the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Welcome to my area where paramedics don't carry pumps. You want a pump you just upgraded that transport from ALS to CCT :glare:

Lol and out here I can take pumps and vents as a normal medic on 911

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Never actually used one. I just know my old service carried them.
IMHO, that's about as much use as they should get... seen, never used. The ones that did work weren't exactly all that accurate. They had to be adjusted a bit to get the flow rate right. It was usually just easier to leave it open (we were required to have them inline for certain drips) and just regulate the gtt using the rolling clamp. :wacko:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Post Number 41544 at the bottom of the page
The semester I went thru EMT class is the last semester it was taught here. 500cc with a macro drip set to be infused in 1 hour, how many drops per second do you need? It wasn't hard at all. Just had to really think back.

Cut to post Number 41561 at the top of the next page
Lol and out here I can take pumps and vents as a normal medic on 911

I think the Tapatalk app on my phone is shorting me posts :glare:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
For drips, I always do this.

mL/hour = gtt/min with 60 gtt drip set (micro).

So if you want 500 mL/hour, with a micro drip set, it's 500 gtt/min.

For 10 drip set, I divide what I would get with a 60 drip set by 6 (cause 60/10 = 6). For a 15 drip set, I would divide what would get with a 60 drip set by 4 (cause 60/15 = 4). With a 20 drip set, I would divide by what would I get with a 60 drip set by 3 (cause 60/20 = 3).

I think a lot of areas consider a 10 gtt drip set to be macro, not sure if they consider 15 gtt or 20 gtt drip sets to be macro also, but I've seen those too.

Anyhow! If I want 500 mL/hour with a macro drip set, with a micro drip set it's 500 gtt/min, then it's 500/6 (to convert to 10 gtt drip set/macro drip set), or 83.3 gtt/min.

If you want to find out how much drips per second, you would divide by 60 to convert it to gtt/sec.

(500/6)/60 = 1.38 gtt/sec

Obviously can't give a fraction of a drip. Not sure whatever everybody stance is on this, but I usually just floor() by removing what's after the decimal. If I want precision, I use a smaller drip set. I usually find out how much drips I need per 15-30 seconds when adjusting the flow.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just had one of the new LMAs fail. Size five wouldn't even come close to sealing. Pulled right out with no effort. And my ezio wouldn't work either. Damn that was a bad code

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just had one of the new LMAs fail. Size five wouldn't even come close to sealing. Pulled right out with no effort. And my ezio wouldn't work either. Damn that was a bad code

My last shift, two of our BVM's failed. They wouldn't expand properly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Tell the hose monkeys to let go of the bag and it'll inflate

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Tell the hose monkeys to let go of the bag and it'll inflate

They actually wanted to CPAP this patient. Unresponsive, systolic of 60, and shallow breaths. We can totally CPAP that patient, right?:rolleyes:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They actually wanted to CPAP this patient. Unresponsive, systolic of 60, and shallow breaths. We can totally CPAP that patient, right?:rolleyes:

Damn right we can... With an ETT.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

It's the way we store the BVM inside the response bags and at station. They are not collapsed properly.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's the way we store the BVM inside the response bags and at station. They are not collapsed properly.

Yup, I checked my usual units bag the next day and guess what? It was also messed up. Trashed that one, collapsed it the right way and then put it in the bag.

They really need to come up with a better bag system than what we have for things like this.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yup, I checked my usual units bag the next day and guess what? It was also messed up. Trashed that one, collapsed it the right way and then put it in the bag.

They really need to come up with a better bag system than what we have for things like this.

It's not bad if our people would place them properly instead of just shoving it in there.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Yikes! That's meets all of the county criteria for not using CPAP

Then the EMT captain comes up and says, "Why isn't he on CPAP!?!"

tumblr_inline_ms2qnzicsN1qz4rgp.gif

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
At about that point I'd start looking around for cameras because I'd feel like I was on a TV show, or something. :ph34r:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Then the EMT captain comes up and says, "Why isn't he on CPAP!?!"

tumblr_inline_ms2qnzicsN1qz4rgp.gif

A couple of months ago we were running a call with city fire and their new hire EMT wanted to place the patient on CPAP. The fire captain told him to go and get it if he wanted to use it (our ambulance was parked a good distance away). When he got back we were already walking out of the doors with the pt on the gurney. The fire medic had a nice little talk (it actually was nice) about only operating under your scope.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Lets just CPAP everything just in case.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
My 9 year old daughter is amazed by the fact that I just went and bought "pads" for my wife.

"...but you're a boy, dad. What if the cashier was a girl?"