the 100% directionless thread

I have never used the ones without the suction port. We use them exclusively for now, I have heard rumors we may be getting et tubes back because of the new data coming out on them.(the king)

I called that at my service from the first day we got them. I didn't like them the moment I laid eyes on them. Now, that is due to no great knowledge on my part, it was just a hunch, and I have avoided Kings at all costs over the past two years we have had them.

I called that at my service from the first day we got them. I didn't like them the moment I laid eyes on them. Now, that is due to no great knowledge on my part, it was just a hunch, and I have avoided Kings at all costs over the past two years we have had them.

I've only had the King work 1 out of the 3 times I've used them. I'm not a fan, but then again, I have very limited experience with them.

Hmm coupon code for free engraving. Is getting a caduceus on the head too Ricky Rescue? Lol

engrv_MCardio.jpg

What is a King airway fanboy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you state it as if you went to the King LTD first, then after they failed, you or your partner intubated??????

Like Medic Tim said, we have to use them first pass during an arrest and can only intubate if they fail.

The last three Kings I've used have failed and we have the LTD model with the suction port which we can use for OG tubes or esophageal temp probes for therapeutic hypothermia.

I have never used the ones without the suction port. We use them exclusively for now, I have heard rumors we may be getting et tubes back because of the new data coming out on them.(the king)

Medic Tim,
Are you saying, presently, you don't have ET intubation as an option? When was that taken away? Also, is that in Canada, or the U.S.?

Like Medic Tim said, we have to use them first pass during an arrest and can only intubate if they fail.

The last three Kings I've used have failed and we have the LTD model with the suction port which we can use for OG tubes or esophageal temp probes for therapeutic hypothermia.

NVRob,
I didn't know places were using the King as your 'first in airway'(if you will).
Does the ED pull it when you walk in and replace it with an ETT?

Curious as to what constitutes a failure of a King? They seem, in theory, fail safe. I know, in theory...

Medic Tim,
Are you saying, presently, you don't have ET intubation as an option? When was that taken away? Also, is that in Canada, or the U.S.?

Where I work in Canada we lost ETI 3-4 years ago when the government took over the ambulance system. Long story short the training varied from service to service (prior to take over) so when they introduced province wide protocols and went from over 30 to 1 medical director, they were based on the lower skill set. To my knowledge every other province has ET tubes available for ALS. Of the 1200 or so medics in the province only 30-40 of us will be able to do it if/when it happens. Our system is still in the growing pains stage and because the government and politicians have their hands in the pot it takes forever to get anything done.

Where I volley in the US we use ETT first pass with a king or LMA backup.

NVRob,
I didn't know places were using the King as your 'first in airway'(if you will).

Curious as to what constitutes a failure of a King? They seem, in theory, fail safe. I know, in theory...

So they are our first line for arrests, ETT still is preferred with a perusing rhythm. Yes the Ed pulls them, every now and again they will use a boogie to do the exchange but they usually just yank it and use a glidescope.

The biggest issue is if you don't insert it correctly the tongue occluded he airway when the cuffs are inflated and it ends up working just like an ETT in the 'goose.

TPC Marriott resort.... That last call made up for the gomere before it. Wow.

NVRob,
My medical director prefers we do a King on an arrest, jumping to an ETT when a King is either unwarranted, doesn't work, or once we get ROSC. However, with some studies now coming out looking down on Kings, and again favoring ETI, we shall see...

Nothing wrong with ETI in cardiac arrest so long as you don't stop compressions to do it. If you can't intubate during compressions, then don't intubate.

Firefighters. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hit a opossum. I think I may cry.

My eos time was 3 hours ago. We are 2 and a half hours out of town atm. We still gotta get gas and do paperwork still. ):

Congrats on the successful delivery, Pup! I know the one I caught, afterwards I was like, "That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be!" Isn't it a great feeling to be present for a happy event for a change?

It is good for a change. As most of calls go hand in hand with misery and suffering its good to be part of a happy event. The parents were nice people and very thankful.

Congrats Puppy!

I am one of the few people at my service that actually will run a childbirth call willingly, and I am also like the only one who has never been paged on anything close.

Good on ya for making the student get in the "splash zone." :-D

I remember thinking "wow these guys are so nice letting me take point on the labor call" :/ Never ever ever ever again if I can avoid it. That which is seen can not be unseen.

There's not better way to learn than to be forced. Even though I put him in the hot seat I sat nearby and let him know I was gonna assist. We ran through who would be doing what and had all the gear set up. Our students are all university students who do internships during their uni semesters. This guy is about to graduate and they need as much experience as possible. I'm glad we got the call- my first delivery in nearly 3 years so it was somewhat rare for the student to get to experience this.

It is good for a change. As most of calls go hand in hand with misery and suffering its good to be part of a happy event. The parents were nice people and very thankful.

There's not better way to learn than to be forced. Even though I put him in the hot seat I sat nearby and let him know I was gonna assist. We ran through who would be doing what and had all the gear set up. Our students are all university students who do internships during their uni semesters. This guy is about to graduate and they need as much experience as possible. I'm glad we got the call- my first delivery in nearly 3 years so it was somewhat rare for the student to get to experience this.

Dream clinical instructor, right there.

Got in an accident last night. Hit a parked car pulling out of a parking lot. (Doh)
Dented the rear quarter panel and broke a taillight. And it was a BMW :(
My truck is okay though. Infact there is not a mark on it.
The worse part is the police non emergency number had office hours, so I had to call 911. I felt so guilty for having to dial 911 for that :huh:

Back