the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
@Angel

I'd take a pay cut for the first year or so if I transferred to flight from what I've been told about their starting hourly here.

Even if it didn't turn out to be a pay cut it wouldn't be a big, if any sort of a raise until I got seniority under my belt. We too out at 23.50ish/hr (25.50ish with an FTO differential) on the ground here on a 48hr work week, not sure what their top end is.

Sorry you had to see that, unfortunately suicides and the holiday season seem to go hand in hand :-/

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Angel, it's always sad... and unfortunately suicides do sometimes accompany holidays. I suspect that it's not a planned thing, but rather something about the holidays and other "special" days in a person's life that causes their pain and suffering to get to a point where they can only see death as the way to end it.

It's the living, including us, that have to deal with the aftermath. I hope that the family has good counseling available and if you need it yourself, use it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey all, please be safe out there and practice defensive driving, I just encountered a drunk driver at work...we were transporting a stable BLS patient to the hospital when I saw this guy asleep at the wheel sitting in the middle of the intersection, (just kind of slumped in the drivers seat, head back, mouth open and kind of nodding). So we checked on him to ensure there wasn't a medical reason, knocked on his door, and you could just smell the booze a mile away when he opened it...although we called the local police he took off before they got there :/

Happy Thanksgiving all, and to all the first responders who are working today, may your shift be safe and uneventful.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Happy thanksgiving to all! May your day be filled with refusals, turkey, and football.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone, for all of us that are working and making extra money today, be safe out there

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My first thanksgiving off in seven years. I got off at 0100 from the hospital and am off till friday night. Time to gorge on beer and turkey

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Sitting at work, watching football... the worst part of working on thanksgiving, is having to leave the station in the middle of the football game!!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I never knew that...if anything i figured holidays would give people hope.

anyway, i see their hiring flight medics, is that something you're interested in too?
For most people, holidays do give people hope. It can also bring the opposite.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I never knew that...if anything i figured holidays would give people hope.

anyway, i see their hiring flight medics, is that something you're interested in too?

Ultimately I'd like to fly but I don't meet the requirements. Need a little more experience. I've got a lot on my plate right now already with FTO and TEMS testing and interviews coming up.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ultimately I'd like to fly but I don't meet the requirements. Need a little more experience. I've got a lot on my plate right now already with FTO and TEMS testing and interviews coming up.
Outside applicants can apply though?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I killed Thanksgiving dinner!!! On the down side, I know remember why I hate social interaction. If you're under 10 and try to help cook, it's cute. If you're a grown *** person trying to "help", all your going to do is piss off the person in charge (me).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sad holiday. Over the last year or so mom has been increasingly confused, but today my dad told me it's been a lot worse. They went to have a CT and time other screening and the doc said she had "significant cognitive impairment", should no longer drive and that she would progressively worsen.

It just sucks. My mom was always sharp, had a great sense of humor and was a joy to be around. Tonight she was confused as to who I was and she forgot it was her birthday.

Dementia sucks. I'm just crushed by how quickly it's progressed.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Sad holiday. Over the last year or so mom has been increasingly confused, but today my dad told me it's been a lot worse. They went to have a CT and time other screening and the doc said she had "significant cognitive impairment", should no longer drive and that she would progressively worsen.

It just sucks. My mom was always sharp, had a great sense of humor and was a joy to be around. Tonight she was confused as to who I was and she forgot it was her birthday.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Thanks. I'm just crushed.
Remember her for who she was, not the disease process that's going on now. So sorry you have to deal with this. :(

Sorry to hear about your mom's health. You and your family are in my thoughts.