the 100% directionless thread

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I wasn't thinking something as drastic as a splint. I passed all the fit and lift tests with flying colors. I was just thinking proactively.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just found out that my first cardiac arrest patient ever as a medic was discharged home with no lasting disabilities and full able to take care of himself.
That's pretty awesome!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That's would be a great question for whoever heads up employee health for your department. They may have a recommendation or exercises to strengthen your weak points.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
When we got to the ED, I thought he had a bleed and was herniating.

We came back about 6hrs later and the nurse pulled us aside. He had an ischemic bowel that perf'd, causing acute peritonitis and sepsis. He had a lactate of 13.7mg/dl.

Not going to catch that one easily without a portable CT in the back of the truck.

EDIT: and I would have thought it was a bleed too.

Last edited:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
When we got to the ED, I thought he had a bleed and was herniating.

We came back about 6hrs later and the nurse pulled us aside. He had an ischemic bowel that perf'd, causing acute peritonitis and sepsis. He had a lactate of 13.7mg/dl.

We just got lactate monitors (same thing as a d-stick), so if they are symptomatic, and have a lactate of over a "4" we are supposed to call a "sepsis alert" to the hospital so they can get antibiotics going, in under an hour.

Hospital already had this type of thing in place, now moving it out into the field. We will see how it works.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We just got lactate monitors (same thing as a d-stick), so if they are symptomatic, and have a lactate of over a "4" we are supposed to call a "sepsis alert" to the hospital so they can get antibiotics going, in under an hour.

Hospital already had this type of thing in place, now moving it out into the field. We will see how it works.
We've talked about getting them, but it got put on the back burner. Especially with the new things we're working on- I don't think they want to overload our guys..... Not hard to do for some...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

What one are you using? We're using the LactatePRO, but they're out of production at this point. They're still producing our strips fortunately. It's very difficult to find a strip based POC lactate meter approved for medical use by the FDA...

Kate22

Forum Probie
so...i thought i wanted to do fire for a long time...idk if thats for me...not now anyway, i really want to accomplish my goal of being a PA...if everything works out, i should be able to go back to uni in the spring...

Good for you, man. :) Good luck. Are you thinking EM PA? Different specialty?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I failed both the LA County FD written test and my San Diego FD oral interview.....but on the flip side was invited to turn in my resume to Long Beach FD today, complete with a whole orientation. They're taking 450 of us to interviews for a little less than 30 to start Drill School in January so I still got some hope after all lol

Angel

Paramedic
Good for you, man. :) Good luck. Are you thinking EM PA? Different specialty?

maybe surgery...im not 100% sure of the role of a PA in surgery, i just know (and youre gonna think im crazy) in HS when we dissected cats, it was a lot of fun...college we only did prosections and that was fine too, but something about looking inside the body is interesting for me.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
maybe surgery...im not 100% sure of the role of a PA in surgery, i just know (and youre gonna think im crazy) in HS when we dissected cats, it was a lot of fun...college we only did prosections and that was fine too, but something about looking inside the body is interesting for me.
Coroner!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Hm, I forgot that carbonates form co2 when mixed with acid. The **** organic chemistry class does to you.

The test I thought was golden, isn't.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What one are you using? We're using the LactatePRO, but they're out of production at this point. They're still producing our strips fortunately. It's very difficult to find a strip based POC lactate meter approved for medical use by the FDA...
I want lactate monitors but we have also run into this issue.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Not sure, but LactatePro sounds familiar. They have not hit the trucks yet. Only put my hands on them in CE a couple weeks ago.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Applying to possibly my dream paramedic job in Washington state. Doubt I'll get it since im not even done with school yet (6 weeks!) but going to try anyways!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Weren't you guys talking about Super Trooper a couple of weeks ago? It's on Netflix.