the 100% directionless thread

Rob, you can't go wrong with a used F250 diesel. However you said you wern't towing much so I'm going to reccomend an gasser. Diesels are meant to tow not drive up to your local super market and bug a gallon of milk.
A diesel will last longer, avg 400 to 500k miles, they're exceptions as with a gasser. Unless you change your own oil, a diesel will cost you around 150$ to change the oil. Since you said you'll be towing a snowmobile trailer sometimes, I urge to get 4x4. I'll send you some info in a pm.

Rob, you can't go wrong with a used F250 diesel. However you said you wern't towing much so I'm going to reccomend an gasser. Diesels are meant to tow not drive up to your local super market and bug a gallon of milk.
A diesel will last longer, avg 400 to 500k miles, they're exceptions as with a gasser. Unless you change your own oil, a diesel will cost you around 150$ to change the oil. Since you said you'll be towing a snowmobile trailer sometimes, I urge to get 4x4. I'll send you some info in a pm.

Awesome thanks. My buddy's dad has a F250 crew cab 4x4 powerstroke that I had the privilege of towing with the other day and it was awesome.

4x4 is definitely a requirement. I spend a LOT of time in the snow and do a fair share of camping off the beaten path in the summertime.

Longevity, reliability and MPG has kinda been my reason for preferring a diesel but like I said, I'm not opposed to a gasser if it's going to tow well, be reliable and last a while. I just don't want to end up buying a truck that wont tow my toys if I get any more down the road.

Also a SledDeck is a big possibility for those days where it's only two of us riding rather than dealing with a trailer.

Truck isn't going to be lifted or messed with. A leveling kit, some wheels and that's about it. Oh and a stereo :D

With a 25 foot toy hauler you want at least a 2500/250. Toy haulers are extremely heavy compared to normal travel trailers.

I agree with Achilles on 4x4 (little worse gas mileage).

Diesels have ups and downs.

Ups: more power, last longer, generally more reliable, depending on the year you don't have to smog them.

Downs: insurance is usually more expensive, oil changes go from $20 up to $150, if/when something breaks it is more expensive, not all gas stations sell diesel, and they usually cost more to buy.

The fords are known for their frame work. Dodge is known for their Cummins motor and Chevy is known for their Allison transmission. The saying around here is that if you attach a Chevy transmission to a dodge engine and put it in a ford frame/undercarriage you would have the ultimate truck.

FYI: if you want a good 4x4 do not get anything with dual wheels in the rear. The traction on them sucks horribly.

Last edited by a moderator:
N7lxi is a guy?
I always thought Lxi was short for Lexi.
I am so sorry dood I had no idea :wacko:

That is embarrassing.

I shall give you the chance to reprieve, any guesses what sex I am? :D

Guy from my medic class/FDNY paramedic lost his 1 year battle with cancer today. Was a great guy :(

With a 25 foot toy hauler you want at least a 2500/250. Toy haulers are extremely heavy compared to normal travel trailers.

I agree with Achilles on 4x4 (little worse gas mileage).

Diesels have ups and downs.

Ups: more power, last longer, generally more reliable, depending on the year you don't have to smog them.

Downs: insurance is usually more expensive, oil changes go from $20 up to $150, if/when something breaks it is more expensive, not all gas stations sell diesel, and they usually cost more to buy.

The fords are known for their frame work. Dodge is known for their Cummins motor and Chevy is known for their Allison transmission. The saying around here is that if you attach a Chevy transmission to a dodge engine and put it in a ford frame/undercarriage you would have the ultimate truck.

FYI: if you want a good 4x4 do not get anything with dual wheels in the rear. The traction on them sucks horribly.

I think I'm pretty set on diesel. Preferably in the 250 weight class. No dually that's for sure, no point. Crew cab and 4x4 are a requirement. I might settle for the right extended cab but again, I'm pretty set on the crew cab.

As far as oil changes go, is there any reason why I can't do it myself? Spent plenty of times around toys with motors and gas motors, just not diesels.

Gas and diesel prices seem to flip flop here each week, generally are pretty close though.

Not my toy hauler but I have a couple of friends with them and they don't always have access to a truck. (read: "I bought some toys and a toy hauler and borrow my pop's truck). Generally would be towing 2-4 place enclosed trailers.

Guy from my medic class/FDNY paramedic lost his 1 year battle with cancer today. Was a great guy :(

Sorry for your loss my friend. My thoughts are with you, his family and other friends. Let me know if you need anything or someone to yell at.

That's awful. I assume he was at least somewhat young. That's hard for everyone involved, especially friends and family. I know it was when I lost my mom to cancer.

I think I'm pretty set on diesel. Preferably in the 250 weight class. No dually that's for sure, no point. Crew cab and 4x4 are a requirement. I might settle for the right extended cab but again, I'm pretty set on the crew cab.

As far as oil changes go, is there any reason why I can't do it myself? Spent plenty of times around toys with motors and gas motors, just not diesels.

Gas and diesel prices seem to flip flop here each week, generally are pretty close though.

Not my toy hauler but I have a couple of friends with them and they don't always have access to a truck. (read: "I bought some toys and a toy hauler and borrow my pop's truck). Generally would be towing 2-4 place enclosed trailers.

Sorry for your loss my friend. My thoughts are with you, his family and other friends. Let me know if you need anything or someone to yell at.

Chevy's have the most room in the extended cab. They are all pretty close on crew cabs.

Dodge has the MegaCab but it is only sold in the short bed model.

Fords have a more reliable 4x4 system.

Oil change is the exact same as regular gas motors. Instead of 4 quarts of oil diesels normally take 16 quarts and I believe their oil filters are more expensive.

photo.jpg

Thanks, NABAHWBSPDBG! I've been busy all day cleaning and sewing, so haven't had a chance to crack one open yet. I have to work tomorrow, so don't want to drink one this late.

Chevy's have the most room in the extended cab. They are all pretty close on crew cabs.

Oil change is the exact same as regular gas motors. Instead of 4 quarts of oil diesels normally take 16 quarts and I believe their oil filters are more expensive.

Dodge doesn't make trucks :P

Nymedic
Sorry to hear that man.
Best friends dad lost his 6 month battle back in 2011. (pancreatic)
That is embarrassing.

I shall give you the chance to reprieve, any guesses what sex I am? :D

Aren't you Kelvin Clare?

I don't need a long bed. Crew cab with a 6 foot box would be plenty. Those Megacabs are way nice though.

I'm not exactly stoked on this but the Heep is losing compression in the #4 cylinder :( I don't remember what the shop said it was and it wasn't terrible yet but it's on it's way out. I can't justify rebuilding the motor in a car that I paid 6k for and already have dropped 1000+ into.

A brand new truck crossed my mind but 600/month plus insurance is a bit steep for me.

That's a lot of oil....

I don't need a long bed. Crew cab with a 6 foot box would be plenty. Those Megacabs are way nice though.

I'm not exactly stoked on this but the Heep is losing compression in the #4 cylinder :( I don't remember what the shop said it was and it wasn't terrible yet but it's on it's way out. I can't justify rebuilding the motor in a car that I paid 6k for and already have dropped 1000+ into.

A brand new truck crossed my mind but 600/month plus insurance is a bit steep for me.

That's a lot of oil....

That's why a lot of people just take them into the shop. 16 quarts is a lot to deal with.

That's why a lot of people just take them into the shop. 16 quarts is a lot to deal with.

If I can buy it from a dealer around here most offer lifetime free oil changes for a decent price so I'm going to try and shoot for something like that. I think I'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and look around. I just hate going to car dealerships because they constantly hound you to buy right now.

That's a lot of oil....

I still dont get people that buy new vehicles and have payments that high or higher. Way out of my comfort zone even though I could afford it.

I'd find a clean lower mileage '06-07 6.0 Ford SRW 350 and throw all the Bullet Proof diesel parts at it and drive the wheels off it. I know you said a 250 but a single rear wheel 350 is nearly identical except it has a sticker on the door that allows for 1000+ more pounds of payload on the rear axle. That may be useful down the road.

'08 newer Chevys have egr cooler issues along with dpfs. The IFS front ends are weak.

I don't know much about Dodges. Good motors, auto trans can be a weak spot.

Personally I'd get a V10 Ford. I've done the numbers and one or two exspensive diesel repairs and any money saved on fuel is gone to repairs. The savings aren't that great.

Don't get a v10! They have the worst mpg of any pickup.
Rob since you're in Nevada and from what I understand its fairly warm. Be sure your diesel has a block heater!
I'm not sure Nevada would have #2 diesel... :unsure:

Agreed. I have a solid income with job stability especially for a 23 year old but I'd rather spend a little less and be able to save more if I can get a good used truck that wasn't beaten on.

I was waiting for someone to mention the V10 Triton. My friend has a 350 long bed crew cab with it. Fast truck, gets like 6 miles to the gallon though.

I'm not dead set on Ford either. Achilles wants me to be but I'm not. That 06 I got to drive the other day was really nice but I've driven some of the new GMCs and our new rigs are Chevys and they drive pretty nice. Dodges are nice trucks, especially the turning radius and the Cummins, but I'm not a huge fan of how they look or the rest of the truck either.

My friend recommended a Tahoe but I don't need or want a soccer mom mobile, although, I've seen some really nice Tahoes around. I'm about 99% set on a 250/350 class truck. Just makes the most sense.

Back