus far I haven't done any arterial sticks, inadvertent or not... One particular patient was very, very dehydrated, probably due to DKA, and while there were veins... nothing would thread. That patient ended up getting an IJ... and ended up on fluids, insulin, and antibiotics all at one time. Otherwise I'd have had to worry about IV fluid compatibility for those three going into one line.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is this adult life so darn confusing. Day 1 of apartment hunting and all kinds of requirements and **** that ruled a few of them out. Reallllllllllly wishing I got on with that volunteer fire department when they had openings so I could have had a free place to stay with a stupidly low call volume. :mad:

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
afcf97b86d3fe76aac09412a7775e06c.jpg
b1259a57a4cc18cd5040cf190e27ee0e.jpg

Well, that happened...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Written test tomorrow for a rock solid county third service. Did a ride along today, definitely could spend my career here.

I like Texas so far.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Written test tomorrow for a rock solid county third service. Did a ride along today, definitely could spend my career here.

I like Texas so far.

What?! Donde?!