the 100% directionless thread

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
My partner and I were on one of the back roads and found a new use for one of the old trucks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 243

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Mom is doing better, thanks for all the well wishes.

It's a cardiac kind of day...new onset AF to start the day, then a 2* Mobitx Type II, and this last one was a 2:1 A-flutter with a V rate of 130...

My brain hurts.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
100 question A&P test on 3 chapters. Done in 25 minutes and first one done in the class of 60+ students. I felt good about the test but I don't like finishing that quick [insert classy joke about my sex life].

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a reason the resident's lounge is behind a locked door.

I can't help but think that this applies to teacher's lounges, etc.

Any profession where there's information asymmetry, the professional will tend to find lots of things the "customer" does funny or stupid.

Like calling 911 for a small lac. Or a mild fever.

*whining about US EMS over for now*

I felt good about the test but I don't like finishing that quick [insert classy joke about my sex life].

Snicker...snicker... :rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can't help but think that this applies to teacher's lounges, etc.

Any profession where there's information asymmetry, the professional will tend to find lots of things the "customer" does funny or stupid.

I think it's simpler than that. Shop talk is shop talk. Healthcare workers are going to look at disease and sick people differently than the rest of society because it's their job. They're more familiar with it. That makes situations that aren't interesting or funny to normal people funny to people involved with it. ...and it's no more a defense mechanism than the mechanic joking around about what he found in the back seat of the car he last worked on.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Apparently one of our local bandaid stations is against analgesia for children...

100 mcg of fent (50 and 50) over 15 minutes for a 45kg 11 year old with a shattered ankle...seems very appropriate to me.

So glad this day is over.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Mom is doing better, thanks for all the well wishes.

It's a cardiac kind of day...new onset AF to start the day, then a 2* Mobitx Type II, and this last one was a 2:1 A-flutter with a V rate of 130...

My brain hurts.

Glad to hear that about your mom. Parents being sick is no fun, especially when they're young.

Picked up some overtime downtown. I forgot how much I dislike posting. Interesting night so far though.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I forgot how much I dislike posting. Interesting night so far though.

There are busy EMTs and Paramedics all over the world, wishing they could post, but look at you... hate posting... how dare you. <_<

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
There are busy EMTs and Paramedics all over the world, wishing they could post, but look at you... hate posting... how dare you. <_<

I'm spoiled, for sure. I do love my job, but a bed would be nice right now.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Me: It really is unfair that guys do not have to suffer anything comparable to menstruation
Guy: Yes we do; its called putting up with girls who have it!

*looks for some sort of sharp object suited to wounding

Um ... wrong answer? :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I finished the didactic portion of paramedic school today. All I have left is clinicals and my internship.

150 question multiple choice final. I was the only person in our class to score above 90% on the final. I got 96%. The next best score was 88%. I'm kinda shocked.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I love the look on someone's face when it all comes together and COPD retreats. 68 y/o F with COPD exacerbation, weighed maybe 90 pounds, emaciated with a classic barrel chest and very quiet lung sounds. Jumped straight to BiPap with albuterol and atrovent, Solu-medrol and adjusted the CPAP for her as we went (mostly just turned up the rise time and the sensitivity), used it to push in a neb treatment, and eased her work of breathing considerably. I took her granddaughter along (21 y/o who knew all of the history) as a living nebulizer holder and historian, and she was suitably impressed with the whole non-emergent thing (asked how to be a paramedic, etc). I'm pretty sure I was being flirted with too, but white chicks don't do it for me anymore and the entire married thing is a pretty sweet deal that I'm in no hurry to get out of. Capnography improved dramatically from small shark-fins with values of 18 to big, spiky, nasty-looking deals with values of 50+ and improvement in lung sounds, with rounding of the waveforms, some improvement in sounds and effort and decrease in value to the low 40s by ER arrival, at which point the methylprednisone started to work and the exacerbation was resolved. SpO2 went from 83 at contact to 97% on 2L an hour later when I came back through with another patient (total of about 1.5 hours since I started treating her). Her family was pretty impressed:)

Yep. I love my job.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I love the look on someone's face when it all comes together and COPD retreats. 68 y/o F with COPD exacerbation, weighed maybe 90 pounds, emaciated with a classic barrel chest and very quiet lung sounds. Jumped straight to BiPap with albuterol and atrovent, Solu-medrol and adjusted the CPAP for her as we went (mostly just turned up the rise time and the sensitivity), used it to push in a neb treatment, and eased her work of breathing considerably. I took her granddaughter along (21 y/o who knew all of the history) as a living nebulizer holder and historian, and she was suitably impressed with the whole non-emergent thing (asked how to be a paramedic, etc). I'm pretty sure I was being flirted with too, but white chicks don't do it for me anymore and the entire married thing is a pretty sweet deal that I'm in no hurry to get out of. Capnography improved dramatically from small shark-fins with values of 18 to big, spiky, nasty-looking deals with values of 50+ and improvement in lung sounds, with rounding of the waveforms, some improvement in sounds and effort and decrease in value to the low 40s by ER arrival, at which point the methylprednisone started to work and the exacerbation was resolved. SpO2 went from 83 at contact to 97% on 2L an hour later when I came back through with another patient (total of about 1.5 hours since I started treating her). Her family was pretty impressed:)

Yep. I love my job.

Nice. I love these types of call because we actually get to make a difference and watch it happen.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
So here is my story from yesterday.

Full arrest, but as usual the call comes down as a fall with two patients.

Arrive to find Pt #2 sitting on the ground holding her head proclaiming loudly the "large" amount of blood coming from her head. We'll come back to her.

Pt #1 prone and has that "I need CPR look." Sure enough he does. CPR, pretty routine, except for the fire medic intubating the esophagus then taking on the how-dare-you-question-my-god-like-skills attitude. No one listens to Turtle (movie reference). ET tube is fixed, normal full arrest, but the patient dies.

Back to Pt # 2: during her initial proclamations of exsanguination she also starts pointing at Pt # 1 and complaining loudly about how he hit her and made her fall, and that someone needs to do something etc. (real a-hole-like) :glare:. She shuts up fast when we start compressions and doesn't say a word the rest of the time.

Turns out, Pt # 1, when he went full arrest, DFO'd and fell on her causing her to take a header into the base of an ATM machine. She did end up having a minor lac on her head. She got transported after fire over reacted and c-spined her. To further the karma, the ambulance that transported her broke down. To make things better, her last name...I wish I could share, but a suitable synonym is fortune... :rofl:

Sometimes it's the little things :ph34r: