the 100% directionless thread

Close to three thousand sq mi with three ambulances here

We cover ~5,000 square miles with ~20 ALS units and 4 BLS units per day with over 25K calls per year.

Yeah, but almost 75% is empty desert ;) BURN DHS.

That's untrue. That's 20 calls a day per unit with full staffing. Edit: And that's if all units were all on at the same time on 24's.

70000/365 = 191.7808219178082 (192) calls per day
192 / 10 = 19.2 (20) calls per unit.

It's not uncommon for our trucks to do over 20 calls on a shift. We have 2 hospitals in the city (1 cath lab 1 local) and a major metro of every type of hospital right next door. High turnover of calls and high population area 105,000. Also add into the fact those numbers also represent 2 ALS fly cars that intercept for local and more rural surrounding fire departments. So if you want to be technical you space those calls and out more and adjust the square mileage with those 2 intercept trucks. But they're in 2 separate areas. Not a pissing match for me so I wouldn't give false numbers. Hopefully that straightened things out for your calculator

Yeah, but almost 75% is empty desert ;) BURN DHS.
However we are still responsible for it. How we would to a call in the middle of the desert is a different story.

We cover 6100 sq miles with 70k + a year and generally 15-20 ALS units during a 24 hour period not all are on at once.

105,000 is a high population area?

We cover 6100 sq miles with 70k + a year and generally 15-20 ALS units during a 24 hour period not all are on at once.

105,000 is a high population area?

Yeah for a city thats 6.25 sq miles that doesnt leave to much elbow room. Not including the 2 universities which would jump that number

To quote a previous thread
"I did some of my internship with pro. It was a great service and all of my preceptors were great. The 24 hours shift were killer though. It may be different now but they ran 3- 24hour trucks (3als or 2 als-1bls) and would have anywhere between 7 and 12 peak trucks on. During the day it was around 8-12 and most all were ALS. I averaged 14-18 calls per shift."

9 ALS engine companies and 6 BLS ambulances (only 4 overnight between 1930-0730, although there's talk that at least one if not both our 12 hour ambulances will convert to a 24 hour unit within the next year), covering 30.5 square miles, population of 196,000, with approximately 13,000-15,000 calls per year. Anacedotally (based off my own experience and not on hard statistics) the 12 hour units average 4-6 calls a shift, and the 24 hour units average 10-12 calls a shift.

What size image are you guys trying to upload?
2.3 MB

I guess ill shut up, I thought my company was just being cheap for only having 7 units during the day (peak) and 4 at night. 25k calls seems like nothing.

And last night we only ran 1 call. Definetly not what I was expecting but since I'm on a 24 at another job...ill take it!

I guess ill shut up, I thought my company was just being cheap for only having 7 units during the day (peak) and 4 at night. 25k calls seems like nothing.

And last night we only ran 1 call. Definetly not what I was expecting but since I'm on a 24 at another job...ill take it!

lol I did a 12 last night at one of the busier stations. Don't even know how many calls I ran. Now I'm off until Wed for a slow 24!

People with impending doom and begging me not to let them die; really &$@? with my head.

Especially when they die 10min later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415491352.834520.jpg

Chaz & STX Why do you guys say that?
I've never had the experience (yet) so I'm just curious.

...if you want to share I understand it can be a tough subject

No MICN, I did not get a BP on our 6 month old seizing patient. Why? Because he is seizing and he is too small for us to get BPs on.

Kind of thought he would have known that considering the Peds ED at that hospital doesn't even BPs on kids that young.

Back